New regulations - Assessment by Video Call — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New regulations - Assessment by Video Call

Options
cldcp00
cldcp00 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
Hi There,
I have just read (see below)that new regulations are coming into force on the 25 March 2021 replacing Face to Face assessment with Video calls. I am currently due my ESA Support Group reassessment and would really prefer a  Face to Face assessment rather than a video call. If i refuse a  video call assessment can my ESA be stopped. What are my options?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Article Below
New regulations come into force from 25 March 2021 which enable medical examinations and consultations to be conducted between a claimant and an assessor approved by the DWP either in person, by telephone or by video as part of the process for determining entitlement to Employment and Support Allowance, Universal Credit, Personal Independence Payment and Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.

Comments

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Just don't let them know you can use computers, video equipment as your health don't allow it, also when I was claiming I never provided a phone number. If you can provide enough evidence to back you claim up you could end up with a paper assessment like I always had.

lots of claimants cannot use technology?
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

Options
    Also to add? It's a choice if you would prefer a video call instead of a f2f. Not mandatory to have a video call.

It will mean claimants of the personal independence payment (PIP), universal credit, and more benefits could soon be invited to a video call with the DWP and its assessors, rather than a face-to-face meeting.

The intention is that this will help to improve customer service by enabling the Department to tailor the assessment channel to meet the needs of different claimants and help to ensure the most appropriate channel is used to enable an appropriate outcome for the claimant."

It is therefore likely that claimants without access to video call technology will continue receiving invitations to in-person, paper or telephone assessments.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/dwp-universal-credit-pip-more-5155498.amp?__twitter_impression=true
    ⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• cldcp00
    cldcp00 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    Thanks Government_needs_reform for your prompt reply the info really helped Thanks.
    edited March 2021
    Options
    cldcp00 said:
    Thanks Government_needs_reform for your prompt reply the info really helped Thanks.
    Your welcome @cldcp00 glad you had seen the original article I posted regarding this situation of these types of assessments. When I was claiming I would never supply phone numbers, and I always said if I didn't get better I would never claim UC because of them wanting email address and phone numbers.

I like my privacy that would have have set me back. I would've rather live on a nil income than persecution of DWP work coaches.

Good luck.

⬇️

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Hopefully this is a good thing. Means more options available and hopefully cuts down on future need for face to face assessments.

The explanatory memorandum says
    Prior to the Covid-19 pandemic, claimants with health conditions and/or disabilities applying for IIDB, ESA, PIP and universal credit were required, in most cases, to attend a face-to-face assessment. In order to safeguard claimants and staff, from March 2020 the Department suspended all face-to-face assessments, whilst exploring alternative methods of conducting health assessments by remote means.

This instrument makes clear that telephone and video channels can be used as additional methods of conducting health assessments to establish entitlement to IIDB, ESA, PIP and universal credit.

Will have to see how DWP use it.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    Will this be for pip as well ? Is this just because of covid or in general so there getting rid of phone assessments ?

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    cupcake88 said:
    Will this be for pip as well ? Is this just because of covid or in general so there getting rid of phone assessments ? 
    It’s all assessments and, as explained, in previous posts it is officially expanding the methods available not replacing them. See the bit I quoted in my earlier post
    This instrument makes clear that telephone and video channels can be used as additional methods of conducting health assessments to establish entitlement to IIDB, ESA, PIP and universal credit.’

Previously most assessments were face to face. The regulation catches up with widespread use of phones over the last year.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.