Are you religious? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you religious?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I'm not religious but if stuff is going wrong in my life (as it frequently does) I shout out "Jesus H Christ!"

• foxuk
    foxuk Community member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    I think the best label for my religious belief is 'confused' - I have Quaker tendencies but have real problems with pacifism - turning the other cheek made one become a target where I grew up.

Organised Religions seem to have very little to do with their original beliefs and those involved in them are in many cases even further away.
  • encaser
    encaser Community member Posts: 400 Pioneering
    @lisathomas50 I'm not surprised you do ask why, with good reason, and miss them terribly. It also makes sense that you talk to them in mind or, even aloud as a way of still feeling connected and reassured in your daily life. Loss such as yours, can be such a heavy burden to carry alone and can last a lifetime - no matter how a person tries to deal with it. If what you do works, why not!
    I don't judge others for believing in a god, spirit or, simply the theory that there is something bigger and better out there for us and everything to exist in the first place.
    If more people believed in the principle of treating others as you want to be treated, that'd be a good start to offering greater comfort for all - as long as you're not a masochist!
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m intrigued @BrettW, do you get results?

i have read many stories about the intervention of saints for example.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @encaser that is very true treat people how you would like to be treated  i di this i my every day life and on here but it doesn't always work for lots of reasons 
  • leeCal
    Each drop of water wears away the stone.
    ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Being a Christian, Catholic by denomination I feel that those that process to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ lost their way the moment religion was given the recognition by the Roman Emperor Constantine, making the Christian faith the national religion hence the name the Holy Catholic Church, Catholic meaning universal. When things go wrong we turn to God and ask why, my answer is we have free choose just as Adam and Eve did in the garden, don’t eat of the tree of knowledge. Jesus told them you will have the poor with you always you can help when you like, the widow put all she had in the Temple coffers while the rich put in their surplus. If we helped the lowly and down trodden we would all live in  a nice safe environment free running water cloths to wear food to eat. But just look at the over eating and cloths buying is done just because we can afford to indulge ourselves. The overseas aid sent year in year out and still millions are not able to access clean drinking water because of greed of the foreign government officials taking a cut of the donations. They had the free will not to take or interfere with the donated funds but denied the needy of their aid. The church members feel safe while in their churches doing what they think or believe is right but that is not what Jesus message was all about, love your neighbours as your self.

• BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    edited January 2021
    @leeCal Pagan beliefs aren't really the same as mainstream religions. Some people who follow these beliefs don't acknowledge a god(s) at all though a lot do.

The belief system itself is more about balance and the employment of will and personal choice rather than calling on the power of a higher entity per se and the majority that do see this interaction as a partnership rather than expecting an all powerful diety to intercede for them. It is more a case that a persons own will and choices can influence their surroundings. A lot of these new age people who claim to make 'love potions' and the like are basically talking out of their rectums in my opinion and these people seem to thrive on the attention it gets them in claiming to be a 'witch' and also the financial rewards it can bring them.

You have to remember that Paganism itself is the encompassing term for a set of common or similar beliefs. Wicca, Druidism, Shamanism, etc are religions that all come under the umbrella of paganism, and magic, witchcraft, etc are practices that may or may not be practiced within the bounds of these beliefs. Satanism is the interesting one that everyone lumps in with paganism, when in fact its an 'anti-christian' religion. Pagans don't believe in Satan :smile:
  • leeCal
    That’s interesting @BrettW, thank you.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• BrettW
    you're welcome :smile:
  • Daffodil
    Daffodil Scope Member Posts: 6 Connected
    I am not overtly religious, but my mother was and she was a wonderful person.  She passed on to me the wonder of being in a beautiful world of fantastic events and happenings. She was very wise and kind and her compassion for people all over the world was exemplary.  Many religious people I have met have exhibited this selfless and caring attitude and I admire and respect them for it.  I do believe that those who follow their religion for the good of mankind do make for a better world. And I would fight for every human being to believe what they wish and lead a free and happy life.  No-one is perfect.
  • leeCal
    Often people say that they are not religious but they are spiritual, I wonder what’s the difference exactly?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• AndyGT
    AndyGT Community member Posts: 736 Pioneering
    I wan't to be but am not sure that I am or it is a wish or desire? I was baptised Catholic, Went to a Catholic school, Confirmed and got married in a Catholic Church. So if asked I would say that I am Catholic, but, there are a couple of things  that I disagree with and really can't just shake it off.  I really want to believe and I do, but I'm not 100% sure what I believe in.... I just know I believe in something.   I try to do the right thing. I try to be a good person znd I try to do what is best.  I make mistakes and gets things wrong  but I am human.  So, am I religious I would say yes..... of sorts.  What religion however is a different question.  
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    My sister in law's Roman Catholic, and I think she tries to attend Church at least once a week.

• BrettW
    My dad got excommunicated because he married my mum in a CofE church. My grandad was devote Catholic 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    edited February 2021
    leeCal said:
    I’m intrigued @BrettW, do you get results?

[Removed by moderator - inappropriate comment]
  • AndyGT
    My mother was Catholic and Father was C of E.  They weren't allowed to get married on either and got married in a Baptist Church.  All my brothers (there are 3 of them) and myself went to a Catholic school and my Dad(C of E) paid a small fortune over the years to the School funds.  
  • BrettW
    My dad says he doesn't believe any of it @AndyGT but he still has strong Catholic values regardless of that fact. Like I said my grandfather was very devout Catholic and my father and all his siblings were sent to Catholic schools and made to attend church and sunday school every week. I think you never fully lose things that are instilled into you as a child regardless of what your opinions become in adult life.
  • leeCal
    edited February 2021
    . I think you never fully lose things that are instilled into you as a child regardless of what your opinions become in adult life.
    Definitely true @BrettW

― Dalai Lama XIV

• AndyGT
    I would agree to a large extent but I would say that there are exceptions.   When for whatever reason you move away from what you were shown as a child.   Sometimes that movement is dependent on what you think you were taught.   By that I mean you were brought up to believe that you should help those less fortunate than yourself, but the question is how?  How do you help.  Now before I go any further I am NOT saying which one of these (if any) I believe in. I am just using them to illustrate a point.... As I was saying..... If you were brought up to help others do you a) help them by giving them money?  b) Help them by giving money to a 3rd party (charity) or c) giving them the 'tools to do the job or d) Nothing, as they are the best People to know what they want and need and we shouldn't interfere....  As I was saying you are taught one thing as a child and it would be quite easy to drift away to believe something else  whether that is just the way your thought pattern works or it might simply be through peer pressure.

Brightness