Covid Jab for my carer but not me! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Covid Jab for my carer but not me!

Bingo
Bingo Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
edited February 2021 in Coffee lounge
Has this happened to anyone else. My wife and I are both the same age, 55.  We were not expecting our jabs until perhaps the end of April or early May although we did wonder if I would get mine earlier mainly because of my weight and not very good lung function.  However my wife (who is as fit as a lop I might add) has had her letter this morning with the reason being that she is a carer for someone who is clinically vulnerable to Covid 19!   :# You couldnt make it up!

Im pleased for her of course but it seems a bit daft to me.  Just wondered if this had happened to anyone else.  It would be better if we were jabbed together really.
Tagged:

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I had the same.

In some situations the carer may be more likely to go out i.e. to the shops on behalf of the caree and mix with people etc so it made sense to me.

Though I also found it strange in my case because I am not physically vulnerable to COVID - I am physically fine. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Its probably because carers were in a higher priority group 

It doesnt make much sense but they have to prioritise some way and however they do it will not please everyone . They are doing a fantastic job to have got through so many 

Hopefully you wont be waiting too long 
  • Bingo
    Thanks for the replies. It just seems a bit crazy to me. Certainly in our circumstances. It is true however that I would be pretty stuffed if something happened to her. It just seems somewhat illogical to protect a healthy person because they care for someone who is clinically vulnerable but then not the actual person who is clinically vulnerable at the same time. 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    I imagine you will have been sheilding?
    As said they have to prioritise so it's kind of like when you're on an aircraft and being told to put your own oxygen mask on before helping someone else... :)
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    All carers have to vaccinated as they could pass on the corona virus and now the government want carers  to mandatory  have the vacination  other wise they can't work  if a carer hasn't had a vacination a care company doesn't have to employ you 

• Bingo
    Cress said:
    I imagine you will have been sheilding?
    As said they have to prioritise so it's kind of like when you're on an aircraft and being told to put your own oxygen mask on before helping someone else... :)
    Not really shielding as such.  To be honest I never expected to be down as "Clinically vulnerable" which is what it says on her letter. Im overweight but thats about it.  My disability is severe Arthritis in both knees.  I would have thought though because I am now in the 55 year bracket and they have me down as "Clinically Vulnerable" it would have made more sense to do us both at the same time. Maybe ill get a letter tomorrow I dunno.
  • Bingo
    edited February 2021
    All carers have to vaccinated as they could pass on the corona virus and now the government want carers  to mandatory  have the vacination  other wise they can't work  if a carer hasn't had a vacination a care company doesn't have to employ you 

Yes thats great and I totally agree with that but in this case its my wife. We live in the same house and go to the same places which right now is pretty much nowhere apart from the occasional trip to the butchers or takeaway for a treat or up on the dales where we live so she can have a walk.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    To be fair I think thete is so much going on people are being delayed put into different groups you may here soon 
  • Bingo
    Yes I hope so. I just thought it strange thats all so wondered if anyone had had the same and clearly some have. There are a lot more important people that deserve the jab a long time before I do so please dont think I am complaining.  Policemen and teachers for example.  My sister is older than me and teaches severely mentally disabled children up to 18 years and she has not had a jab yet.  I would swap mine for her to be honest although I think she has been promised one.

I am a bit paranoid about Covid though and I keep myself as safe as possible which I am fortunate enough to be able to do. I lost a dear friend to the disease this month. Three days away from his job.  One slip up with a visitor was all it took and now he is gone. Stay safe everyone. 
  • Swatteam
    Swatteam Community member Posts: 175 Pioneering
    @Bingo you can book yourself in for the vaccine .use the nhs app i booked yesterday had my jab earlier this morning.
  • Bingo
    Swatteam said:
    @Bingo you can book yourself in for the vaccine .use the nhs app i booked yesterday had my jab earlier this morning.
    Did you do that without a letter though telling you to book?

Somebody else posted on another forum I am a member of that you can do that. Was it this site?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

I Dont meet any of the criteria though so it wont work I dont think.
  • foxuk
    foxuk Community member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    My wife has been sent two appointments to go to a centre for the vaccine. Twice I have had to explain that she was bed bound....

The third call to arrange a visiting vaccine came as the paramedics were carrying her out on the way to hospital with covid.

After over twelve months of strict shielding she had to go into hospital with a UTI. After five days she was sent home.

Three hours after getting home to kisses and cuddles the phone rang and a really upset youung ward sister was apologising because she had been exposed to covid in hospital. 

Five days later she was being re-admitted and I was coughing my lungs up. 

The only good thing about this is that I am getting better and as I'm one of the people who cannot have the vaccine I should have some immunity. 

My wife is getting through it and has been incredibly lucky as she is very high risk.

On the 3rd I can change from shielding to protect everyone else to shielding to protect myself - they actually needed to tell me that and the date of the changeover.

For anyone that get's it - it is not pleasant but they know a Hell of a lot more about covid than they did 12 months ago. It's dedicated doctors and nurses saving people's lives not idiotic politicians and selfish scum wanting holidays and pints in the pub.
  • Swatteam
    @Bingo if it is on your wife's letter  then you are eligible I done it without a letter aswell
  • Bingo
    Swatteam said:
    @Bingo if it is on your wife's letter  then you are eligible I done it without a letter aswell

Do you think its worth calling the 119 number on Monday and asking them?  I dont want to put pressure on them but I really would prefer us both to get it at the same time.  I tried filling in the online form but it just said Im not eligible. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @foxuk I'm sorry to hear about your experience and it does sound like you've been incredibly lucky considering what you've been through.  Wishing you both the best as you continue to recover.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Swatteam
    @Bingo hi i used nhs app when it popped up on my Facebook page
  • Swatteam
    @Bingo yes I would give them a call
  • Bingo
    Phoned 119 this morning and I am not eligible.  Despite the letter saying I am "Clinically Vulnerable" i have to be "Extremely Clinically Vulnerable" apparently.   
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    My OH who gets CA had her vax 4 weeks ago, I have been trying to book mine for the last few days but it only has centres I can't get to, the nearest being 20 miles away, but i'll wait for my turn as I'm 62 it won't be long, and I'm not in the CEV group.

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Bingo
    woodbine said:
    My OH who gets CA had her vax 4 weeks ago, I have been trying to book mine for the last few days but it only has centres I can't get to, the nearest being 20 miles away, but i'll wait for my turn as I'm 62 it won't be long, and I'm not in the CEV group.

Some of the ones that are coming up for my wife are 50 miles away but a shorter time than the nearer ones.  The quickest one I think was in the Lake District 50 miles away believe it or not. I think she might go for that as firstly it will be a small centre I suspect and less risky and secondly its a trip out! :)

Brightness