Hi, I'm 3090! Had a letter about my PIP tribunal appeal - what does it mean? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm 3090! Had a letter about my PIP tribunal appeal - what does it mean?

3090 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited January 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Gone to tribunal for pip appeal. Received letter today saying there are no grounds to revise decision under appeal. This is from secretary of state supplementary submission to the HMCTS. IT also says they have decided decision under appeal cannot be revised in respect of this evidence. What will that mean for me? Can someone help please 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome @3090 and good luck with your appeal.

As not to confuse you, I've moved your thread to our PIP, DLA and AA category and amended the title slightly to help others spot it.  Please let us know if you have any other questions and be sure to let us know how you get on.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Thank you mikehughescq. It so worrying. Just not knowing. 
    It's really stressful getting these letters and not understanding them. 
    Has anyone had tribunal success even though the dwp has said not to revise the decision made? 
    Has anyone had any success on pip tribunal even though the dwp has said they would be not be revising the decision? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    76% of PIP tribunal decisions revised the DWP decision based on the last statistics available for January to March 2020. See https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/891348/Tribunal_and_GRC_statistics_Q4_201920_accessible.pdf
    I have known a claimant go from no points to an award of Enhanced Rate both components.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited January 2021
    x
    deleted because duplicate answer when threads were merged
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
    I have fibromyalgia and arthritis seems so unfair
  • calcotti
    edited January 2021
    Those are not the latest stats available. Around 97% at one point during lockdown 1. Down to around 85% at present. However, the OP is starting multiple threads on the same topic which isn’t especially helpful. I suggest Scope merge them.
    Thanks Mike - the ones I linked to were the latest ones i could find on a quick search.

I wonder whether the increase in percentage of revised awards reflect HMCTS processing appeals they could deal with during lockdown without a hearing and the more difficult ones are still waiting to be addressed.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Hi @3090

I've merged your threads together to keep all posts relevant to you and your experience in one place.

I appreciate you feeling it's unfair, it's a difficult process to navigate and many wouldn't have persevered as far as you have.  That shows real determination so try to be proud of yourself :) 

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    You have to remember @3090 that PIP is awarded based on how your disabilities affect you not on the disabilities themselves.

If you go to tribunal you need to communicate how exactly these illnesses impact on your everyday life.

For example rather than saying my arthritis means I cant move about easily you would say - Because of pain in my legs and back I cannot walk far. Last week I attempted to walk to the corner shop and only managed to walk 30m before I could not proceed any further. Even with my walking stick this is the maximum distance I could manage. 

You need to provide examples for each of the PIP descriptors that apply to you
    I'm not going to tribunal because of covid. I've sent in evidence of how my condition affects me to the tribunal. These are medical letters 
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    edited January 2021
    Have you sent any corroborating evidence with these letters @3090 The problem with medical letters is that most of the time they will only be useful in highlighting symptoms of illnesses. Unless you submit an account of how your conditions affect you in every day life there is a good chance these letters will be of limited use in strengthening your case at the tribunal
    I understand. I've had a letter written on my behalf as to how my disability affects me. Do you think that would help? 
    Does the secretary of states supplementary submission have a right to overrule a tribunal decision? 
  • calcotti
    If I understand what you are asking...
    The supplementary submission is the the DWP evidence to the tribunal which the tribunal will consider alongside your evidence. It can’t overrule the tribunal decision - the tribunal hasn’t taken place yet.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Hi @3090

I've merged your new thread with your others, as advised earlier, to keep all posts related to your experience in one place.

As @Username_removed pointed out, having representation to support you with the tribunal would definitely be worthwhile.  To find representation, visit the Advice Local website and enter your postcode - selecting 'Welfare benefits' from the drop down topic list.  This will bring up a list of free independent advice organisations who can provide help.

All the best and good luck!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.