In-patient surgery and reasonable adjustments for people with ASD — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

In-patient surgery and reasonable adjustments for people with ASD

Florine
Florine Community member Posts: 62 Courageous

Hello, everyone.  This is my first trip to this part of the forum.  I "e-know" someone who has a number of complex conditions, including autism, and who needs to go into hospital for an operation, but is struggling to find a hospital - either private or NHS - which is prepared/able to make the necessary reasonable adjustments so that surgery and recovery can take place without the patient's condition deteriorating badly.  The adjustments would need to include low-light surroundings, no noise, a separate room/side room, a parent being able to stay over to supervise and deal with care needs and advocacy, and generally sensitivity of the staff to these needs and to the patient's condition.  But as yet it doesn't seem possible to find a hospital which can guarantee this and ticks all the boxes needed for the surgery.

Has anyone had experience of trying to get reasonable adjustments of this sort made?  Can anyone recommend any organisations etc. which might be able to help with advocacy/negotiating treatment, etc., or even, if the worst comes to the worst, trying to take some sort of legal action or similar to get the hospital to comply?

Many thanks. 

Tagged:

Comments

• Florine
    Florine Community member Posts: 62 Courageous

Thanks, Mike.  If I've understood correctly, the last part of that has already happened, some time ago.

So, has nobody had any similar problems to the ones I was describing, when trying to get in-patient treatment at a hospital?

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger
    Florine said:

So, has nobody had any similar problems to the ones I was describing, when trying to get in-patient treatment at a hospital?

Not quite the same but I've had similar problems trying to get dental work done.  Even the specific clinic for vulnerable patients couldn't meet my needs.  I'm still stuck with the problems and don't see any way to have the treatment.  I also need a couple of minor ops (non-urgent) but again would have no chance in a hospital environment so am just stuck at the moment.

I've been watching this thread with interest but sadly I think there are only a limited amount of adjustments which could be made.  Normal people, including health professionals, just don't seem to understand that we're not just being awkward and one bad event can cause months or even years worth of consequences.  We don't want to be causing all the hassle to them either and feel guilty for even asking.

Brightness