Has anyone been awarded a new claim recently? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone been awarded a new claim recently?

Comments

• MsFallsAlot83
    MsFallsAlot83 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    edited March 2021
    You’re completely fine ask away.
    I wasn’t aware you could get your report prior to your award tbh ??‍♀️ So no I hadn’t looked at my points.
    the phone call was ok and like I say I was given the chance to delay it if I preferred so please don’t worry. I understand the anxiety this process causes I’ve put off applying for two years.
    I hope you will hear very soon ?
    @firsttimepipper
  • firsttimepipper
    firsttimepipper Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    @vikmin83 thanks again for sharing,  oh that is a shame would be interesting to know if the decision maker uses the information on the report to the letter , I k ow I've put off applying g for so long but glad its finally under way just with how long it takes you kick yourself for not doing it sooner!! I hope I hear back soon too I'm rippi g my hair out, I really hope your appeal goes well and hope your doing OK, thanks again.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @firsttimepipper - yes, If you are awarded the daily living component of PIP, whether the standard rate or enhanced doesn't matter, so either rate, then your partner could claim Carer's Allowance if they care for you for more than 35 hours a week, & if their income is usually less than £128 per week from any job after deductions for any tax, National Insurance contribution, & expenses.
    But this does need to be looked into thoroughly to see if it might benefit you both, as Carer's Allowance is classed as income with any means-tested benefits your carer might have, but don't know if that may be the case.  Please see: https://www.carersuk.org/images/Factsheets/2020-21_factsheets/Carers_Allowance_2020-21_April.pdf

• firsttimepipper
    @chiarieds, thanks for your reply, ok that is noted perhaps it may be worth sitting down with my partner and see what she thinks .. like I say with never having claimed benefits in my life I have no idea what I'm doing but everyone always says make sure you get everything your entitled to because you do t want to be left short 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Are you and/or your partner claiming any other benefits?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • firsttimepipper
    @calcotti , I currently recieve esa, but that is all , unsure of what I am entitled to
  • calcotti
    Is that new style ESA or an older Income based ESA claim? Is your partner receiving anything?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • firsttimepipper
    @calcotti, to be honest I'm not sure , I don't know tge difference between them , but I do recall a letter saying something like contribution based? If that makes sense 
  • MsFallsAlot83
    I know it’s hard esp if ur struggling financially. I’m sure u will hear soon, keep the momentum going if u can ?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    @firsttimepipper - does you partner receive any benefits as @calcotti asked?
  • calcotti
    @calcotti, to be honest I'm not sure , I don't know tge difference between them , but I do recall a letter saying something like contribution based? If that makes sense 
    It’s impossible to give appropriate advice without knowing what you’re existing benefits are for both you and your partner. If you are willing to say how much ESA you get we may be able to deduce what you are on.
    (That’s my last post for tonight)
  • firsttimepipper
    @calcotti, sorry I didn't answer the full question, no only other benefit is child benefit , I recieve 148.80 a fortnight
  • firsttimepipper
    @vikmin83 yeah its a grooling process  , ill try   best of luck and take care of yourself
  • MsFallsAlot83
  • MsFallsAlot83
  • calcotti
    @calcotti, sorry I didn't answer the full question, no only other benefit is child benefit , I recieve 148.80 a fortnight
    I can’t see how that number is arrived at but it’s more than £113.55/week which means that your ESA is likely to be, in part at least, income based. A breakdown of the amount would confirm this. Does your partner live with you and does the ESA include her?
    You said no other benefit. To be clear, what about Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction?
  • firsttimepipper
    @calcotti, apologies its 148.70 a fortnight, so 74.35 per week, I'm unsure what you mean when you say you don't know how I've arrived at that number, no the esa does not include my partner , we live separately,  no I do not recieve housing benefit buy do recieve a council tax reduction
  • calcotti
    @calcotti, apologies its 148.70 a fortnight, so 74.35 per week,
    Sorry, my fault - early in the day and I didn’t read your post properly!
    So that's the ESA assessment rate - if this is a fairly recent claim in which case it’s new style ESA.
    if you only have your ESA as income how are you paying your rent, bills, Council Tax etc or do you not have housing costs. If you are on a low income with savings below £16,000 there may be other benefits you can claim. Use one of the calculators in the link provided earlier.

As you and your partner do not live together you are separate benefit units. If you are awarded Daily Living PIP they can claim Carer’s Allowance for looking after you and it will not affect your benefits (on the assumption that your ESA is not income based - if it were and you live alone then you would not want them to claim CA). However whether claiming CA is appropriate for your partner will also depend on what benefits (if any) they already receive.

• Carla03
    Carla03 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi. Im new here. Im actually worried now. 
    I only had my telephone assessment wed 17th March (last week) and got a text 2 days later saying it was with the DWP and theu would write back to me with a decision within 8 weeks.

Well today i plucked up the courage to ring for a copy of assessors report and the man said "Yes i will do that, but it says on the system they have already made a decision and sent the letter out 2 days ago on wednesday 24th.
    So that means they have made a decision within a week! Im thinking it must be bad news being so quick as know most wait lots longer or at least 2 weeks anyway.

I didnt dare ask the bloke on the phone what the decision was, although im not sure if they are able to. 

Im from Cheshire west area and first submitted my application on the 17th December.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope it's a positive outcome for you @Carla03

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.