Pip wrong decision - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip wrong decision

2»

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I'll stick with what I said at the top of the thread I would personally see enhanced and standard as a result, then present a better case on mobility at the review, I got standard care with enhanced mobility and whilst i was only 1 point off enhance for care I was more than happy with my award.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    woodbine said:
    I'll stick with what I said at the top of the thread I would personally see enhanced and standard as a result, then present a better case on mobility at the review, I got standard care with enhanced mobility and whilst i was only 1 point off enhance for care I was more than happy with my award.
    My mum was the same, she was 2 points off enhanced care and was awarded enhanced mobility, but decided to leave it at that. 
  • afells
    afells Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Just to clarify, shes been on enhanced daily living and standard mobility for the last 6 years. Her condition was that bad she didn't leave the house at all for the 6 years but on this assessment, we told them she can now go to her gp. As for another thing its about being truthful in the fact she has come a long way to be able to go to see her regular gp, whereas for the last 6 years she couldn't! Also if we accept the award which says she cannot undertake ANY journey, when she actually can go the gp with me by her side, isnt that lying? 
  • vanityfarm
    vanityfarm Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    My daughter was given enhanced rate and 12 points because she would be unable to plan a journey.but was not given 12 points for mobility Consequently we were turned down for her blue badge even though she has severe epilepsy and severe anxiety and has a learning dissabillity.she had received a blue badge for the past 10 years when it was not given on the points system.we had to appeal the decision and eventually got her badge back .but know we will have the same problem next time it needs renewing.I contacted the pip but was told if we appeal we may have to go through the application process again.
  • afells
    Hi, yes we have! We have requested to see a copy of the pa4 and we will seek help from CAB if we feel we have grounds to challenge which is highly likely from what the decision letter states! Thanks for your help! However if anyone has any experience with a mandatory reconsideration, I would be happy to hear how it went!
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    afells said:
    Also if we accept the award which says she cannot undertake ANY journey, when she actually can go the gp with me by her side, isnt that lying? 
    You need to consider that the appropriate PIP descriptor is the one that applies on the majority of days. So not being able to undertake any journey doesn’t mean they can never do so.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#mobility-activities

”A claimant who satisfies 1E cannot also satisfy 1F. If they cannot undertake a single journey on the majority of days due to overwhelming psychological distress, then 1E will be the applicable descriptor, even if there are occasions when they could follow a familiar route, if accompanied.”

This may the basis of the decision your wife has received.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • afells
    calcotti said:
    afells said:
    Also if we accept the award which says she cannot undertake ANY journey, when she actually can go the gp with me by her side, isnt that lying? 
    You need to consider that the appropriate PIP descriptor is the one that applies on the majority of days. So not being able to undertake any journey doesn’t mean they can never do so.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#mobility-activities

”A claimant who satisfies 1E cannot also satisfy 1F. If they cannot undertake a single journey on the majority of days due to overwhelming psychological distress, then 1E will be the applicable descriptor, even if there are occasions when they could follow a familiar route, if accompanied.”

This may the basis of the decision your wife has received.
    Thank you very much, this helps me tons! I understand now! 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.