Moving from ESA to universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Moving from ESA to universal credit

life Member Posts: 115 Courageous
I recently moved to a different area code that doesn't accept housing benefit. So I made a claim for UC to get housing element. I'm currently on ESA + sdp support group since 2015, last assessment being around nov-Dec 2019. will I have to do another assessment straight away? Was told about transitional period if already in the support group. also I have a telephone appointment on Monday and any advice would be welcome( questions to expect). Thanks


  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 6,285 Disability Gamechanger
    No new claims for HB by working age claimants are accepted anywhere (except in some limited circumstances).

    Your Support Group status should transfer across, known as LCWRA for UC. This means that you will get the LCWRA element included in the calculation from the start of your claim.

    If you still meet the conditions for a SDP you will also get the SDP transitional element. Note that the amount of this element is fixed at the start of your claim but then reduces if other elements of the award are increased (by annual increases, increase in rent etc) so your maximum UC amount will effectively be frozen for a number of years.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 7,436 Scope online community team
    Hello @life, a very short and simple username, and welcome to the community :):) 

    I hope you are well, glad you've joined us.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • life
    life Member Posts: 115 Courageous
    Thanks for the replies 👍👍👍


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.