Visual loss and zero points — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Visual loss and zero points

Options
1eyebandit
1eyebandit Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I had a lazy eye most my life and despite patching as a child my vision never improved. In 2019 I had an accident resulting in me losing sight completely in my right eye, my ‘good eye’. 
This has been a huge adjustment for me and 
while my depth perception was bad before, it’s now 100x worse. 
I was a chef before and had to give that up entirely. I’ve cut many fingers trying to cook, suffered burns, dropped/smashed/cracked more things than I care to count. My wife now does all of our cooking but even my eating is off. I’ve fallen getting into the bath when I’ve mistepped. I had an ambulance out over Christmas as I attempted the stairs alone as my wife was in the bath and I fell quite spectacularly.
We’ve been isolating since March due to my wife’s immune condition but so other than to hospital I’ve not gone out so don’t know how it’ll impact me but I can’t even play catch with my kid any more because I always missed the ball. My legs are bruised all over from walking into things. It’s stupid to admit but I’m going to feel vulnerable outside and don’t think I’ll go out alone ever again. 

The worst part is that the report insinuates I’m lying and says along the lines of  “while I acknowledge the catalogue of injuries resulting in treatment, there is no evidence these are of a result of the conditions reported”. Short of filming myself trying to cook or walk around I don’t know what else to do. 

Is it a case of visual impairment doesn’t meet criteria unless it’s complete blindness in both Eyes?

Visual loss and zero points 1 vote

I don’t know why it’s a poll but it won’t let me post without putting an option
100%
CandyK85 1 vote
Give up
0%

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Was this just the first assessment?  It's not uncommon to get 0 points, you'll find many threads on here the same regardless of the health conditions.  It's worth noting that PIP is about the descriptors rather than the diagnosis though so you need to focus on which descriptors you meet and how much you expect to score for each.  You've now got one month to request a mandatory reconsideration.

PS - As for the poll, there are separate buttons to 'start poll' and 'start discussion' which is why you can't delete the poll here.
  • 1eyebandit
    Options
    Thank you @OverlyAnxious, it is reassuring to know I’m not the only one that receives no points at assessment. Has it happened to you? We’re you eventually awarded? 

Sorry for the poll @mikehughescq, I hit the wrong thing and couldn’t work out how to remove it. Why would I lay in to you for your comments? They are helpful to my question and it is interesting to read someone explain so articulately some of my issues. My wife can’t understand why I have trouble going down stairs and not so much going up. 

I very much am grateful for your comments on the cane, I have been very resistant but you’ve helped put a positive spin on it.

Your comments regarding depth perception have been very interesting. I would argue I have trouble with it almost all of the time but I see your point that I can tell one object is in front of another. 

Choosing clothes; what counts here? 

Do you have any accessible links for information on the pip points system I could read? 
    From what you’ve said we didn’t give enough information. My wife read the questions to me and summarised my responses on the form. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    1eyebandit said:Do you have any accessible links for information on the pip points system I could read? 
    See https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    Make sure you scroll down and read the comments on 'Reliably"
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you @OverlyAnxious, it is reassuring to know I’m not the only one that receives no points at assessment. Has it happened to you? We’re you eventually awarded? 

Yes.  I eventually went on to get enhanced daily living through tribunal.  :)
  • 1eyebandit
    Options
    Thanks for the link @calcotti, much appreciated. 

Thanks @mikehughescq, you’ve helped with more than just my PIP claim. Since the accident my wife has done everything for me such as lay out my clothes and gone are my button-downs, replaced with things that don’t require fastening. I can take a guess how well I’d get on with some of the thi bfs you’ve mentioned but it has made me feel the need to try and be more independent instead of giving up everything I used to do. 

I have one last question. I had planned to type up my reconsideration letter myself rather than have the wife do it, but will this go against me? The report said zero for reading and gave my use of computers as part of the reason. I was a touch typer long before the accident and use screen readers although I’m sure you don’t need me to explain how that works.

Thank you @OverlyAnxious, it is good to know some awards do get corrected.
  • 1eyebandit
    Options
    You’ve been very helpful, thank you @Username_removed. I was feeling very down after receiving the report and without this forum I honestly don’t know what I would have done. 
    It really struck me how little understanding there was of visual impairment. She used the fact I said I could pour myself a glass of water from a tap as justification for not needing help in some areas and to call into question some of the things I said. There was no understanding of the fact half the water goes down the sink and I do so with a finger in the glass and drink it at the sink rather than try and carry it around. I know those things aren’t completely relevant anyway but I was so angry as I felt she’d just lied but now I understand she made assumptions based on her own ignorance and the onus is on me to provide the detail so she understands that even the things I can do, involve extra effort and aren’t always reliable. 

Knowing how badly we messed up the original form would I be better just starting a new claim and filling it in properly rather than appealing this one? 
  • 1eyebandit
    Options
    I’ve only posted my mandatory reconsideration appeal on Tuesday and today received a letter saying my claim has been looked at again and I have been awarded standard mobility but daily living remains unchanged with zero points. 
    I can’t imagine this is as a result of my written reconsideration request given it only arrived with them yesterday, can they take it upon themselves to look at my claim again? I am quite confused as I’ve already received a payment to my bank.

What are my next steps now? Will they do another reconsideration with the additional evidence I sent?

I am grateful to have received anything but I feel I should have been awarded at least standard daily living and perhaps enhanced mobility. It is frustrating they have not even looked at my new evidence or request. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    I’ve only posted my mandatory reconsideration appeal on Tuesday and today received a letter saying my claim has been looked at again and I have been awarded standard mobility but daily living remains unchanged with zero points. 
    I can’t imagine this is as a result of my written reconsideration request given it only arrived with them yesterday, can they take it upon themselves to look at my claim again? 
    Had you previously rung them and indicated that you wanted them to look at it again?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • 1eyebandit
    Options
    I did call them when I first received the original decision @calcotti. To ask my options and to clarify the address if I wanted to appeal. Will they have just done it based upon that?

Either way you pursue it as zero for DL is laughable.
    How does that work now, is it straight to appeal if I decide to pursue? Do the things I sent them for a mandatory reconsideration become irrelevant or can they do a second one with the information I sent? 

I’m not sure if it’s worth fighting any more, it’s adding a fair amount of stress which isn’t helping anyone.
  • calcotti
    Options
    I did call them when I first received the original decision @calcotti. To ask my options and to clarify the address if I wanted to appeal. Will they have just done it based upon that?
    They may have taken that as a request for an MR and started the process. Guessing on my part.
  • Queenofdisabilities
    Queenofdisabilities Community member Posts: 91 Connected
    Options
    Mikehughescq
    I got CAB to represent me they were amazing & I won my appeal.
    Stick with it you will get there
    Good luck.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.