55+ Restrictions on housing is really getting me down — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

55+ Restrictions on housing is really getting me down

billandben
billandben Community member Posts: 19 Connected
I am currently in temporay housing, due to having to leave my last property because my neighbour was making my mental health deteriorate more, LONG STORY.  Anyhow, i wanted to bid on a one bedroom ground floor flat as i also have bad legs but the age restriction is 55+ and i am only 45, i would be right round the corner from my best friend and next of kin as he comes and help me with daily living which includes going for my prescription ect.  is there anyway i can get around this issue. the flat i want has everything i need such as care link and grab rails.  i get so depressed when it says over 55 and start thinking of ageism.  Gan someone help me please if they have any idea how to help.  I have spoken to the housing officer but how conveinient she doesnt seem to be in the office this week.
She did say that is was due to it being warden controlled but come on now, not everyone is 55 and disabled.

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Have you had a needs assessment? 

I’ve known people had recommendations made from assessments where it was stated they would be more suited and beneficial to live in specific types of properties. 

This allowed the councils and housing associations to be more flexible. 

Although bear in mind that each area will be different. 

You should also read the specific allocations and letting a policies.
  • billandben
    No i havent had a .needs assessment i should think the blue card and free bus card and the point system on the benefits letters should be enough proof.  But i shall look into that thank you
  • MarkM88
    A needs assessment will help you so much. 

You can self refer. 
  • billandben
    Thank you so much for your help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @billandben

Here's a link to the Government's 'Apply for a needs assessment by social services' webpage, as suggested by @MarkN88.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    As above get a needs assessment 

I was in the same position slightly i needed a flat or bungalow asi became wheelchair bound 

After I had my assessment I was put in higher band and allowed to bid on over 55 , flats and bungalows 

Good luck hope it works out 
  • billandben
    edited March 2021
    Hey guys, thanks for your advice I’ve just got off the phone with DCC and given all my details and disabilities, it went really well so I hope to hear something soon. I wouldn’t of known where to of started. So again Many thanks I will keep you all posted. 
  • MarkM88
    Glad you got sorted. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hey guys, thanks for your advice I’ve just got off the phone with DCC and given all my details and disabilities, it went really well so I hope to hear something soon. I wouldn’t of known where to of started. So again Many thanks I will keep you all posted. 
    That's good to hear, I hope everything goes well and yes please do keep us updated :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • billandben
    edited May 2021
    well here’s an  update, after having a needs assessment, I’m still waiting on a house. So I contacted my social worker this week on Thursday and she’s sent a letter on to the housing authority again. Agh! Stress. I pray hard every day. But everything happens for a
    reason. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ah sorry to read it isn't better news yet but thank you for the update @billandben

Good to know your social worker is chasing things up though.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • billandben
    I’ve Bid on my 6th house now, and the bidding closes Monday. So hopefully this second letter will help. Thanks, as I’m kinda getting depressed again. ?
  • Ross_Alumni
    I’ve Bid on my 6th house now, and the bidding closes Monday. So hopefully this second letter will help. Thanks, as I’m kinda getting depressed again. ?
    I completely understand why it has gotten you down, but keep fighting and I'm sure you'll get there in the end :) 

• billandben
    Thank you. I’m trying,  I really don’t know where I’d of been,  without the advice from all you guys, I’ll keep you all updated again soon I hope it’s positive news. Thanks again ??????

Brightness