Is it common to get a call without warning from a PIP DM as part of the review process? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it common to get a call without warning from a PIP DM as part of the review process?

JonnycJonny
JonnycJonny Scope Member Posts: 103 Courageous
edited February 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Is it common to get a call without warning from a PIP decision maker as part of the review process ? Had a call unexpectedly today - I thought I would be informed in advance so that I could ready myself.

It seemed to go OK - but it was a shock.

She said I would be awarded at the same rate after going through each descriptor with me.

I would advise anyone going through the review process to have a copy of the review form to hand at all times. 

Comments

• BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    Decision Makers do sometimes call people without notice whilst making the decision on a claim if there is something they want clarifying before making the decision.

If its a health assessment you should normally be given plenty of notice via text or letter as to the date and time that the assessment will occur

In your case it looks like DWP decided an assessment wasn't needed and your claim has gone straight to a decision maker.
  • JonnycJonny
    Thank you for the explanation.

I was in the middle of something and then the phone rings without warning. 

It was unsettling being unprepared for something so important in my life !

I guess the DWP filter out those cases that need clinical input fom ATOS or CAPITA from those which can be considered on the merits of the submitted paperwork.

Best wishes to you.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JonnycJonny

Exactly the same happened to me when it is a DM calling it is a paper based assessmrnt with the DM just wanting bit more info before making a decision 

Great news 
  • JonnycJonny
    Thank you for your reply - recovering from the shock now 

Best wishes to you.
  • kimbychick
    kimbychick Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Hi, do you mind me asking, is it a private number that they call from? 

My review form has been with them for 3 weeks so maybe still a bit too soon for a call but I would like to know what to possibly expect.

Thanks
  • janer1967
    Hi @kimbychick

Just to clarify this is rare for review to be done this way must have an assessment like when you first apply 

The review forms are normally sent out 6 months in advance to allow time for process to be complete b4 current award ends 

So that is an indication of how long it can take 

3 weeks isnt long at all especially with current backlogs 

But yo answer your other question it was a private number my call was from 
  • JonnycJonny
    edited February 2021
    Hi, The call was from PIP - it was not from a private number.

I returned my review form at the beginning of December - so it took them a couple of months to get in touch.

I had been expecting a clinical assessment from ATOS or CAPITA on the phone at some stage but pre-arranged !

It was definitely a non clinician I spoke to  - a DWP decision maker who ran through certain points on my form that needed some clarity - well at least that is what she said. I had no time to prepare which was very off putting

Best wishes to you.

• kimbychick
    I can imagine how alarming that would be. I would have gone into s state of panic.

Is that an 0800 or 0345 number then? 

I wish you luck. Please let us know of any updates.
  • JonnycJonny
    Hi, I have PIP stored as a contact on my phone. It was an 0800 number.

PIP appeared on my phone screen when the telephone suddenly rang.

Will update you.

Best wishes
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    These appear to be the numbers for PIP, I received a call from the very top number.
    @kimbychick
    PIP departmentContact number
    PIP claims0800 917 22 22
    PIP claims (textphone)0800 917 7777
    PIP enquiry line, complaints, appeals, changes0800 121 4433
    PIP enquiry line (textphone)0800 121 4493

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    In Dec 2019 same thing happened with my OH's renewal a 10 minute phone call and was told there and then the award would say the same.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• kimbychick
    Thanks for all your comments. Its always good to hear other people's experiences.

I had been expecting to be written to in advance but now I know I may be called out the blue! 
  • JonnycJonny
    A promised update - exactly a week on from the scary out of the blue call from the DWP decision maker I have received written confirmation that my award has been renewed for a further term 'without the need for a face to face consultation' - obviously a generic phrase as there are no face to face consultations currently happening.

Decision was made on the strength of the paperwork I provided and the severe impact my condition has on Daily Living activities - as I detailed in the review form.

Big advice to everyone - treat the review like a fresh claim and detail exactly how your disability impacts your daily life - DO NOT focus on your diagnosis or medical treatment. 

The decision maker  made no medical references whatsoever on the phone - she stuck to the descriptors.

Best wishes to all.

• janer1967
    Great news thanks for the update 
  • peter1958
    peter1958 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Same hear... out of the blue phone call from private number and called lasted 8 minutes... no questions about the claim form ..just 2 medical questions .... call was only 6 weeks after I received the form  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2023
    peter1958 said:
    Same hear... out of the blue phone call from private number and called lasted 8 minutes... no questions about the claim form ..just 2 medical questions .... call was only 6 weeks after I received the form  

Usually if PIP ring it won't be from a private number, it's usually a 0800 number. A private number suggests it may have been the health assessment providers, who also sometimes ring if they have any questions to ask. Though they will sometimes tell you they are from PIP, rather than saying health assessment providers.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • peter1958
    peter1958 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    She did say she was from PiP and a nurse...   dose this mean I will still have an assessment in the future ?    Thanks for your reply 😀
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    peter1958 said:
    She did say she was from PiP and a nurse...   dose this mean I will still have an assessment in the future ?    Thanks for your reply 😀

If they have enough of information to do a paper based assessment then they will. If not then you'll be sent an appointment date/time in the post at some point in the future.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.