Covid Jab for my carer but not me! - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Covid Jab for my carer but not me!

2»

Comments

• Bingo
    Bingo Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    The other thing that concerns me when I do eventually get called is what happens if there is a long queue?  I can stand for approximately a minute or two and thats about it.  How are disabled people managing to queue?  
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @Bingo I would tell them that when you make the appointment or could you borrow a wheelchair or do you have a lightweight outside chair you could take with you?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Bingo
    woodbine said:
    @Bingo I would tell them that when you make the appointment or could you borrow a wheelchair or do you have a lightweight outside chair you could take with you?
    Ill think of something.  Not sure if you get to ask when booking as its all done online I think unless I do mine through the 119 system on the phone.  Might be a while yet anyway by the sound of it. Will see if I Can find a folding chair.
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @Bingo
                       Hope you are doing well. I know when we booked my Mum's, who is my registered carer, there were options to select if you needed assistance, on the online booking system. Hope that helps. Thank you. 
  • Bingo
    WestHam06 said:
    Hi @Bingo
                       Hope you are doing well. I know when we booked my Mum's, who is my registered carer, there were options to select if you needed assistance, on the online booking system. Hope that helps. Thank you. 
    Thanks. Yes my wife has now discovered that for her booking but now there is nothing available anywhere near where we live.  I guess she will just keep trying. 
  • MarkIngleton
    MarkIngleton Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Just  got my covid  appointment  68 miles round trip or 128 miles  round trip.  Can not drive because  of sleep problems 
  • jackjonesuk
    jackjonesuk Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Just  got my covid  appointment  68 miles round trip or 128 miles  round trip.  Can not drive because  of sleep problems 
    I had a similar problem, I had login four days to get an appointment nearby, but the second appointment was 50 miles away.
  • foxuk
    foxuk Community member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    I had a similar problem, I had login four days to get an appointment nearby, but the second appointment was 50 miles away.
    If you contact your GP surgery they should be able to arrange for the vaccine to be given by district nurses or at least at your own surgery.

The biggest problem we face if the small number of surgeries who are not doing their job.

The worst I have heard of is that of my neighbour's mother in law who has severe dementia. Her surgery are insisting that she attends to get the vaccination. They are pressurizing my neighbour to drive 60 odd miles to transport his mother in law to the surgery even though both he and his wife are high risk (asthma and immunosuppressants) and have been told by their GP to shield until further notice. 

As our (now retired) doctor used to say - 'I just wish all GPs were from the top of their class - unfortunately many are from the bottom'.

Take it from me - I am on the uphill climb of recovering from covid and my wife is still in hospital - You do not want to take any risks getting this bug. It's nasty, vicious and hangs around for ages.

Brightness