ESA SUPPORT GROUP TO UC - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA SUPPORT GROUP TO UC

2»

Comments

• Black_Dog
    Black_Dog Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    I have just looked at my award and I can't work it out. On entitled to and another it was around £1,250 & £1,300 per month but it states considerably less that that. It seems there is no housing element inc? Is there anyone here who could possibly help me understand it maybe via inbox message? Thanks
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,827 Scope online community team
    Hi @Black_Dog. Entitledto isn’t always accurate but I’d be happy to try and help you. It sounds like your housing element may be missing - can you tell me, do you rent and is it a private rental or with a council/housing association?
    To do this privately, you could email me at community@scope.org.uk
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Black_Dog
    Hi @Black_Dog. Entitledto isn’t always accurate but I’d be happy to try and help you. It sounds like your housing element may be missing - can you tell me, do you rent and is it a private rental or with a council/housing association?
    To do this privately, you could email me at community@scope.org.uk
    Hello, thank you for your reply. I am HA tenant over 20yrs.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Okay, so assuming you are on the tenancy agreement your UC statement should have 'housing' on it. It sounds as though they haven't verified it yet so you'll be owed an underpayment @Black_Dog

I'll see if I can find an example for you of how your statement should look, but it would be worth you getting in touch with UC (put a message under the 'about a payment' category) explaining housing is missed from your statement. 

Does the rest of your statement look as expected?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Black_Dog
    edited March 2021
    Hello @Adrian_Scope , as expected Housing Element not included. L&Q had said I wasn't responsible for the rent which is ridiculous. I messaged on my journal to explain what had happened at no point did anyone explain to me that "I" had to redeclare my housing costs, and L&Q extremely slow on my verification saying I had missed the window when I did it the same day as I was told (i have raised a case with Welform Reform Team at L&Q) but of course I'm the person left effected having to chase this all when i'm unwell. This causes me no end of stress & worry. It also said once I redeclared that I was declaring outside of my assessment period I would need a good reason to backdate it? 

• Adrian_Scope
    Hopefully L&Q will be understanding if their rent is late given that their reporting sounds like the issue here. I'm sorry it's causing such stress @Black_Dog. I've seen cases where housing associations have declared wildly incorrect amounts, or slight discrepancies like names spelt wrong or 1p out, and housing element hasn't been verified as a result. 

The good news is that once they've verified it, you should receive it backdated. Have you redeclared your housing costs now?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Black_Dog
    Hopefully L&Q will be understanding if their rent is late given that their reporting sounds like the issue here. I'm sorry it's causing such stress @Black_Dog. I've seen cases where housing associations have declared wildly incorrect amounts, or slight discrepancies like names spelt wrong or 1p out, and housing element hasn't been verified as a result. 

The good news is that once they've verified it, you should receive it backdated. Have you redeclared your housing costs now?
    Yes, put in weekly rent & occupants etc in the "Change Of Circumstances" section. So I guess a waiting game. I've never been in rent arrears so this delay does cause me concern. Thank you for your help and swift responses.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.