Face-to-face assessments to resume for health and disability benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Face-to-face assessments to resume for health and disability benefits

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
The DWP has today announced plans for face-to-face assessments for PIP and Work Capability (for UC and ESA) to resume from May 2021. [Edited for correction.]

To begin with it looks like it'll only be for those who they are unable to fully assess by telephone, video or with paper-based assessments.

They've released guidance for those attending the resumed face-to-face assessments, including the need for face coverings. 

How do you feel about going back to face-to-face assessments?

Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing 

Mixed feelings I think as there seems to have been a better success rate with phone assessments 

However it is good for those who have claims on hold due to requiring f2f 

Also some feel more comfortable with f2f as they struggle to get everything across on phone assessments and feel it is better if the assessor can actually see them and how they struggle 

I personally think they will continue  long term with phone assessments where they can as it must be a cost saving and also time saving 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I would rather do paper based if I still had to do reviews  at the moment my next review is in ten years because you can't always see my disability and I always sound confident on the phone that would be my choice 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for the update. I think it will be a slow road back to having f2f assessments for most people. I also think phone assessments are likely to continue for some time.
    Personally I would far rather have a phone assessment as I find travelling so uncomfortable.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 542 Pioneering
    I applied for PIP in January. I’d much rather a telephone assessment. I’ve shielded all of this time, and despite having had the first vaccination, I still don’t feel safe in going out. It was bad enough before COVID, but it’s escalated hugely for me.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I suppose it was always going to happen, there's no doubt that phone assessments favoured some situations, whilst some people would have preferred/would prefer a face2face.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness