Assessment tomorrow - a few questions - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessment tomorrow - a few questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @anxiousbird. You can't read too much into the length or apparent detail of the assessment, so please don't let it play on your mind. 
    If you wait a week or so you can request a copy of the assessment report which will give an indication of what has been recommended (keep in mind the DM doesn't have to go with the report but usually does).

Fingers crossed for you. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • anxiousbird
    anxiousbird Community member Posts: 165 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks all
    yes @Adrian_Scope I understand that we can’t judge it based on how the assessment went, I was just worried because he hadn’t even received my additional evidence from DWP and neither did he go into detail about the effects my illness has on my daily life. Will ask for the report soon :) 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    @anxiousbird did you mention bout your cbt therapy you have comming up and medications that your on ? You will get a text when your report is back so you can request the report but I got my back payment before I got my letter and report and with the post the way it is at the moment might take longer but you can always call pip in a few weeks to see what the decision is x 
  • anxiousbird
    Options
    Hi @cupcake88
    I can’t take medication anymore because of a fear of medicines now. I did mention about my CBT and secondary care services but he seemed quite confused about it (he said he couldn’t see that in my evidence and I kept telling him that the most recent bundle of evidence that I’ve sent to DWP hasn’t yet been received by him as it hasn’t been scanned into their system yet). For some reason every time I mentioned that I know he hasn’t received my extra evidence that I recently sent, he kept saying ‘no I have your evidence’. Kept confusing the evidence that I sent with my pip form with the extra evidence I’ve recently sent in. 
    Ah well, will have to wait and see now. Glad the assessment is over at least ?
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I can’t take medication anymore because of a fear of medicines now.
    Not at all related to PIP but does your GP understand that?  Mine can't seem to get his head around it!  :|

I'm struggling with near constant nausea now (recent addition over the last couple of years) which is horrible for someone with OCD & emetophobia...yet my GP just want's to fill me with SSRIs...which are known for causing nausea. :/

• anxiousbird
    Options

I can’t take medication anymore because of a fear of medicines now.
    Not at all related to PIP but does your GP understand that?  Mine can't seem to get his head around it!  :|

I'm struggling with near constant nausea now (recent addition over the last couple of years) which is horrible for someone with OCD & emetophobia...yet my GP just want's to fill me with SSRIs...which are known for causing nausea. :/

No not really, I just stopped telling them that I don’t want medicines or that I don’t use them anymore and stopped asking for medicines as well. Therapist knows. I’ve got vomit phobia as well so I understand how you must feel. 
    Are the SSRIs helping you at all? 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Options

Are the SSRIs helping you at all? 
    No...I haven't managed to get any in so far due to the fear of side effects!  :D   I haven't been able to take any form of medication for nearly 20 years but only started trying to deal with Doctors again 5 years ago.  I've never found a GP that understands so far.  I had been managing the anxiety reasonably well until 2018 when several physical issues got worse, which then cause more anxiety and it spirals.  I'm really not convinced the nausea is linked to anxiety (for 90% of the time) though.  I'm not able to deal with therapists either (tried 3 CBT 3 times but only managed one or two sessions each time).  And obviously no chance of any physical medical examinations at hospital.  I'm clutching at straws now, hoping that once I've found a more suitable property to move to, the overall anxiety will drop, and if it is that causing the digestive issues then hopefully they'll drop as well.  If not, then I'm not sure what the next step is...the SSRIs could have catastrophic consequences for me so I'd have to be really desperate to risk them now.
  • anxiousbird
    Options
    Aww I hope things do get better for you @OverlyAnxious . ? I can relate so much with you, although my problems only started about 8 years ago. 
    Having a good and understanding GP is such a blessing! I used to have a very nice GP, but then I moved to another city and unfortunately up till now I haven’t found one that REALLY understands. 
    Once I even got a massive attack AT the GPs and I was in the GPs office barely able to breathe or open my eyes, my mum was crying looking at me like that but the GP was so indifferent, so heartless really that she kept asking ‘okay yea so why have you booked a appointment today how can I help you’ etc. Needless to say, never saw that GP again! 
  • Rick753
    Rick753 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Options
    Ideally I'd say that you want to find out whether your GP is part of the practice, or salaried by them, or simply a temporary contractor. My GP, who is excellent, is a practice partner and thus has a vested interest in holding onto patients, treating them well and retaining them, which is good for their business, which is what many modern GP practices are - they set up on their own and sell their services to the local NHS Care commissioning group, so they don't wan't bad reviews.
    Good luck with your Pip claim.
  • anxiousbird
    Options
    Thanks @Rick753 :) 
    How does one find out whether a particular GP is a partner? Can we just ask the receptionist or something? 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't see any reason not to ask the receptionist.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Rick753
    Rick753 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Options
    Well, in my case the surgery has a website, and all the partners are listed first, then the salaried GPs, then any temps (locums).
    So you could see if your GPs are online, I'd imagine most are these days.
    If you know anyone in the locality who is registered there you could ask if there are GPs noted for kindness, empathy, etc. There usually are, and they are usually well booked-up!
  • anxiousbird
    Options
    Thanks both of you! That’s very helpful to know :) 
  • anxiousbird
    Options
    Hi all, just an update that I’ve received a text just now to say that DWP has received my written report now. I’m calling now to request a copy of the report. Any chance the customer service agent will be able to look through the report and tell me whether there’s any recommendation for an award or do I just have to wait to the report in the post? 
  • anxiousbird
    Options
    Just going through my report from last time (when I got refused) and just realised the my assessor yesterday didn’t even ask anything about how many good or bad days I have and didn’t ask anything about dressing/undressing etc. At all! ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.