Pension contribution — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pension contribution

Options
zap42
zap42 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Because of wife's wage we are not able to claim any benefits she works in a shop not exactly high powered.  I was able to get job seekers but no money just the stamp being paid for the pension.

Since I was taken ill last year with a long term condition we have managed to claim pip recently the basic level but it has come in handy as we try to get flat ready for home dialysis.

Is there any way of getting my stamp paid I am 4 years short of full amount not sure I will get to 70 but if so would like something coming in.  Don't think I'm entitled to anything else

Thanks for reading this.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi just wanted to welcome you 

Sorry I dont know the answer to your query but sure others will 

You may get an answer from welfare rights or CAB 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can request from HMRC a report showing if contributions have been made going back to when you started full time work.

For the new unified state pension you basically need 35 years cont. for the full pension or at least 10 for a part pension, its basically paid as 1/35 of the full pension which is currently £175 per week increasing in April to I think £179, for most people the current age of retirement is 66 but that will be increasing to 67 then 68 in coming years.
    You can also request a SRP forecast, and when the time comes you will need to apply for SRP 4 months before you retire. You can of course buy any recent missed years for around £660 per year.

One other question would be do you have any private defined cont. pensions and are you over 55 (rising to 58 eventually) ?

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• zap42
    Options
    Thanks my question was is there a way of getting my contributions paid as I am 4 years short of the 35 but am struggling to see a time when I will be working again.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    Options
    woodbine said: For the new unified state pension you basically need 35 years cont. for the full pension or at least 10 for a part pension,
    It's not as simple as that because of transitional rules. Some people may need more than 35 years to reach the full new state pension.
    zap42 said:
    Thanks my question was is there a way of getting my contributions paid as I am 4 years short of the 35 but am struggling to see a time when I will be working again.
    You can apply for new style ESA. You will fail the contributions requirements so will not be entitled to be paid but they should still do a Work Capability Assessment (WCA) and if you are found to have Limited Capability for Work then you can get NI Credits on that basis.

However before doing that it would be worth using a benefits calculator to check whether you are entitled to any Universal Credit. Benefits calculators - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). You will have a basic couple allowance. If your wife cares for you and your PIP includes the Daily Living component she will be entitled to the carer element in UC which increases your maximum amount. If you declare your health condition when claiming UC then the WCA will be done under UC. If you are found to have LCW then the first £515 of your wife's earnings will be ignored (if you are not claiming help with rent, it is £293 if you claim help with rent). If you are found to have Limited capability for Work and work Related Activity then you would also get the LCWRA element after four months. On UC you would also get NI credits.

To claim ESA or claim UC with a health condition you will need a Fit Note from your GP.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you looked into claiming ESA ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• zap42
    Options
    We have been turned down for universal credits due to wife working.  Work as an electrician is impossible with everything.  As for work elsewhere found it impossible to get a response for any application that was before this illness so now my availability is close to zero.

Looks like I will just have to try and make a reduced pension work.
  • zap42
    Options
    ESA is the same problem as why I didn't get money on job seekers.  When I was made redundant wife was doing OK and we made the mistake of not claiming as we thought we are OK others need it more.  It was sad to see that later when she got released my not claiming meant I couldn't claim then.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    zap42 said:
    We have been turned down for universal credits due to wife working.  Work as an electrician is impossible with everything.  As for work elsewhere found it impossible to get a response for any application that was before this illness so now my availability is close to zero.

Looks like I will just have to try and make a reduced pension work.
    Your circumstances have changed so your UC entitlement may have changed. I infer that when you claimed before you were a jobseeker hen you applied before you did not have a health condition limiting your ability to work, nor did you receive PIP. As per my previous reply you could use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. As previously advised if you are not renting and are found to have LCW or LCWRA the first £515 of the earnings will be ignored and you wife can also get the carer element for looking after you if your PIP includes the daily Living component.

You also have the option, again as already advised, to apply for ESA and, even though you will not be paid, if found to have LCW or LCWRA will get NI credits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.