Grant or loan for exercise equipment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Grant or loan for exercise equipment

Options
RTX1
RTX1 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Good afternoon everyone.

I have numerous diagnosed physical and mental disabilities and I am very desperate for advice or financial help please and I wondered if you can direct me to the correct place or person as 'time' is key in my situation,

I am aged 47 and 25 stone, on the lighter side of my conditions I suffer from sleep apnoea, This condition in my case has been brought on by my weight, I have tried Gyms, diets and medication prescribed by my gp also walking but none of them in my situation have worked, I have been given the go ahead for my doctor to push for a Gastric Band and he and other doctors have classed me as morbidly obese with high risk of stroke and diabetes, However I am trying to deal with my weight by damned hard work and the only way forwards for me is to buy a treadmill and use it on my home considering my mental condition explained below.

I also suffer from agoraphobia and struggle going out that also went against myself using a Gym and walking in the streets, I have paranoid thoughts and anxiety but that may be also related to my other more serious diagnosed mental condition which is called CPTSD.

CPTSD (Complex post-traumatic stress disorder) is a condition which is much more serious than the normal PTSD, I have suffered numerous life changing traumas that have made me since being 45 unable to work. Hence I am in receipt of the highest level of the PIP award but this covers bills and other equipment i used to combat my sleep apnoea and general health condition to move around the house, like special clothing (I am a 56-58 waist), footwear, and furniture to sustain my weight.

In my life I have had various "Blunt force trauma's" and mental traumas.

So as you can see I am a bit off a mess both physically and mentally, I can’t do anything more for my mental health as I am on medication and have a dedicated psychologist, However for my physical health I am trying to find a way to help me find "Some" of the funds be it a grant or loan to buy a treadmill so I can at least fight this issue I have in my own home,

The problem is I am quite wide and a normal treadmill like a Reebook Z10 will Not accept/built for my weight and they are too narrow for me to fit on so the only way around is to buy a "Commercial" treadmill, Now this is where its gets expensive, So I have found several companies who sell "Reconditioned" treadmills with warranties and can deliver them.

I am not expecting full help towards buying a treadmill but anything is something and its appreciated.

IF you can in anyway help me or direct me to organisations that can help I would be most grateful to you.

Kindest Regards and stay safe.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @RTX1. I've popped your post into our 'unanswered' category in the hope a member might be able to offer advice while I do some research and see if I can come up with any ideas for you. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • RTX1
    RTX1 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi Adrian, So sorry for the late reply, 

Thats fantastic many thanks.
  • franklinbill
    franklinbill Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Your story is so touching RTX1 and I hope my little advise will be helpful. I'm thinking if you can get a used treadmill from <moderator removed - advertising not permitted on community>. Their products are cheap and you are going to enjoy it as if you get it new. Plus if you explain your financial situation to them, they might subsidize it for you.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @franklinbill

As per our community guidelines, I've removed the link you included in your comment as advertising isn't permitted on the online community.  Many thanks for your suggestion of getting a used treadmill however and this might be one option the OP would like to explore.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Have you asked to be referred to a physio at all who could suggest some exercise you can do in the home 

A treadmill may not be the answer and would be a big cost if you are not able to use it effectively 

You probably need to start off with gentler exercise first 

A personal trainer may also help and could devise a plan for you 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.