Moving from ESA to universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving from ESA to universal credit

Options
life
life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
I recently moved to a different area code that doesn't accept housing benefit. So I made a claim for UC to get housing element. I'm currently on ESA + sdp support group since 2015, last assessment being around nov-Dec 2019. will I have to do another assessment straight away? Was told about transitional period if already in the support group. also I have a telephone appointment on Monday and any advice would be welcome( questions to expect). Thanks

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No new claims for HB by working age claimants are accepted anywhere (except in some limited circumstances).

Your Support Group status should transfer across, known as LCWRA for UC. This means that you will get the LCWRA element included in the calculation from the start of your claim.

If you still meet the conditions for a SDP you will also get the SDP transitional element. Note that the amount of this element is fixed at the start of your claim but then reduces if other elements of the award are increased (by annual increases, increase in rent etc) so your maximum UC amount will effectively be frozen for a number of years.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @life, a very short and simple username, and welcome to the community :):) 

I hope you are well, glad you've joined us.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks for the replies 👍👍👍

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.