My wonder cat — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My wonder cat

Options
Oxonlady
Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
I woke up this morning feeling much worse than usual, having been experiencing severe pain for several weeks and attending two hospital appointments this week. I felt totally drained, weak, had speech and memory problems etc and very quickly just felt that I was dying. My cat began behaving strangely. He was constantly circling me and crying loudly. He's never done this before.
I rang the GP surgery to be told to "ring tomorrow". Well that would have been too late...
I rang 111, who sent two Paramedics round. They recognised that I was having an Addisonian crisis and administered a Hydrocortisone injection. 
Gradually I began to feel more alive. 
As soon as I got the injection, my cat stopped crying and not a peep has been heard from him. Though he's still sticking close to me. 
Isn't it ironic that my cat obviously knew that I had an urgent health problem which the Surgery failed to recognise? 

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,067 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Oxonlady how extraordinary, they say animals know things we don't, I mean dogs are trained in these things, but how amazing your cat did that. You both must gave a special bond. I'm glad you got the help you needed at the time.
  • Oxonlady
    Options
    Hi @Sandy_123, thank you for your comments.
    My cat and I do indeed have a special bond!
    When I could still walk, more than six years ago now, Lancelot used to walk quite a long way to the shops with me. He'd wait outside each shop, he knew he wasn't allowed in, then wait outside the post office, pharmacy etc. He'd sometimes sneak through the automated doors into the library but not all the librarians were happy about that. They'd obviously never read the book "Dewey", about a real-life library cat!!!
    Once, the GP receptionist relented and let Lancelot in, he was constantly crying outside the door. As soon as I got my prescription we walked back home. In the summer now, when my carer takes me round the neighbourhood in my wheelchair, Lancelot follows us for our little walk.
    I'm very fortunate to have such an intelligent, loving cat. 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    @Oxonlady wow what a cat, what breed is it, I have a blue British short hair. Love his name Lancelot, very regal. Sorry you cant walk any more must be daunting for you.
  • Oxonlady
    Options
    Hi @Sandy_123.
    Yes Lancelot is my knight in shining fur! He's a tabby.

It's very difficult to get used to becoming disabled and having to depend on a carer for almost everything. 

I had a lovely Carer who died suddenly last autumn, from pancreatic cancer. 
    I've now managed to find another caring lady as my permanent carer, which I'm pleased about, as I haven't been particularly pleased with agency carers. 
    I've also put on loads of weight with being on steroids for over 16 years and that's something else I still can't get used to. 
    Doctors and Social Services don't seem to understand the psychological impact of chronic illnesses and disabilities, as well as the physical impact of course. 

Sorry, I hope I'm not keeping you awake... 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    @Oxonlady thats awful about your carer dying at such a young age. Its good you found a nice one that you like. Agency carers change all the time, it's better to have one that knows you.
    Drs just like to print a script and hope we go away, that's what I found and if we keep returning, well, we get shooed away.
    Your not keeping me up my toes are lol, their swollen with Reynolds so painful.
  • Oxonlady
    Options
    Oh dear, sorry to hear that, @Sandy_123.
    Do you get the same problem with your fingers?
    I hope you can find something that helps. I hope you can get some sleep and rest. 
    I've started feeling faint again so I'm going to try and sleep. Goodnight, thank you for listening tonight and your kind comments. 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    @Oxonlady hopefully your ok if you feeling faint, thanks for the chat. Night night 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Lancelot certainly sounds like a wonder cat @Oxonlady! Thank goodness he alerted you, and the paramedics were able to help. 

I hope that you managed to get some sleep, and that you're feeling a little better today? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Oxonlady
    Options
    Hello @Tori_Scope, thank you for your message.
    I only managed to sleep on and off and I'm not feeling really great today. I tried to get an appointment with the GP, they said he'll ring me sometime this afternoon. But it may not be soon enough, I may have to call an ambulance again. The GPs are not dealing with one of my health problems because each time I ring there's a different doctor on and there's no continuity.
    Thank you for your support. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you're still unwell @Oxonlady :( Definitely do call an ambulance if you feel you need to be seen more urgently. 

I can imagine the lack of continuity is difficult. Have you mentioned this to the surgery? 

• Oxonlady
    Options
    @Tori_Scope, I've sent a complaint in. Yesterday I got through to the surgery and said "I feel as if I'm dying" (which could have happened if the Paramedics didn't come to administer the steroid injection) and all the receptionist said was "ring tomorrow". There may not have been a tomorrow!
    The Surgery needs to improve on several issues, let's see if they take my complaint on board... 
  • coylygirl
    coylygirl Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
    Options
    Wow, aren't animals amazing. I can't have a do or cat cos when Covid is over I'm planning on visiting my parents up country monthly.  Thinking of getting a service chinchilla c
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Fingers crossed they'll take the complaint seriously @Oxonlady

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hear hear, well done on making that complaint @Oxonlady and I'm sorry to hear things haven't been good for you recently.  Please let us know if ever we can do anything to help.

Lancelot sounds like quite the boy  <3 They are definitely intuitive creatures and I'm mightily impressed he used to walk to the shops with you!  Did you have to train him using a harness?  My cats would be less civilised I'm sure  :D
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Oxonlady
    Options
    Hi @Cher_Scope, no I didn't train Lancelot at all! I'd such say "Shall we go for a walk"? "Let's go!"
    Lancelot must be more intelligent than I am, because he understands more English than I understand cat language! If I say to him "go in the bathroom, I'll come and brush you", he does exactly that! Or I'll say "go in the kitchen, I'll come and feed you", again he follows instructions. I suppose he's more like a dog than a cat, but he's also very headstrong and knows exactly what he wants!!! 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    @Oxonlady hi hope you and Lancelot are ok and keeping warm.
  • Oxonlady
    Options
    Hi @Sandy_123, Lancelot has gone walkabout in the snow! He enjoys the outdoors. I shall call him in shortly and try to have an early night, as I have a hospital appointment in the morning.

Wishing you a peaceful night. 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    @Oxonlady lol he gone galavanting, good luck tomorrow.
  • Oxonlady
    Options
    Yes, he patrols the area around, he goes over to the school opposite my flat! Lancelot is very street-wise. One day I should write a book about his adventures!
    Thanks, I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's appointment. I've got to have a scan but I can barely move my legs and it's very painful when I try... 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    @Oxonlady be an interesting book. 
    I know it's daunting going for tests and scans etc. Hopefully the pain eases, have early night.

Brightness