Could they leave my wife's (on ESA SG) reassessment until she starts claiming state pension? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Could they leave my wife's (on ESA SG) reassessment until she starts claiming state pension?

Paul60
Paul60 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello everyone, this is my first post and was wondering if anyone could shed some advice please. I am the carer for my wife who is in the ESA support group and also receives the higher elements of PIP due to her ill health.. She reaches state pension/retirement age in less than 12 months but her ESA review on her previous award 18 months ago said it would be due December 2020. However we have not had any renewal notifications from DWP and her ESA continues to be paid as normal.. Does anyone know if there is a delay in reassessments due to Covid and as her ESA will end once she reaches state pension age is it possible they may leave her alone and just stop her ESA at the end of this year when she begins claiming state pension.. Hope this is not too long but I am confused as to what the process is.. Thank you all and stay safe...

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

The review date for support group is just a guide and until a review takes place she will continue to be paid 

There are backlogs for reviews all you can do is prepare for the review taking place and hope like you said as she is near retirement age they may leave her alone 

Fingers crossed 
  • Paul60
    Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful reply, I hope they will leave her alone until she reaches state pension age at the end of the year!
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Paul60and a very warm welcome to the community, glad you've joined us. 

As mentioned above, given her age fingers crossed they leave it be and everything transitions smoothly :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Paul60
    Thank you Ross for your kind welcome message and reply to my question, much appreciated...
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad the above advice was helpful @Paul60 :) Please do keep us updated. 

Please also feel free to have a look around the rest of the community. The coffee lounge is a great place to meet our other members, and the list of recent discussions will give you an opportunity to have your say on what our members are talking about right now. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    May I ask if you are older or younger than your wife? If you are younger there may be other benefit issues you need to consider before she reaches pension age if you are claiming any means tested benefits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Paul60
    Hi calcotti, I am a few years younger than my wife but I do not claim any benefits as I have a works retirement pension and we do not claim any form of means tested benefits.. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Paul60 said:
    Hi calcotti, I am a few years younger than my wife but I do not claim any benefits as I have a works retirement pension and we do not claim any form of means tested benefits.. 
    No problem then.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.