Hi, I'm new here and very unsure about my PIP appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm new here and very unsure about my PIP appeal

Artiauti
Artiauti Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hi, I'm new here and very unsure. Late diagnosed and still working out what it all means. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community glad you have joined 

Feel free to look around and join in or ask any questions 
  • Artiauti
    Thanks for the welcome. Looking for similar souls. I've found it difficult to find them in the real world. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Artiauti

Glad you've joined. Is there anything in particular you are struggling with at the moment?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Artiauti
    Pip appeal going to tribunal so I'm working all hours on gathering evidence. That feeling that I'll miss something crucial...
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Artiauti there are plenty of members here on the community who will be happy to advise you about your PIP appeal :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Artiauti
    Ah, thank you! I'm struggling to explain my struggles using the pip criteria as my diagnosis of Aspergers with anxiety and depression (with all the issues that come with those) don't seem to be enough.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    You dint need lots of evidence unless it gives an account of your daily life and how your condition affects you 

You best evidence will be yourself and your account at the tribunal 
  • Artiauti
    Oh right. That's good to know! I'm just submitting the online form for the appeal. I'm hoping I get more humane people than the Capita assessors.
  • Cody0709
    Cody0709 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Yes, try and ignore the attitude of the Capita Assessors, many have said similar!  My son was successful at the MR stage, so he didn't go to tribunal, but like you he is Aspergers and suffers from anxiety and depression.  I believe that one person will have a medical background on the tribunal, but that doesn't mean they will have detailed knowledge of ASD.  My recommendation is to have some examples for each of the tasks showing the difficulties you have completing them or why you need support to do them.  e   
  • Artiauti
    Thank you. That's really useful. I don't tend to dwell on negatives but I've been told to write about my worst days. It's hard as you can set off unhelpful feelings when you're just trying to justify why you need help. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Artiauti - & welcome to the community. Whoever advised you to write about your worst days is unfortunately incorrect. With PIP you should write completely honestly, & it's about how you are on the majority of days.
    When gathering evidence for your PIP tribunal, as far as any medical evidence goes, often less is more. Make sure that any you are considering sending in don't contradict each other, & would any insight be gained if they don't mention any functional problems you have with either of the 2 components, daily living & mobility?
    A tribunal is totally separate from the DWP, & just wanting to find out exactly how your difficulties affect you. There will be a judge, a Dr, & someone with some understanding about disabilities.
    Your diagnosis/diagnoses at this stage don't matter, nor the Health Care Professional's report, rather a couple of detailed examples (as at the time of your assessment) as to why you had difficulty, what exactly happened the last couple of times you did/attempted to do the activity/descriptor, who witnessed it, how did it make you feel afterwards (if that applies); could you do it safely, did you need prompting, etc?
    I'm hoping the following link might help you, & if someone who knows you well might have a look too, either a family member or friend, perhaps their insight might help: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/
    If you're unsure. then do try to get some representation before your tribunal.....try using this search: https://advicelocal.uk/

• Artiauti
    Thank you both. Such useful advice. I'm feeling much more comfortable now. It's a daunting and exposing process and I've been sleeping even more badly than usual since I realised I have to go through this. 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Hi @Artiauti :)

Just wanted to drop by and say hello.

Sounds like you're feeling a bit more reassured about the tribunal process now that you've spoken to some of our community members?

There's no denying that it's a daunting process and it's natural to feel like you are doing. But as much as possible, you try and look after yourself as well. Plus, if you have any more questions or just feel like a chat, keep talking to everyone on here. That might help to put your mind at rest a bit more - and hopefully, you will be able to get some proper sleep and rest as well!

@Caz_Scope
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Artiauti
    I am feeling much better. Thank you. 
  • Artiauti
    Thank you. I've just read your link and it's really helpful. 

Brightness