PIP/ESA/SDP eligibility — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP/ESA/SDP eligibility

Options
Fawkes_hay
Fawkes_hay Community member Posts: 5 Connected
Hi, I've been searching the message boards for a few days, trying to find if anyone else had the same issue as me:
I was contacted by the dwp at the start of this month to say that they may be underpaying me and that I should call.

I currently receive income based ESA (support group) and PIP at the standard rate for both mobility and care however on the phone call they mentioned SDP (which was the first I had heard of it) and asked whether I would like to apply... Of course I applied there and then but I've been confused with letters I've recieved, as I was recently awarded PIP for a longer time and I don't know whether that triggered a letter about my esa payments, with no mention about sdp, or that they decided I wasn't entitled.

What I'd like to know is whether being eligible, in terms of benefits recieved, means I would definitely get the premium, or whether they would use other factors to decide?

Thank you in advance for your answers, I've seen how helpful these boards can be. 
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Fawkes_hay welcome to scope this evening, the first question is do you receive income based ESA or cont.based with an income related top up? The second is do you live alone or do the people you live with also claim PIP and does anybody claim and receive carers allowance for looking after you?
    The link as all the info you might need
    https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums/eligibility
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Fawkes_hay
    Options
    @woodbine thank you for the quick reply. As far as I can tell I match all of the criteria, the only part I wasn't sure about is there is no mention of the level of PIP for the care element on the gov.uk page as far as I can see. I recieve income related ESA, live alone and no one gets carers allowance for me. 
  • woodbine
    Options
    As you get standard rate care you look like you qualify

• Fawkes_hay
    Options
    @woodbine thank you. I hoped that was the case but started second guessing things, so it's nice to see someone more knowledgeable confirm it. 
  • Fawkes_hay
    Options
    Just to update:
    I hadn't heard anything in the month since I claimed, so I phoned the DWP to inquire about my claim, only to find out that I had seemingly fallen through the cracks and that they would get someone to look at it and call me back today, which they actually did! And they've confirmed that I'm eligible and that I'll get the arrears from when I first started claiming PIP.
  • woodbine
    Options
    @Fawkes_hay that's excellent news, single persons SDP is just under £67 per week so hopefully some nice back pay on its way?

• Fawkes_hay
    Options
    @woodbine yeah, since June or July of 2018 so £9,100 coming my way ? I started crying on the phone and the lady who called me said she understood and that telling people they were due a lump sum was the best part of the job.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @woodbine yeah, since June or July of 2018 so £9,100 coming my way ? I started crying on the phone and the lady who called me said she understood and that telling people they were due a lump sum was the best part of the job.
    Congratulations :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great news so pleased for you 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.