Little achievements - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Little achievements

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's great, well done on both @66Mustang! Good luck with the studying.

It's fab to hear that from you too @leeCal :) The weather's looking lovely, so I hope you manage to get out for a bit. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @66Mustang
                               Hope you are well :) Thank you for starting this post and many congratulations on all of your achievements. It's something, that I feel is generally overlooked by society, which has developed this idea that achievement has to big and better. Please don't get me wrong every achievement is worth celebrating but that's the point, we all achieve, everyday. Thank you for sharing your experiences :) 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you everyone for the lovely messages and thank you for sharing your achievement @leeCal. I hope you managed to get out today in the nice weather.  :):)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang me and my partner went out in the car and whilst out the near side coil spring broke! Fancy that, a spring broke in the spring! Not too pleased about that and due to the forthcoming holiday weekend it can’t be fixed until next Tuesday. Meanwhile it pulls to the left and can’t be driven over say forty, thirty to be safe. So not a good day today ☹️

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    Oh no :( sorry to hear that :( there is always something going wrong with cars isn’t there!! :|
  • leeCal
    Yes, I suppose it’s old now, thirteen years. It doesn’t look it but the electronic boot now won’t open either so I think perhaps the parts are approaching the end of the road.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Pleased you got out @leeCal - but sorry you came back with a poorly car.
  • leeCal
    Thank you @chiarieds, yes it’s a shame, especially since I’ve had a lot of bills lately. Never mind it could have been worse.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    I'm thinking about going out today for a drive around and giving the car along with myself a treat. Its been in lockdown like myself for a while now and needs a run. I didn't think when I bought it in July 2019 that it would have only done 3600miles by now it should beat least twice that much. I'll play some oldie songs while driving and escape for a while and have a little fun. 

• chiarieds
    I hope you do get out for a drive @Dragonslayer - I'm sure you will enjoy it. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That sounds lovely @Dragonslayer :) It'll be good to get out. 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    @Dragonslayer

Did you manage to get out for a drive yet? :)
  • Dragonslayer
    @66Mustang

I did and boy was it great,
    it's amazing how a change no matter how small can lift the spirits and make you feel better, especially when playing the old golden oldies I loved back then. I think I will now definitely add a drive now and then to my things to do during the weeks ahead.  
  • 66Mustang
    Great to hear!!

I always would advocate the therapeutic benefits of going out for a drive. I think it is the last thing I would give up being able to do.

Do you like driving in general or is it just something to get you out of the house? What car do you drive? :)
  • Dragonslayer
    @66Mustang

I love driving, always have and it is also the one thing I would not want to give up even though walking to and from it can sometimes be hard. I bought a new Ford Eco drive, July 2019 (An SUV but smaller than others) It is easy to drive a joy in fact and very nippy when the turbo kicks in. It has no clutch and I use it in automatic mostly but it has sport gears operated with triggers on the wheel. It also features all the latest tech, which I wanted like sat nav. Picks up my phone once in for hands free and much much more all shown on a computer screen on the dash. 
    It is as you say therapeutic and does give me the freedom of movement I don't get from not being able to walk far without pain, or sometimes not at all. 
  • 66Mustang
    @Dragonslayer

Not heard of the Eco Drive, do you mean EcoSport? Sounds great though and I agree the recent Ford turbo engines are good and yes very nippy. The gearbox sounds good fun as well.

I must say I was not so much into tech in cars but my current car has some tech which I really took a liking to. Hill start assist is a great feature and the ability to play songs from my mobile phone is good too.
  • Dragonslayer
    @66Mustang

Sorry it is an Eco Sport. I take it you have a Mustang? 
  • chiarieds
    Congratulations MrAllen. :)
    @66Mustang@Dragonslayer hope you both get out for a nice drive today or tomorrow; weather probably better today. :)
  • 66Mustang
    @Dragonslayer I thought so, I always thought it was a cool looking car in my opinion. :) No, I don’t own a Mustang sadly. They are one of my favourite cars though particularly the older ones. My profile picture is of me driving a 1965 Mustang at Bicester heritage site before the lockdowns. I currently drive a Mini :)

@chiarieds Thank you, I managed to get out for a drive today along one of my favourite driving roads. I haven’t done this road since before the most recent lockdown came into effect so I was pleased to be able to do it again. I hope you managed to  have some time in the garden today or are still planning on doing so. :)
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    I'm loving all the talk about driving :)

Going out for a nice long drive on a good driving road is definitely one of the little achievements that I'm looking forward to most as we come out of lockdown. I haven't yet had the opportunity to venture too far afield - for obvious reasons - but I love going for a good run just to explore and take in the scenery.

Here's hoping we have some nice weather over summer to do just that!

And of course, there are going to be lots of other little achievements and little things to look forward as lockdown measures start to ease more and more (fingers crossed!) over the coming months :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness