Old stuff you still use — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Old stuff you still use

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
Nicked this thread idea from another forum I’m on.

What is the oldest thing that you own that you still use? I reckon some people here will have some great examples!

I don’t mean stuff like artwork or antiques that sit on a shelf I mean stuff that is still in regular use and is used for what it was designed for. 

I have a watch that was bought during the year I was born, so 27 years old. I still wear it though am worried about its waterproofness, should get it tested really.

We also have a kitchen knife that is at least 50 years old. Used daily. Also other kitchen utensils that go back a few generations of family.

Finally lots of tools that also come from old family generations including a saw that is I’d estimate at 80 years old. Still in regular use.

I’m sure someone can beat me! Looking forward to reading your answers.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    We have a potato masher bought from the first ever UK Ikea in Warrington about 30 years ago, really brilliant as it mashes the spuds but they don't stick to it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    We have a huge pan in the family that was given to me by my family, that had been used for years before, I then gave it my daughter in law, who uses it daily. This pan is in good condition and has been around for 50 years I know of.  I guess they don't make them to last today like they did before. I'm sure it will he around and used for many more years.
  • 66Mustang
    @woodbine very cool...they don’t stick to it, that must be some kind of witchcraft!
  • 66Mustang
    @Sandy_123 very nice

I agree most products today seem to be disposable. Even larger appliances like washing machines and dare I say it some cars. I think, though, things were more expensive (inflation taken into account) back in the day. A family member I believe spent a months wages on their washing machine in the 60s! So I guess it balances out a little bit.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang nothing lasts today, Hoover's and appliances. When we were kids our parents only bought something once. I don't recall any thing being replaced or breaking down. Even beds lasted for ever, the big metal ones. I fear I am showing my age lol. I'm more of a fix it person but the kids are it's broke need a new one.
  • woodbine
    edited February 2021
    66Mustang said:
    @Sandy_123 very nice

I agree most products today seem to be disposable. Even larger appliances like washing machines and dare I say it some cars. I think, though, things were more expensive (inflation taken into account) back in the day. A family member I believe spent a months wages on their washing machine in the 60s! So I guess it balances out a little bit.
    we were only talking the other day the first auto-matic washing machine we brought cost over £400 the last one two years ago was £170.

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    I’ve got a lovely jumper which is over forty years old and which I still use. It only has a couple of holes in it where I caught it in a belt sander which is also around forty years old and a great little machine it is too. Especially for making holes in jumpers!

Then theres me broom, had that for over forty years, it’s had seven heads and three new handles. They said look after yer broom... (only fools and horses) ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang one of my cars is from the 40s and still gets used in the summer in car showd 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I still use my base Xbox One at my Parents, until I can get a new Series X, Game are getting stock next week apparently so we're going to get up early and go to the Town one (Dad won't go to Meadowhall despite the ample parking compared to Town)

• gillian72
    gillian72 Community member Posts: 304 Pioneering
    @66Mustang hiya hope ur well an safe ? My heads going slow mo atm I think I managed to take photos off my old stuff I still use lol I've been trying to show @OverlyAnxious for weeks now lol was gonna show them on my profile pic lol so far all I've managed is to remove my pic lol il let u know if I get there lol might not be 2nite lol I've overdone it reading message I send lol ??
  • woodbine
    Am I living in a pararell world? I thought ALL non-essential retailers were closed for the duration? 

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine you can still buy on line I did laugh my brother did facetime to buy his new car he paid on line and the car arrived on a lorry sll the inside coverd in plastic  with a spray that you spray inside the car to get rid of sny germs lol ?  
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    Am I living in a pararell world? I thought ALL non-essential retailers were closed for the duration? 
    Stores are closed, but you can still click & collect.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Think my body is the oldest thing I still use on a regular basis, if only they could be upgraded over time!  :D

I don't have anything really old here.  I reckon the oldest things are probably one or two Umbro T-Shirts, think they cost £2 or so from JJB in the early 2000s but they're a much better fit and quality than any I get today!!  I get new ones pretty much every year as gifts but they never last long before the neck gapes, the material bobbles and the colour fades.

My recliner chair is approx 15 years old, was already 3rd hand when I got it and pretty grim (despite cleaning attempts)...will be glad to replace that when I move!  And up until last month I was using a Henry Hoover that's approx 15 years old too, it's had many hoses and heads, and the power cable has been arcing internally for about 3 years, but it did still work lol.  The most surprising thing is a Karcher pressure washer that I inherited about 10 years ago...obviously not used that often but does still work when needed.

I had to retire my wristwatch in 2018 as it was eating batteries due to internal wear.  I had worn it pretty much every day from 2003!

As others have said, I don't expect anything I buy today to last very long.  My TV is coming up to 10 years old and still works fine but is only 23".  These days you can get a 43" for the same price lol!  But from what I've read, they don't last long.
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    We still use some of my Mothers old Yorkshire pudding tins we got around 16yrs ago when she died at 96 and I remember Mum using them every Sunday since I was a lad. I believe she got them from her mother but I'm not too sure. So they must be 60yrs old at least. They were blackened when we got them and I still think the puddings taste better from old tins like this.  
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I dont really have anything old 

I moved house 2 years ago and have practically had everything new 

I wanted a fresh start and no reminders of my ex husband 

Fortunately with bit of profit from house sale and back pay from my tribunal win I managed to replace all furniture 

Only thing I saved was my 6ft bronze dolphin lamp which is about 18 years old and will stay with me forever 
  • 66Mustang
    Think my body is the oldest thing I still use on a regular basis, if only they could be upgraded over time!

According to QI the body refreshes all the cells that make it up and no part of you is more than 10 years old.

Bones take I think 10 years
    Liver takes I think they said 4 years (hope mine gets a move on)

Sadly we don’t get replaced with body parts that were the original age and we get aged ones instead :D
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    @66Mustang
    With all the same faults as well, which I think is very bad workmanship of our cells... :(
  • coylygirl
    coylygirl Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
    I have a mixer that was a wedding present 34 years ago.  Husband is long gone but the mixer remains  :)
  • 66Mustang
    edited February 2021
    @coylygirl is it a KitchenAid? :) Those last ages I heard.

Brightness