Please help! What are my chances of being sacked after a re-completion of a health questionnaire? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please help! What are my chances of being sacked after a re-completion of a health questionnaire?

Cutefox20
Cutefox20 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited February 2021 in Work and employment
Hello,

I have recently started a job as a support worker and I'm in the first weeks of training. I've been unable to complete the restraint element of training as it is too painful due to arthritis in spine and foot. They have told me to re-complete a pre- employment health questionnaire, which I assume is to flag me up to occupational health? 

Prior to the job starting when I completed the pre-employment health questionnaire; I did raise that I have low back pain and that I would probably not be able to restrain for long. I wasn't aware of what the training involved at this point, or the restraint process let alone what effect it would have on me. 

The trainers said I did perform well physically un other elements such as break away techniques and arm holds etc. It is literally the bending over and holding someone down that kills my back. 

I still can perform in all other duties of role just not holding someone down. This is a children's mental health place. 

I really want this job but I am worried about them sacking me. Are they in their rights to withdraw offer of employment based on my back and foot? 

I guess reasonable adjustment would be to not have me restrain others, but is this too detrimental on my role? The only mention in the job advert and application was that there would be strenuous work- no mention of physical restraining. 

Please can anyone offer any advice on this?
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

First of all they are doing the right thing if referring you to oh as they will be able to advise on reasonable adjustments 

It will depend on how much restraining is part of the role if they can accept you cant do it 

For example if there was only limited staffing say 2 of you and 2 clients got into a situation that required restraining you not bring able to do this could result in a serious and harmful situation 

There are quite a few factors to take into account 

I presume you are in your probationary period so in reality they could say your employment will not be confirmed due to not bring able to complete key part of role 

Hopefully it wont come to that and you can come to some agreement with them 

I'm not trying to paint a bad picture here just playing devils advocate 

Let us know how you get on 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Well if it's a mental health place there probably would be kids who'd need to be restrained at times, I don't think you should worry too much though, if they had any concerns about your physical health you probably wouldn't have been offered the job.

I have more or less the exact same problem, I probably wouldn't be able to restrain someone being violent, especially if they were bigger than me as a lot of people are, even though I have about 30 years of Martial Arts training.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not sure where martial arts come in to restraining people ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cutefox20
    Thank you guys. It does feel like it could go either way. I’m annoyed as I’ve gone over job description again and my contract; mentions nothing about restraint.
  • janer1967
    Often job descriptions and contracts dont include everything as they would be endless 

However they do usually say  any other duties as required which I'd the get out clause for them 

I agree it could go either way fingers crossed it goes your way 
  • Cutefox20
    Could they refuse to pay me for the time I have worked so far? 
  • Cutefox20
    And I mean refuse to pay me for the time worked if they did get rid of me?
  • janer1967
    No they have to pay you for time worked 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I would hope that restraint  could be avoided in  most situations and not used that often ?

Brightness