Does Hot Chocolate count as a brew? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does Hot Chocolate count as a brew?

coylygirl
coylygirl Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
I have marshmallows and squirty cream too.  Never had a sweet tooth before but I am craving sugary treats now, probably because I;m not drinking alcohol - was moderate but tee-total whilst on sedation.  In bipolar crisis atm but being well supported by professionals and family and frineds with 24/7 access to emergency aid.  My bedtimer routine is a bit shot, probably because I spend a lot of time on here and facebook.  My first husband who is my BFF (my bipolar killed the relationship. dammit) lives in the US so we can chat til the wee small hours.  I have my milky drink around midnight, take a sedative at 1am and go bed around 1.30.  My friend rings me at 9 to check in so I guess 7 hours chemically induced sleep isn't too bad.  What do others think?  :)

Comments

• RichardLel
    RichardLel Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
    I stayed up late, As met up on spotify and ended up the DJ for all. Hot chocolate is nice. My routines for sleep all over the place, so can relate to that.. Sorry hear about your first husband. Good not to  drink alcohol as tea total myself on sedation for pain. I don’t know hot chocolate count as a brew, it’s a good replacement, marshmallows sound great even better. 
    Cat just gate crashed my room, take care
  • coylygirl
    Thanks for your reply, I haven't tried spotify yet but sounds dangerous!  UB40 on Alexa so quite soothing.  Gonna try bed at 3am, see how that goes - for some reason I have to go bed on the hour!  Hope you sleep and stay safe and well  :)
  • RichardLel
    Hi, Spotify not dangerous, it’s just a music app and only open close friends.  ! Ub40 takes me back to the 80s, also Madness big fan of!
    Thanks I stay safe,  and yourself. I going to try get some sleep and makes sense pick a time go to bed as doing the same.
  • coylygirl
    Night night, sleep tight  :)
  • RichardLel
    I slept well, I over slept a lot. I think going to buy some hot chocolate today, marshmallows, spray cream and keep it hidden for myself, I keep box full of goodies any for myself manage autism,. Good idea Hot chocolate! ? I hope u slept well.
  • jsmith8899
    jsmith8899 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Maybe if its combined with coffee can be considered that but I dont think so, whatever as long as anyone likes drinking it then whats the bother?

Unfortunately (used to love it) everytime I drink or eat anything to do with chocolate (well its really cocoa powder thats the problem really since thats often or always as far as I know dusted over tiramasu and have had problems) makes me feel dead sickly if I have too much I end up being very ill which would not be good given my current health problems lol

Really jealous of people who can though 
    RichardLel said:
    I slept well, I over slept a lot. I think going to buy some hot chocolate today, marshmallows, spray cream and keep it hidden for myself, I keep box full of goodies any for myself manage autism,. Good idea Hot chocolate! ? I hope u slept well.
    Hope you really enjoy it!
  • coylygirl
    Well I didn't get to bed til 4am, was chatting to someone I don't know that well about mental health issues and she needs help.  I was able to reassure her that there is less stigmas these days and then we wound down talking about movies and music.  Is a joy to help another sufferer.  Was in deep chemical sleep and bleddy postman rang on doorbell at 9.  At least it was nice packages  :)
  • jsmith8899
    Well to be fair (have heard is the same with alcoholics) helping others is meant to be really good for your mood, got to be careful though about receiving treatment but when having learnt about what works for you and then helping others is supposed to be really good for you I have heard
  • RichardLel
    at 3am and non of us could get any sleep, so ended up looking at scope chat see what happening. The only way I got any sleep in the end it was through sedation. I started taking pain meds again yesterday for my CP and pressure to take other meds for my ASD & PTSD it rather upsetting restarting. It’s just a thing the hot chocolate took us when went to sleep only.  I am sorry to hear that can’t drink chocolate, what do u enjoy doing instead?
  • coylygirl
    AA didn't work for me because I was psychotic and using alcohol to self-medicate.  They were quick to label me an alcoholic and said I didn't need doctors or medication - I ended up being sectioned,  I know it works for thousands of people worldwide, but I went into recovery with professionals and can take or leave it.  Tee total at the moment as on sedation, but I can enjoy a tipple or 2 without going over the top.  Id did take away one positive though, Just for today - see above.  It is particularly helpful when I'm in a depressive phase.  The point I am trying to make is that no experience is wasted and you take the positives where you find them.  Thanks for reading Big loves to all suffering from alcohol dependence or misuse  <3
  • jsmith8899
    Yeah I also have problems with both getting to sleep sometimes and staying a sleep sadly, you're not alone

I quite like chamomile tea and certainly peppermint, infact the latter is really good for getting rid of excess gas because of my increased usage of loperamide as not having any large bowel as had what was left of it removed in 2016 was on a relatively huge dose as compared to the instructions on Imodium packaging, but in the context of people with a J pouch exactly isn't that big to be honest. Has made me really sensitive to it to the point it either doesnt work at all or blocks me up (stops I presume the bowel from working least partially) so experimenting with whats called metamucil in the US in the generic form called Psyllium Husk  to rather than use as a stool softener if taken with less water as possible (can make it a choking hazard though) acts like  bulker and promotes regularity as sometimes also have sort of spasms in the Ileo Pouch itself and become a nightmare for accidents

The side effect of Psyllium Husk is added gas of course as its fibre supplements so Peppermint tea deals with that actually really effectively, was what they gave in hospital more peppermint oil though or the hospital I get treated for Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (inevitably leads to bowel cancer) that was fun the operation for the  pouch and the reversal afterwards
  • coylygirl
    I've seen Madness and UB40 at the Pavilions in Plymouth.  Madness was not so good because the sound system wasn't up to scratch and I also had a panic attack because of the crowd.  UB40 were awesome.  We were right at the front and I kept screaming "I love you Robin"  Got 3 winks and a thumbs  up.  Brilliant time  :)
  • coylygirl
    Yeah I also have problems with both getting to sleep sometimes and staying a sleep sadly, you're not alone

I quite like chamomile tea and certainly peppermint, infact the latter is really good for getting rid of excess gas because of my increased usage of loperamide as not having any large bowel as had what was left of it removed in 2016 was on a relatively huge dose as compared to the instructions on Imodium packaging, but in the context of people with a J pouch exactly isn't that big to be honest. Has made me really sensitive to it to the point it either doesnt work at all or blocks me up (stops I presume the bowel from working least partially) so experimenting with whats called metamucil in the US in the generic form called Psyllium Husk  to rather than use as a stool softener if taken with less water as possible (can make it a choking hazard though) acts like  bulker and promotes regularity as sometimes also have sort of spasms in the Ileo Pouch itself and become a nightmare for accidents

The side effect of Psyllium Husk is added gas of course as its fibre supplements so Peppermint tea deals with that actually really effectively, was what they gave in hospital more peppermint oil though or the hospital I get treated for Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (inevitably leads to bowel cancer) that was fun the operation for the  pouch and the reversal afterwards
    I don't like chamomile tea, it makes me urge, but peppermint and licorice are alright.  Sorry to hear of your sleeping issues - it really is a **** isn't it.  I stayed awake for 24 hours and was hallucinating cats lol.  Take care of yourself, big loves 
  • jsmith8899
    Oh I've always done after say 3 days once when rather I get big auditory hallucinations like I thought I could swear blind I heard the door bell ring once, to find no one was there lol

Also when eating cheese late at night (stopped that for obvious reasons) even when not at all tired messes up my waking up cycle and I see things that arent really there I think I'm going nuts haha, quite scary actually this long legged thing on the shelves in my old flat I used to live in was scared of going near it thinking what the heck is that??? lol Obviously is my mind playing tricks on me haha
  • jsmith8899
    Also thanks ever so much you too of course :smile:
  • RichardLel
    coylygirl said:
    I've seen Madness and UB40 at the Pavilions in Plymouth.  Madness was not so good because the sound system wasn't up to scratch and I also had a panic attack because of the crowd.  UB40 were awesome.  We were right at the front and I kept screaming "I love you Robin"  Got 3 winks and a thumbs  up.  Brilliant time  :)
    I got to see MadNess couple years ago  in concert, they still going strong after all these years but was still had  a great time anyway. I know about crowds, just came away doing the shopping from supermarket, came home wanting a melt down was so manic in Tesco it more a stampede to the tills and nearly got run down in the car park as drivers fighting get out home usual tunnel vision I presume?
  • RichardLel

I’m only on Movicol at the moment as my bowel got mind of it own with CP. I suffer terriable adnominal spasms because so understand well your frustrations as somed days just don’t want get out bed why start shifting bed times all over the place. Good idea on peppermint tea and really forgot about that. Relooking at my diet anyway as some foods make me worse, my diet colapsed because of exhaustion lately
  • coylygirl
    Oh that's not good, I have to go Tesco in a bit,  Maybe it'll calm down in  a bit.  Sure they're still letting too many people in
    Oh I've always done after say 3 days once when rather I get big auditory hallucinations like I thought I could swear blind I heard the door bell ring once, to find no one was there lol

Also when eating cheese late at night (stopped that for obvious reasons) even when not at all tired messes up my waking up cycle and I see things that arent really there I think I'm going nuts haha, quite scary actually this long legged thing on the shelves in my old flat I used to live in was scared of going near it thinking what the heck is that??? lol Obviously is my mind playing tricks on me haha

I meant I was awake 48 hours,  I have auditory hallucinations of my phone ringing - wishful thinking I suppose.  I was also in the shower and heard someone coming up the stairs.  Thought it was my violent ex,  Was so scared x
  • RichardLel
    I think because it’s Valentine’s Day weekend why everybody in a rush! They got this new traffic light system let people store  and everybody lines up with no hassles. It just really struggle with walk up the pain abit. Staff where very helpful and should calm down as Saturday shop anyway rush.

Brightness