Have goverment decided yet Bout the extra 20 pounds - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have goverment decided yet Bout the extra 20 pounds

2»

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @calcotti yes I I agree I do get all my council tax paid and I only pay a very small amount towards my  rent as I am a private tenant  I consider myself very lucky 

If I was earning  I would have to pay council tax and most of my rent  I belive that has been said that alot of people in benefits do struggle  after my bills have gone out what they call disposable income  I have 300.00 when I worked and paid rent and council tax  and my bills my disposable income was 50.00  both figures monthly 

In my case  even though I do want to work and I am on scope job support I am better off than my last paid job

I just wanted to put another view on the situation 

But over all if you are on just a normal single person benefit I think those are the ones that suffer the post 
  • Lisatho11987777
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,822 Scope online community team
    The total payment with both my pip and uc a month is 1200.00  how  is this poverty  line  I live on my own  thats what goes in my bank  once a month  my job I was doing to get thst much money in my bank a month  I was wotking 12 hrs a day 5 days a week 

Yet I am still happy to find another job and work because I like working   but I don't feel like I am on the poverty line  not as a person with dissbility I feel very lucky I am aware that people eithout disability do get less money 

But at least we are better off than  some countries who don't get benefits  or help with housing  and have to pay medical bills 

In my own opinion I think the UK do pretty well ☺
    I think that's @Mikehughescq point - not everyone on UC is receiving PIP and LCWRA. The standard allowance is difficult for many people to live off.
    For example, someone under 25 on UC waiting for their assessment will be living off just £256.05 a month and likely won't be getting full rent paid. Add a 1-year-old to their household and their income is just £491.88 a month for them both to live off, while often having to top up rent, etc.

£256 for all bills, food, clothes and potentially a rent top-up is pretty low - and lots of disabled people find they are awarded LCW (so no extra money), so that is the reality for many of them too.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Adrian_Scope yes as I put in my last comment  I do agree I was just putting a different view  that not every  person  is on the poverty line due to being on benefits 

There was a good programme on called living on benefits  about two years ago  there were a family of 8 livring on benefits  and with all their benefits and their rent being paid and monthly money they were getting was nearly  three thousand a month 

They were going on holiday  had the best of everything  

Poverty  shouldn't be happening in this day age  but people value you money in different ways and have different ideas about what is essential 

When I was younger I lived on the streets  for two years  people say sorry it hapend to me but I am not sorry  I learnt alot  I still had food  sometimes  had good shelter sometimes bad but there were akways people to talk to people to help  still had the bit of money back then you would queue  for your daily giro  outside the job center  so you could go abd fet your bit of food 

They were actually probably what I would call the better days if my life  where I learnt to value life 
  • thatsmyname
    thatsmyname Community member Posts: 52 Connected
    Even people in full time work sometimes struggle to make ends meet..so benefit payouts matching a working wage still doesnt make many  people better off.what i mean is basically standard rates of wage nowadays are not as good as what they should be! And people on benefits mostly dont get that amount straight away either, so by the time you have been assessed and awarded and backdated most have got into debt struggling and borrowing until awards are put in place.the stress involved in doing all this is almost as brain draining as actually working full time! You mostly have to chase things up and argue and appeal etc...then the fact that you are instantly forced into debt when first claiming universal credit with the advance payment you generally need to apply for whilst first payment arrives! All that on top of trying to deal with health issues is really tiring on the mind body and soul.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,822 Scope online community team
    Really disappointed to see how far off-topic this thread has gone.

I've edited out some personal information shared on screenshots and the thread will remain closed pending review.

- Adrian
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    This discussion is now back open.

Please be mindful to stay on topic, and remain respectful of others. Remember that your written words online may not come across as intended, so it is vital to be considerate about what you write. 

As a reminder, here is the opening post of the discussion, by @bevvy40

"Just need an update really on what they are doing for people on uc credit.. I'm classed has vulnerable and had goverment letter advising me to stay at home, I'm also on pip, I dont have any family to rely on,  and it's been hard during this pandemic.. just bed to know what the goverment are doing, because that extra 20 a week comes in handy, especially because I'm unable to work at the moment and havent for a long time because of.my mental health

Have goverment decided yet Bout the extra 20 pound"

All the best
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Debated yesterday
    https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2021-02-09/debates/50814D06-6F47-44D9-954B-EA5D4171C2B1/SocialSecurity
    discussions remain ongoing with Her Majesty’s Treasury and a decision on the future of the £20 universal credit uplift will be taken by the Chancellor of the Exchequer in due course.”
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Username_removed said: Was it “debated” or postured about? 
    Definitely the latter. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    There is a photo doing the social media rounds of 220 people queuing in the snow on Monday in Glasgow outside a soup kitchen !
    And people say there is no poverty in the UK ?

I'm going to e mail my tory MP and demand he votes for retaining the £20, his name is Richard Head !

link to story:
    https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/homeless-teams-photo-huge-soup-19811740
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    @woodbine homeless people are another thing altogether  they get benefits and they get help but as you said in a previous post will 20.00 be enough to help someone who is homeless 

The government need to put more money into the homeless campaign  when corona virus first started the  government got them off the streets so corona virus didn't spread  

Why can't they do it now ??
  • bevvy40
    bevvy40 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    It's terrible I've just seen in the papers, that a 21 year homeless lad was found dead on our streets in manchester, 
  • woodbine
    Before the pandemic we often travelled through Manchester when going to see our daughter and grandson the number of homeless people walking down from Piccadilly station to Piccadilly gardens was truly heart breaking, even more so that many of them were young women, we always took a pocket full of £ coins but we would make sure we would also spent a minute asking them how they were, I'm not ashamed to say that often I had tears running down my cheeks. It annoys me beyond belief that there are so many rough sleepers in the 2020's.

• Lisatho11987777
    @bevvy40 there is a homeless death memorial page on Facebook I am a member of you can also donate to the rough sleepers charity and also join the campaign to get more homes and support for rough sleepers if they can do it in a pandemic they can do it after as well 

People can also volunteer in homeless  shelters and going out on the streets to make sure rough sleepers are ok the government  need to do more 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine I saw that photo too.  It's heart-breaking to think this is modern day Britain.  So many are going through so much.  

@lisathomas50 They are some good ideas for how to help but I'm inclined to agree, the government have a responsibility to do more.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Cher_Scope the government have a responsibility to do alot of things but they don't  its mostly thorough campaigning and volunteering  and the public that bring the awareness to the government before they even think of doing anything 
  • woodbine
    Thats very difficult to prove either way Mike, but I would rather take my chances on a £1 going to a "scammer" then not give and risk not trying to help. A friend of mine has the attitude that if you give them money they will only spend it on drink or drugs, well tbh I would be walking round off my head on drink and drugs if I was homeless in all weathers.

• Lisatho11987777
    There are thousands of homeless people in wales there are so many some are women with children that hide deep to stop social services tskeing their child when found they are the first to be rehoused 

Its not always a choice to live on the streets its situations  safer on the street  than at home  mental health there are many reasons  as @woodbine said its better to give a pound than miss someone who is realy in need 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.