Offer your input on appealing decisions on home adaptations — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Offer your input on appealing decisions on home adaptations

Grace_Scope
Grace_Scope Community member, Scope Member Posts: 39 Connected
Hi all,

If you have disagreed with your Local authority's decision about your home adaptations we would love to hear from you. 

We are writing a new webpage about "Appealing decisions on Home adaptations." Please get in touch with me at Grace.brown@scope.org.uk or reply to this post if you would be willing to help us with this. We will send you a £30 voucher as a thank you for your time. 

It would involve speaking with us briefly about your experience, and reading the content we have written and providing your feedback. The session will last approximately 45 minutes, you will remain anonymous. 

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    There's still time to get involved with this, please get in contact if you are interested :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    i am not sure if it is relevent but the only experience of this I have is dealing with my council and adaptions to my council property
  • dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    The Disability Facilities Fund is held by all Councils and It is discretionary which means that any works can be considered that is proposed to make life easier for disabled people in their homes, there are no works that are out of scope, it is available for all residents whoever their landlord is, and can be asked for by anyone connected to the property, 

Mostly this is an Occupational Therapist, employed by the Council but it can be any O/T. 

A lot of the time this works very well but it is a problem if there is a dispute between the disabled person and the O/T as to the best choice of aids to adaptions needed.

I have come across some very distressing cases when the O/T is not acting in the best interests of the person but in the interests of the funding authority, under the mistaken belief that it  is the Councils money they are saving 
    This shouldn't be the case as the funds are supplied by the government and not ringfenced.

The Foundations Organisation can help in these matters and I have found them very useful.
  • dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
  • dynasty30
    dynasty30 Community member Posts: 88 Courageous
    I was told these funds weren’t available in Scotland? 
  • samanthalouisetwins
    samanthalouisetwins Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi is this still ongoing @Grace_Scope, I have a huge ongoing case at the moment where I am being forced into unsuitable accommodation for my daughter as the OT is biased with the local Authority and trying to save money rather than assess my daughters needs. I have an alternative OT report based on my daughter but they are refusing to listened, im being threatened with no housing at all if I don’t take it as they say, which will make my families daily lives even worse :( 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Hi is this still ongoing @Grace_Scope, I have a huge ongoing case at the moment where I am being forced into unsuitable accommodation for my daughter as the OT is biased with the local Authority and trying to save money rather than assess my daughters needs. I have an alternative OT report based on my daughter but they are refusing to listened, im being threatened with no housing at all if I don’t take it as they say, which will make my families daily lives even worse :( 
    It may be better for you to send Grace an email to the address in the first post. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @samanthalouisetwins

I'm sorry to hear about your dealings with the Local Authority.  How are you doing emotionally?  I don't believe Grace is still researching this topic but please don't worry, we can help.

I'm not sure if you've read Scope's Appealing decisions on home adaptations webpage?  This outlines the steps you can take where you disagree with decisions made, from getting a second opinion (like you have) to following your council's complaints process and contacting the ombudsman.  

Also you might want to find your local Home Improvement Agency (HIA) and contact them.  These are not-for-profit organisations run by housing associations, local authorities and charities in England who provide impartial advice and home adaptations. 

In addition to this, there is Healthwatch the independent national champion for people who use health and social care services. They can give you advice and help you make a complaint.

Please keep us posted with how you get on and wishing you all the luck in the world for a positive outcome.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness