Have goverment decided yet Bout the extra 20 pounds — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have goverment decided yet Bout the extra 20 pounds

bevvy40
bevvy40 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Just need an update really on what they are doing for people on uc credit.. I'm classed has vulnerable and had goverment letter advising me to stay at home, I'm also on pip, I dont have any family to rely on,  and it's been hard during this pandemic.. just bed to know what the goverment are doing, because that extra 20 a week comes in handy, especially because I'm unable to work at the moment and havent for a long time because of.my mental health

Have goverment decided yet Bout the extra 20 pounds 0 votes

U. Credit
0%
Uo to date newa
0%

Comments

• bevvy40
    Thank you, I dont even watch the news no more, because it's all doom and gloom 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    There was a mention in a news article last week that they could announce it slightly earlier ahead of the budget if a decision was available. 

However that was a news article so might not be best to rely on that. 
  • MarkM88
    basket123 said:
    @bevvy40
    When checking on new rates for new tax year, no it isnt uplifted.
    But there is talk of them going either £500 or £1000 one off payment to those on UC 
    I’ve heard that too. 

I think there will be uproar off everyone on legacy benefits. 
  • bevvy40
    I think that should give ut to everyone especially ppl who are disabled 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    For what it's worth the latest I have seen is that a decision will be made and announced during the budget on March 3rd, there has been some talk of a helicopter payment of either £500 or even £1000 but the DWP secetary of state seemed to dismiss the idea last week when questioned by the parliamentary committee saying she thought it would discourage people from seeking work....as if !
    Personally I don't buy the idea that people on legacy benefits would be annoyed after all so far we have missed out on around £800.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    MarkN88 said:
    basket123 said:
    @bevvy40
    When checking on new rates for new tax year, no it isnt uplifted.
    But there is talk of them going either £500 or £1000 one off payment to those on UC 
    I’ve heard that too. 

I think there will be uproar off everyone on legacy benefits. 
    One disadvantage of not keeping up with the news. This was floated and then widely ridiculed. 
    Who said I don't keep up with the news?

Just because I said I heard something been said and quoted online, doesn't mean I don't know what's going on. 
  • MarkM88
    edited February 2021
    woodbine said:
    For what it's worth the latest I have seen is that a decision will be made and announced during the budget on March 3rd, there has been some talk of a helicopter payment of either £500 or even £1000 but the DWP secetary of state seemed to dismiss the idea last week when questioned by the parliamentary committee saying she thought it would discourage people from seeking work....as if !
    Personally I don't buy the idea that people on legacy benefits would be annoyed after all so far we have missed out on around £800.
    Quite a few people kicked up a stink when it was first announced, various people online, on forums, through the news, charities, MPs and more. Nothing they can actually do though unless they want to move across the UC. 
  • woodbine
    @MarkN88 most disabled people fully accepted that they already get financial help, the £20 uplift in UC  was to help people who were badly affected by the pandemic, I for one don't feel discriminated against for my money they could double the £20 and leave me out.

• MarkM88
    woodbine said:
    @MarkN88 most disabled people fully accepted that they already get financial help, the £20 uplift in UC  was to help people who were badly affected by the pandemic, I for one don't feel discriminated against for my money they could double the £20 and leave me out.
    Who mentioned disabled people? Who mentioned discrimination? You don't have to be disabled to be claiming legacy benefits.  All I said was, in my experience, at the time when it was announced, there was a lot of people that had plenty to say regarding what they had done in terms of the uplift, including many people that expressed their frustration online, via forums, via charities, via newspapers and through their MPs who tried to get involved. End of. Therefore, in my opinion there will again be people that are annoyed if an extension is announced. 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Would this be for pip as well or just uc
  • MarkM88
    cupcake88 said:
    Would this be for pip as well or just uc
    Universal credit. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Perhaps as Scope is an online community for disabled people (or those who have a disabled relative), it should also be safe to say that 'disabled people' might be mentioned.
  • MarkM88
    @MarkN88 you seem to think we’re having a go at you. My point was a general one that the idea of a lump sum was one touted by Tory MPs who abhor the idea of extending the £20 to any extent. The response to that has been to counter it with the suggestion that a lump sum would disincentivize work search for the period after it was paid. Essentially, as ever, they’re at war with themselves and have decided to play it out in public.

The consequence is that people read these stories and believe something is about to happen when literally nothing will. I would be genuinely amazed if there was any decision on this until after mid March.
    I didn't think you were having ago, it just came across that you were saying I don't keep up with developments or with the news, when I do, so was just pointing this out. 

chiarieds said:
    Perhaps as Scope is an online community for disabled people (or those who have a disabled relative), it should also be safe to say that 'disabled people' might be mentioned.
    Agreed, however the points WE ALL were making, was generally, no specifics to disabled individuals. 
  • woodbine
    MarkN88 said:
    woodbine said:
    Who mentioned disabled people? Who mentioned discrimination? You don't have to be disabled to be claiming legacy benefits.  All I said was, in my experience, at the time when it was announced, there was a lot of people that had plenty to say regarding what they had done in terms of the uplift, including many people that expressed their frustration online, via forums, via charities, via newspapers and through their MPs who tried to get involved. End of. Therefore, in my opinion there will again be people that are annoyed if an extension is announced. 
    Excuse me Mark but keep your shirt on, it was widely debated here and in other places usually thats USUALLY  but not exclusively in regard to benefits for the disabled who were the biggest losers, most benefits are now cont.based and yes some are still on legacy benefits but thats a number that has been reducing in recent years. I won't benefit if the uplift remains as I have lost most of my legacy benefits this year, but thats just how it is and PERSONALLY i hope the extra £20 a week is kept in place because for MANY of those who have received it, it has been a godsend during the pandemic. I hope that's a little easier to understand for you?

• thatsmyname
    thatsmyname Community member Posts: 52 Connected
    bevvy40 i saw a news report yesterday saying they have dropped the idea of giving a lump sum to claimants...but as already stated by another member news stories are not reliable at all....
    So i agree that we wont know until we know! This is frustrating because if they take the £20 away i will struggle even more as most will.

They really should not float ideas around that would get peoples hopes up unless they are going honour those ideas! I knew they would muck around with it then crush peoples hopes.we shall see i guess
  • MarkM88
    woodbine said:
    MarkN88 said:
    woodbine said:
    Excuse me Mark but keep your shirt on, it was widely debated here and in other places usually thats USUALLY  but not exclusively in regard to benefits for the disabled who were the biggest losers, most benefits are now cont.based and yes some are still on legacy benefits but thats a number that has been reducing in recent years. I won't benefit if the uplift remains as I have lost most of my legacy benefits this year, but thats just how it is and PERSONALLY i hope the extra £20 a week is kept in place because for MANY of those who have received it, it has been a godsend during the pandemic. I hope that's a little easier to understand for you?
    Don’t talk to me like that! I was sharing my experience, and what I had come across. It was a general opinion across the country that was shared across many platforms, not just between disabled people like your trying to insist. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello all,
    I'm not going to comment on the subject matter as it seems like it's already been covered. However I will touch on the tone of some of the posts in this discussion. As ever, when reading and writing posts please remember that tone on a forum is very subjective and it is easy to misinterpret or misconvey meaning.

It's rare that someone is meaning to cause offence and I think it's wise for us all to take a step back from time to time and let cooler heads prevail.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    The total payment with both my pip and uc a month is 1200.00  how  is this poverty  line  I live on my own  thats what goes in my bank  once a month  my job I was doing to get thst much money in my bank a month  I was wotking 12 hrs a day 5 days a week 

Yet I am still happy to find another job and work because I like working   but I don't feel like I am on the poverty line  not as a person with dissbility I feel very lucky I am aware that people eithout disability do get less money 

But at least we are better off than  some countries who don't get benefits  or help with housing  and have to pay medical bills 

In my own opinion I think the UK do pretty well ☺
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    The total payment with both my pip and uc a month is 1200.00 
    Equivalent to a regular salary of about £15,800 per year after tax and NI is taken into account. Additionally you presumably get some or all of your Council tax paid for you. As you say that isn't bad and it's good that the support is there for you. Of course your income is boosted significantly by the level of PIP you receive and most benefit claimants will not be getting that.

However the impact of benefits on different people varies so you can't draw a general conclusion from one case. I am more inclined to Mike's view. Third party studies generally highlight how difficult it is to live on benefits and how much stress is caused struggling to balance needs and finances.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    The bottom line is that £20 extra or not, that too many people in the UK live in realtive poverty, whish is around 2/3rds of the average pay which is around £25,000 and more to the point around 4 million children live in families where their income levels fall into the catagory of relative poverty.
    Put even more simply it really isn't good enough that this is happening in the worlds 5th richest nation.
    This isn't something new its been going on for decades now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.