Universal Credit LCWRA - any work allowed at all ? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit LCWRA - any work allowed at all ?

2»

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @lisathomas50. If you check your statements it should show how much they allowed you to earn. The comments they make on journal aren't always the most accurate. The deductions are worked out automatically so it's unlikely to have been wrong on your actual statement. 

From April 2020 the work allowance for someone renting was £292, from April 2019 it was £287 and before this it was £198.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Cooper1
    Cooper1 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi, sorry to be a pain, thank you for the information,i still havent had any confirmation on line from UChowever they quoted on the helpline from the following gov.co.uk document  So it says you can volunteer, nothing else, Imnot disputing at all what info has been given about work allowance as thats what i had thought but this is what they are quoting from.  Can anyone comment as to why they are stating something different,  

0. Limited capability for work and work related activity

If it is decided you have limited capability for work and work related activity (LCWRA) you are not expected to look for work or to prepare for work, though you can volunteer.

You may be eligible for an additional amount for having LCWRA.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    This is just saying you are not expected to look for work in this group 

What you were asking is about permitted work allowance 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Adrian_Scope said: This isn't quite accurate. With UC, the more you work the higher your overall income will be, just less will be from UC. Of course there does need to be some consideration for loss of other benefits such as help with prescriptions, council tax support, free school meals etc though. 
    The amount you can earn before deductions is currently £292 is you receive help with rent costs and £512 if you don't receive help with rent costs. These amounts are set to change to £293 and £515 in April 2021.
    Just wanted to pick up on the important point made by Adrian regarding what are known as ‘passported benefits’. For free prescription, dental treatment etc there is information here https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/help-with-health-costs/help-with-health-costs-for-people-getting-universal-credit/.
    Someone with a LCWRA included in their UC award can earn £935/month before losing free prescriptions etc.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Adrian_Scope please don't take this the wrong way if it would be possible to say wether that just concerns England or England and Wales as prescriptions are free to everyone who lives in Wales  
  • calcotti
    @Adrian_Scope please don't take this the wrong way if it would be possible to say wether that just concerns England or England and Wales as prescriptions are free to everyone who lives in Wales  
    Adrian_Scope said: Of course there does need to be some consideration for loss of other benefits such as help with prescriptions, council tax support, free school meals etc though. 
    I can’t see that what Adrian posted is in any way misleading, he merely pointed out that there are some other things that may need to be considered. Even in England there are many working age people who are exempt from prescription charges (for example due to having a particular health condition or being over 60).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @lisathomas50 are prescriptions free for everyone in wales ? That's very generous compared to England 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @janer1967 yes everyone gets free prescriptions if you live in Wales  that's why I am always asking if posts relate to Wales aswel because we have our own government and have different things compared to England  same as Blue badge parking therexare no fees at all but in England I know of a few car parks that charge for disabled parking even though it is at a lower rate  I am a minority of people who are Welsh on here makes it difficult sometimes ? 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @calcotti I was merely pointing out that all people in wales get free prescriptions so nothing would affect prescriptions 
  • calcotti
    janer1967 said:
    @lisathomas50 are prescriptions free for everyone in wales ? That's very generous compared to England 
    Scotland and Northern Ireland are free too.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @calcotti England just like makeing money ?  no offence to England 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.