So it turns out DWP Debt Management DOESN'T necessarily seize your backdated PIP pay.... - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

So it turns out DWP Debt Management DOESN'T necessarily seize your backdated PIP pay....

Options
2»

Comments

• lisalocket43
    lisalocket43 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    Thankgod I’m sorry I’m new and not sure how things work here, sorry I hope people answer what you want! And not me.. Thankyou for advice il have a look again sorry
  • thatsmyname
    thatsmyname Community member Posts: 52 Connected
    Options
    lisalocket43 no she was refused on both so mandatory reconsideration can change things drastically. Hope you get your award.and dont worry about been on wrong thread too much i did same thing and someone told me and they did the new thread for me lol.hopefully you got the answers u needed anyway
  • lisalocket43
    Options
    thatsmyname Thankyou so much and Thankyou for being kind xx
  • lisalocket43
    Options
    thatsmyname Thankyou for your reply it does make me more optimistic I feel while we can work a little bit can help with the depression, I was wondering did your mum achieve any points previous to the MR? Tia xx

• ThankGod
    ThankGod Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Options
    My PIP backdated payment has arrived in my bank account now.  So relieved!
  • jsmith8899
    jsmith8899 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Options
    I suppose it could depend on if the claimant has history of not repaying maybe? Or if they dont generally claim for long meaning they cant recover it by taking deductions.but they are just guesses on my part.
    I dont think really they're allowed legally to take debt from another benefit you're receiving, you'd need to repay it yourself but weird though considering if its credit or some other form of debt at a bank they'll take monies from another account to repay it
  • thatsmyname
    Options
    jsmith8899 they shouldnt be allowed but unfortunately they do..im waiting on an answer as to wether my 3,495 is gonna be taken by dwp or not.im gonna ring today and beg again.i really need to move home 
  • jsmith8899
    Options
    @thatsmyname is that due to new benefits then like new ESA or UC then or is just as they decide it then?
  • thatsmyname
    Options
    jsmith8899 mines a backpay of lcwra that im owed.a years worth because it took so long for my wca.but ive rung dept management again today and the gentleman said that if a claimant is due a packpay and the claimant has any dwp debts it automatically gets sent to them then they decide wether or not to offset it...he stated that if it goes unchallenged it would be offset against any debts owed.but if it is challenged it would be looked at again and depending on individuals circumstances they could choose to pay it to the claimant.
  • thatsmyname
    Options
    jsmith8899 they havent actually recieved mine yet so ive got in there early im waiting on another call back now as hes added more notes saying that its making me anxious not knowing.we shall see but my stomach is churning and my anxiety is sky high.hope its today 
  • jsmith8899
    Options
    Ah so its any kind of benefit then that yeah would make a lot of sense I suppose

Yeah I am with you on the anxiety thing but was for an entirely sort of different reason,wasn't paid my ESA like normal a few months ago had no idea what was going on, turned out that they have this payment system list and if too many things get inputted onto it at once a whole section of it just crashes and stops all payments on that.

Think is they'd arranged to pay it manually as an emergency payment, was fine got my money but then was paid twice for the next one two weeks later, the person who'd done the manual one or which ever hadn't reported back saying it'd been done so was again paid out apparently, (being was the old ESA) they wrote it off as an official error. But waiting to hear back was hugely stressful so with you all the way on that hope you get it resolved as I know how horrible that feeling can be 
  • thatsmyname
    Options
    jsmith8899 im just stood in one corner of my kitchen where i get phone signal lol.i darent move from here in case they ring.i do hope it is today or ill be here all week! And strangely though my two sets of pip backpay were not taken but apparently they treat pip differently when i asked debt management.as its a disability benefit.but lcwra is also a top up for disability so i dont know how they've worked that one out.
  • PrincessRuby
    PrincessRuby Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    Options
    This post gives me some hope! I had my PIP assessment yesterday, she was really nice, but I know from past ESA assessments I can’t base anything on that. 
    I currently have a payment plan in place with debt management team for an overpayment (which I’ll be challenging after advice on here), but was panicking that it was an open and shut case of the back pay (if I’m awarded what entitled to) would go straight to them. 
    Glad you got your backpay! X

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.