Hi, my name is Beril! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Beril!

Beril
Beril Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have suffered from chronic pain /anxiety /depression for many years. I now find myself holding my stomach muscles in without realising it. It is very painful.
I have had tests done by my doctor, these came back OK. 
My doctor is wondering if it is connected to my mental health. Does anyone have this problem. The more I think about it the worse it seems to get. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Sorry not something I can give any advice on 

Often our mental health affects our physical health as well and saying the more you think about it the worse it gets would suggest a connection 

Are you getting any treatment for your mental health at all 
  • Beril
    Beril Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have been waiting for help since before covid 19 started & I am still waiting now. Nothing is happening. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Beril

Anxiety and stress can impact the body in so many ways so there's a definite possibility that holding your stomach muscles tense could be related to that.  When you say you're waiting for help, is this a referral for counselling or CBT?  Are you under a mental health team? As you've been waiting since before covid-19, I'd contact your GP for a review and ask them what is happening with your referral and if it can be expedited so you can be 'seen' earlier.  

To speak to someone about your thoughts and emotions, you can visit this NHS website to find an urgent local mental health helpline. I know talking personally helps me when I'm feeling anxious or overwhelmed so maybe this would be something beneficial for you.  Also, we have a thread for Coping with stress, low mood and isolation that has links to mindfulness resources and relaxing breathing techniques that might help in the interim. 

Our community is always here if you fancy a natter, so please do visit us so we can offer support  <3  Take care and speak soon.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness