Reporting a change — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reporting a change

erin2490
erin2490 Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
So ny mental health has deteriorated and im now working with servral people to try help me. Im currently recieving stand rate  care pip but since i applied and got awarded pip it has got worse. I dont leave the house alone... ive become worse with motivation to do things (personal hygiene, cooking cleaning  etc ) and alot more stuff that id rather not mention and looking at the criteria for enhanced i beliebe i would score 16 points.

So my question is has anyone else reported a change to their pip claim ? And been succuessful.

The man on the phone warned me, reporting a change could mean i will not be entiled to anything.... so im kinda worried about that, but since the orginal claim. I have got worse and lots of medical proffesionals involved (who will be able to tell them about how my mental health effects me etc) so i cannot see me losing the entitlement of standard rate but it has kinda made me feel uneasy about doing it.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    3 questions do you get care and mobility PIP? When does your current award end? how long do you expect the changes to last?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

I presume by you calling you have already reported the change ? 

Some are successful in getting a higher award but others are not 

If the award has a long time left then it may be worth doing if you feel your condition has changed that much it would get a higher award 

However it will be a complete new assessment and the decision will override your current claim so that is the risk 
  • erin2490
    God i find some people really rude on here. I looked through the first few pages to see if anyone else had asked the same question and didnt see anything. So sorry !! And as i stated my mental health has deteriorated and i need more help than i did  before when i first claimed and i believe i would score 16 points rather than i believe i scored 8 previousally

My claim will run out in 2023. I phoned up to asked about reporting a change  he just warned me it could lead to the claim being closed. I supose they have to warn people.

I only get care at standard rate but i do not go out alone... ive just been given a mental health nurse now who is going to work with me to try help me get out more and feel less anxious, along with working another lady from her place havent met her yet. The mental health nurse said they will both try visit once a week.

I have a lasion and diversion worker who has been assisting me to get out/go to appointments etc for the last 3 months

Since  november ive been struggling more and finding it difficult to get out on my own. But i do not get mobility atm
  • dawny63
    dawny63 Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
    Hi be carful  my husband  lost his award . He is in the process  of tribunal. 
  • erin2490
    Ok thanks for the replys alot to think about really...
    Do you have a suggestion as to were i can get advice ? X
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Welfare rights 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2021
    erin2490 said:
    God i find some people really rude on here. I looked through the first few pages to see if anyone else had asked the same question and didnt see anything. So sorry !! And as i stated my mental health has deteriorated and i need more help than i did  before when i first claimed and i believe i would score 16 points rather than i believe i scored 8 previousally

I only get care at standard rate but i do not go out alone... ive just been given a mental health nurse now who is going to work with me to try help me get out more and feel less anxious, along with working another lady from her place havent met her yet. The mental health nurse said they will both try visit once a week.

There's no need to apologise, you are well within your right to post your question on the community. Of course having a quick search beforehand is a wise thing to do, although not a necessity, but even if you find your answer elsewhere it can often be reassuring to post your question anyway, as there might be little bits of it that are unique when compared to other similar situations.

I'm glad you've been assigned an MH nurse, I hope working with them benefits you and helps you get out more :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • erin2490
    Thanks ross. You carnt win with some people... ive read a post and another person asked for further information to help there question but was told they should asked to make their own instead of basically interupting the feed (wasnt exact wording but thats how i took it) ... i am new to this place aswell so not clued up and when i search things nothing comes up. So i had a look on the first few pages and did not see anything that was related to my question.

I am too, i really want to get better and ive been battling to get support for over 2 years now... its going to be a long process getting better but i am hopeful that one day i will get there.
  • erin2490
    But was told, they should make their own*
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    @erin2490
    Hi Erin I get pip for mental illness I get  higher rate living and lower mobility . I also have a mental health nurse . When I applied for pip I was actually under a mental health crisis home based treatment team who helped me fill out the forms and they also gave me care plans they have on my Mental illness And how it effects me . I was happy with my pip so I didn’t appeal personally I would of liked the length of the award to be abit longer the reason why I was given it for 2 and half years is because they mentioned in the report I will be starting In depth Trauma therapy when my nurse thinks I’m Ready for it so according to the report they think I could get better after trauma therapy but thats not necessary the truth the therapy could make be worst who knows . 
    It’s really up to you I think when you have a mental health nurse and they can give you care plans or write bout how your illness affects you it is good also if you have a friend or family member or partner who can write about how your mental illness affects your life daily that’s good also . 

I also go days with out washing keeping the same clothes and undies for ages to a point when my partner has to really encourage me to get changed and help me get washed and dressed . I’m embarrassed to say but I could easily got months with out changing my clothes if I’m in a really bad state of mind  which is most of the time . I had to have my hair shaved off Last year because my hair went unbrushed for over a year And it was like a tangled mess .
    My partner reminds me to brush it and he also helps me brush my hair so it doesn’t get tangled . 

i would say every thing you have said is good reason to get more points but then again I’m not a assessor and it’s about how your disability affects you . And it’s really a risk that no one will know if it’s worth taking apart from you  you could loose your award completely.

please keep us updated 
  • erin2490
    Thank you for your great reply. This is why i was thinking of reporting a change cause from what youve said there, i have very similar issues and feel i would be entitled to the same rates as you (based on looking at the critera and how points are worked out) but at the same time. I am very nervous about doing this, as i dont not want the outcome to land me up with not being entitled to anything. As the extra money has helped me get by, i have anxiety depression bpd and buliema... i took an overdose in november which got me hospitalized for 4 days. And since then my anxiety has got worse, leaving the house is so diffcult, i worry about everything. I do not sleep.. i have no motivation to cook/ perpare meals...
    My anxiety is worse when ive been out to when i habe to go toappointments ... i never go to these alone. Even with a person i do not like social interaction
    ... i found myself crying and shaking the other day when a man came near me
     When i was waiting to go into an appointment. And another staff memeber (saw my reaction ) and found us a quite place to sit away from people. He didnt speak to me just looked at me and walked by. And since then i havent left the house or my bed apart from going to the toilet. Ive Been exetermly anxious and beating myself up about how stupid my behaviour was.(Why carnt i just be normal, like its stupid to get so upset about a man looking at me) . and that was friday.

But from what youve said if i get help filling the form out and get evidence from everyone involved in helping me i cannot see it being totally taken away. Even if i dont get a higher amount

So i guess i will just go for it and see what happens. And i will let you guys know the outcome. 

• erin2490
    When ive been out, when ive had to go to appointments 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    @erin2490 hi there I’m glad you have found the information helpful . We are all here  to offer you support and advice . I’m not a expert on benefits but I can speak from my experience in applying for pip  with a mental illness . Do you get any other benefits ? Pip is the only one I get because of my partners income I’m not entitled to any thing else .

I was diagnosed with psychosis, anxiety ocd and ptsd my illness is due to With past traumas . 

like your self I suffered for years no help until I attempted suicide and was under a state of pychosis that’s when I finally started to get help . You don’t realise that your getting worse when you have mental illness and when you finally get to that point when your really ill is when you usually get the help that’s why I always say to any one suffering with mental illness to please get help even better go to a and e and you will be assessed and get quicker help . It’s a really scary thing but ending up in a and e saved my life and put me back on track I was in hospital for 72 hours and then put under home based treatment where they check on you many times threw the day different mental health professionals I was able to stay at home and wasn’t sectioned but I nearly was . I also saw a psychiatrist with in a week being under a home based treatment team . After I had finished getting help from them I then  was given a mental health nurse and they decided the best course of action for me would be the medication I’m on anti psychotics meds , anti depressants and I have diazepam for emergency’s . 
    I was told I need in depth therapy to deal with my trauma . I’m not currently yet ready for therapy my nurse says I was doing some mild therapy that my local mind centre offered but I was told by my nurse I shouldn’t be doing any sort  of counselling or therapy yet . 

I was told recently that the pychosis part of my illness is more long term now they thought it was short term at first but it’s long term sadly but like your self I’m trying to interact with services and get better . It’s really hard to see the end of the tunnel but you will get there keep interacting with services . 

Having a nurses imput on your illness and how it affects you is good because they mentioned my nurse And how she helps me a lot in my report and they mentioned the crisis team care plans I sent off in my report also .  They also mentioned how my partner helps me a lot as well in my report they really take in account to what the people who know you best say.

I would hate to tell you what to do as it’s a huge choice but If I was in the same shoes with my illness the way it is had I not got what I was offered I would of gone to MR and appealed it that’s me personally . 

getting my pip each month means a lot and helps a lot so we all can appreciate how much pip means to people so it is a risk that you could loose your pip but if you think it’s worth the risk and you should be getting more then go with what you feel best xx

At any time I could get a review and it scares me so I know the worry I think we all dread that brown envelope 
  • Ross_Alumni
    edited March 2021
    erin2490 said:
    I am too, i really want to get better and ive been battling to get support for over 2 years now... its going to be a long process getting better but i am hopeful that one day i will get there.

i have anxiety depression bpd and buliema... i took an overdose in november which got me hospitalized for 4 days. And since then my anxiety has got worse, leaving the house is so diffcult, i worry about everything. I do not sleep.. i have no motivation to cook/ perpare meals...

I'm sorry to hear about that incident in November. Did you receive support during your time in hospital, and afterwards, to recover from this? 

Also, I'm sure that with your obvious determination to get better that you will be able to succeed in that. I wish you the very best :) 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • erin2490
    Hi sorry for the long reply i found it all abit much the other week writing on here. So thought i woukd leave it a while.
    In hospital they basically had a sercurty man watch me 24 7 so i wouldnt leave and agter they phoned across to mental health services but i said i was fine and wouldnt do it again and they sent me on my way...so i did it again 2 days later although i didnt have to stay in more than a day that time. 
    They did the same process and i was sent on my way again, and didnt even have the crisis team come check on me but with my family and other services im working with i eventually got a referral and got given a mental health nurse. She seems to be doing an alright job to be fair and shes going to help me fill this form out on thursday.. so i think i womt lose my entilement at all.... im kinda regretting even reporting the change now.

And thanks cupcake... its soo mind boggling all this and its like you have to prove you are so mentlly unwell, i stopped calling the doctors because all they ever did was change my meds or up them...
    I find they never really have time to listen, like how do you explain to someone in 10 mins that you struggle to get out of bed most days, have no motiviation to cook, clean get washed and dressed..... when you go out you feel dizzy light headed parniod that youll see someone or someone may talk to you..so you cover you face and put ear phones in to try aviod contsct with anyone......there so much more but i just find im never asked the right quetions to sorta express what really goes on.... if i have a rare good day, where i will go down to the shop. I literally have a panic attsck start crying and that triggers me to want to purge and make myself sick to stop the feeling of being so anxious it works abit. ... but then comes the shame  and upset of doing what i did. i beat myself up.... why carnt i be 'normal' why carnt i just manage food in a normal way, they does going outside my house cause me to because so upset and anxious... so then for 2 to 3 days after that i dont leave my bedroom or do anything....

What rates of pip do you get if you dont mind me asking or was tou the one that said enhanced care and standard mobility?
  • erin2490
    So just an update, I sent the form back off around 3/4 weeks ago. I've checked my bank this morning and it appears ives just been given  standard mobility and the same rate as before for the care...  Haven't had confirmation of this but I got a one off payment and then can see my pending amount for tomorrow, that matches up to those rates.
    Although I'm not fully happy with the outcome as I though I should be entitled to the enhanced rate for care....
    I will just take that and not grumble, after reading stuff on here. I'd convinced myself I'd lose the whole claim all together and been worried about it ever since.
    And to top it off (it was such a big relief as I was dreding the phone call) I didn't even need a phone call, they have just done that from the evidence I sent in so all in all, I'm glad I phoned to report the change.. 

• Ross_Alumni
    erin2490 said:
    So just an update, I sent the form back off around 3/4 weeks ago. I've checked my bank this morning and it appears ives just been given  standard mobility and the same rate as before for the care...  Haven't had confirmation of this but I got a one off payment and then can see my pending amount for tomorrow, that matches up to those rates.
    Although I'm not fully happy with the outcome as I though I should be entitled to the enhanced rate for care....
    I will just take that and not grumble, after reading stuff on here. I'd convinced myself I'd lose the whole claim all together and been worried about it ever since.
    And to top it off (it was such a big relief as I was dreding the phone call) I didn't even need a phone call, they have just done that from the evidence I sent in so all in all, I'm glad I phoned to report the change.. 

Glad you received the award, but it's a shame to hear it wasn't the rate you were hoping for. 

Thanks for the update.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.