PIP AWARD CONFUSION.. Please help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP AWARD CONFUSION.. Please help

ceecee95
ceecee95 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited April 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
So I'm Carer/Appointee for my partner who is in receipt of PIP and would like some clarification on what this letter means. We believe it's a letter sent due to the extra monies now owed up to the period his current claim has ended.

His claim for STANDARD rates was due to end on the 25th January 2021 and was sent a reminder letter for a new claim which was called in and started on the 29th October 2020. We sent off all evidence and filled forms a week later and ended up finally getting a telephone assessment on the 1st February 2021. I took the phone call and it went really well and the assessor asked plenty of questions and listened about his debilitating condition. A day later when I called the assessors, the assessment was already completed and sent off to the DWP, which was REALLY quick but my judgement was how the assessor was very ''On the ball'' with things.

We received a letter today (4 Days Later) stating he has now been awarded both enhanced rates due to Medical evidence and the health professional consultation report and states has changed the descriptors previously chosen as his circumstances have changed.

The award or ''letter'' states He can get this from the 29th October 2020 to 25th January 2021. Sounds contradicting that these dates have already been and gone. I have noticed the 29/10/20 is the start of the new claim and the 25/01/21 is the date his current claim ends. 

Is this a letter sent to us due to the newly increase of monies they would now obviously owe him from the 29th of October? There is no payment date or monies owed section like the previous award letter. I'm not sure if the main letter for this ''NEW'' claim is in the post and hasn't come today, as this letter looks as if this is compulsory due to the new claim being put in 3 months before his current claim ended.

Sorry for the hassle, We've just never done this before so would like some clarification into his situation as the letter is always very government jargon that makes no sense what so ever.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    @ceecee95 afternoon and welcome to scope, DWP letters can often be very confusing and appear to contradict themselves, the best course of action will be to phone them on Monday and ask them to explain, best time to phone is just as they open before they get busy.
    The good news is that he has been awarded enhanced rates.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @ceecee95

How are you today? 

Yeah that letter does seem a bit puzzling, hopefully giving them a call Monday will help clear it up for you. Government jargon sums it up quite well :D 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • ceecee95
    edited February 2021
    Hi @woodbine
    @Ross_Scope

I'm assuming this award from the 29/10/20 to 25/01/21 is just the money difference then because it hasn't actually mentioned the new award date, just the award from when I called them to start the new claim to the actually closing date of his current PIP claim because we was on standard for daily and mobility and has obviously been awarded enhanced for both and they've taken into account the Assessors report which contradicts it into thinking he's had a 3 month award which is very confusing and stressful when they have not worded it properly, as it even states this;

''I have increased your PIP from 29 october 2020 as this is the date you contacted us to register your new claim.''

I will call them Monday.

I'm assuming another letter must be in the post for the updated claim and review date as this speaks as if this is his actual award yet speaks as if this period has been updated because of the money difference from standard to enhanced.

They even said he can now get free vehicle tax from the 29/10/20 to 25/01/21 which obviously does not make any sense.

Stressful to receive this letter on a Saturday.

Thank you :D
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, definitely not the letter you expect or hope for on a Saturday @ceecee95

Hopefully they can clear it up for you Monday, in the meantime please do your best to relax, enjoy your weekend and put this to the back of your mind :) 

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Fetlock
    Fetlock Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    It sounds like the case manager has messed up when entering the dates on the system.
    So definitely ring them and ask to be transferred to a case manager, as only they will be able to put it right.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    @ceecee95 they are experts on timing letters to arrive on Saturday, wether it's good news or not. Let us know how you get on Monday.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine, reference to DWP letters arriving on a Saturday I have noticed over the last four years of receiving state benefits that these letter have a return address to Ireland if undeliverable. DWP may have an mailing office there where information is processed and mailed from Ireland. Just a thought dam cold out on the scooter no heating.
  • ceecee95
    Hi @woodbine

Just a quick update on my partners case in case anyone else gets one of these letters.

The confusing letter was as expected. It was a letter of award for the period of his previous claim whilst his new claim was being assessed. He was awarded the higher rate and thus the letter was sent because of the difference from standard to enhanced. It was basically a letter of award for that period, although they did not state this in the letter, which caused a lot of confusion into thinking it was a 3 month award.

He has officially been awarded 4 years, as we received another letter detailing the new claim.

So, if anyone else gets a letter because your new claim was being done whilst you was in your previous claim, don't worry, if you get a higher award because it's basically a letter detailing the extra you were entitled to during that period.

Thanks all!
  • GizmoTiddles
    GizmoTiddles Community member Posts: 159 Pioneering
  • davegregson40
    davegregson40 Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Pleased that good news, the PIP itself is a non-means tested benefit and entitlement is having a severe health condition which impacts on daily living, people are entitled to that support for that condition, whether not able to work or able to do some work or other activities 
  • Quinty
    Quinty Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    I find it all very confussing, and get help from my local mental health team. They help me fill in forms, and follow up any issues. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.