Hi, my name is fruity_fruitcake! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is fruity_fruitcake!

Options
fruity_fruitcake
fruity_fruitcake Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I’m Lucii, 20 years old and I suffer with many invisible disabilities. I’m on PIP and universal credit for them, and I have many mental health issues that I have to struggle with most days. I also suffer with PCOS which I only found out about last year mid-lockdown. My mum cares for me, which I love and hate-I always want to be independent but unfortunately it can’t be avoided sometimes. We all need help now and again, but I would love to be more resilient and cope with this stuff myself, without the need of others. I always feel a bit left out when it comes to disability, a little privileged even, because I don’t have much harder struggles that other disabled people have like cerebral palsy or something even harder to handle. I tend to invalidate my own struggles because of this and I know I really shouldn’t, as every disability should be taken seriously and supported of course. I’m new to this so I might be rambling - undiagnosed, but I strongly feel that I must have ADD or ADHD due to how much I overshare and generally my behaviours are very typical of those who have it - anyway I feel blessed to have come across this forum because I’ve felt very alone and overwhelmed this past year, and I’m grateful to be part of something that might help myself and others! Thank you x

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Welcome to the community @fruity_fruitcake, Thank you for sharing a little about yourself. I hope you also enjoy participating in the future ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community and for telling us about yourself 

Any disability can be hard to live with you sound positive and that is important being disabled just makes us stronger people 

Feel free to join in and have a look around I look forward to seeing you 

• emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome to the community @fruity_fruitcake I’m Emma, there’s no need to feel as if you’re privileged or compare yourself to others disability wise, your disabilities and the things that you’ve gone through are just as valid as any ones. Thank you for sharing a little about yourself and if you need anything, please let me know.
  • m_burrell82
    m_burrell82 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 171 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome to the community. Seem like the kinda person I'd love to be sharing stuff, like here and also at our APCMH Mental Health drop in I was going to before the crisis. I also with Mental Health problems, feeling much more lonely the past year.

I hope Mental Health drop ins realise they should be welcoming and fit for purpose after the crisis. Maybe Scope should be linking with them and telling them that. Like the Kingfishers drop in near me, that could have been much more fit for purpose and that APCMH drop in that was getting smaller and smaller in members and was crying out for more folk to come in.

Brightness