Hi, I'm sherriedawn51! Is it routine to wait 8 weeks for a PIP decision? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm sherriedawn51! Is it routine to wait 8 weeks for a PIP decision?

sherriedawn51
sherriedawn51 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I put in a pip claim way back in September 2020, I literally  had my assessment  just over 2 weeks ago, I've phoned today to find out how long I have to wait for a decision  to be told upto 8 weeks.... whattttt..... it's already been 5 and half months since I first claimed.... surely it doesnt take this long.... I know of people who claimed  after me and have already had there decision..... 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sherriedawn51 and welcome to our community,

It's normal to have to wait around 8 weeks after your PIP assessment to get the decision and there are regional variations in how long the overall process can take unfortunately.  While you are waiting to hear you can ring the DWP for a copy of the assessors report which will give you an indication of the likely outcome.  If you need any help on receiving this, please let us know.  Good luck.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

It is normal for the process to take about 6 months to complete that us why reviews are sent out 6 months before 

Due to covid it caused huge backlogs due to assessments not taking place till they started the phone assessments 

Like anything with DWP it isnt quick 
  • sherriedawn51
    Hi Jane, this is for a first time claim not a review for an existing claim
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi yes I am aware it is new claim but was just pointing out that is the normal sort of timescales and why even reviews are expected to take 6 months 

As mentioned you can request copy of your report to see whet has been recommended 
  • sherriedawn51
    Yes I have requested  a copy thanks jane
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello I put my change of circumstances in September 2020 had my phone assessment in early January 21 and my award notification letter arrived early March. But by having the assessment report I was able to prepare evidence and supporting information for my MR which is being attended too.
  • jonpaul1961
    jonpaul1961 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi, I put in a pip claim way back in September 2020, I literally  had my assessment  just over 2 weeks ago, I've phoned today to find out how long I have to wait for a decision  to be told upto 8 weeks.... whattttt..... it's already been 5 and half months since I first claimed.... surely it doesnt take this long.... I know of people who claimed  after me and have already had there decision..... 
    I am the same 20th August last year 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    What a nightmare @jonpaul1961. How are you feeling at the moment? 
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • jonpaul1961
    jonpaul1961 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have had 2 suicide fallers
    At my whits end with them 
    My pack it in its to stressful 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I've just sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk @jonpaul1961, so please do keep an eye out for that :) 

I'm sorry to hear that things are so tough for you right now, and that you've been waiting so long. Just to clarify: have you had your assessment yet, or are you still waiting for one?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.