Pavement parking — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pavement parking

jinnty
jinnty Community member Posts: 57 Courageous
Hello, I hope that this message finds you all safe and as well as you can be. As my heading says, I have a gripe about pavement parking, specifically the parking on the pavements and parking on the drop down bit of the kerb. Depending upon the day or time or anything, sometimes I can easily step up and down a kerb, but other times, depending on the height of it, and how much pain in, I try to look for the drop down bit, or even someone’s driveway with a slope. I know that it sounds ridiculous to get worked up over something so trivial, but I’m on crutches, and like a lot of people, can and can’t do things all the time. I can also be unsteady, so having to try and walk on the road to get past the cars and things, can make things worse for me. And having a lower kerb, is a godsend at times. I know that this probably sounds melodramatic, but I just wish drivers would think before doing it. And I wish that the council’s and police, would also help to stop it. But as I say, I’m probably blowing it out of proportion, but thank you for reading this long post. Take care and stay safe. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

I totally agree with you it irritates me too as a wheelchair user it us impossible to get past the cars parked on kerbs and if cars block the drop down kerbs means you have to find somewhere else to cross the road 

Same issue for prams 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    The sad thing is that many drivers just don’t think or even don’t care so they will carry on doing it unless apprehended, which is unlikely to happen due to the novel way the police force is now managed!!
  • Welshjayne2021
    Welshjayne2021 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    Hi, if and when I do go out on my own, I use a mobility buggy.  One day about two years ago, I was going shopping.  At the end of my block there is a Street with dropped curbs.  On the opposite of the street there is a letting agents.  A builder had parked his van on the dropped curb. Fortunately, the door to the letting agents was open, so I shouted, would the idiot who had parked on the dropped curb kindly move their van.  The builder came out and man handled me and my buggy up the curb.  I was furious, and then he said, there you are love, no bother. What an idiot! What’s wrong with people?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    32 million or more vehicles on roads that were mainly designed for far fewer, @jinnty have you complained to your council about specific examples?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• jinnty
    @woodbine
    no, I haven’t, because I think it would be a waste of time. All you are hearing is the same old mantra, no money in the pot, to help. Also, I think because it’s local streets and roads, it doesn’t matter to them. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    We have the same problem in our road and allowing properties to be converted into flats regardless of parking facilities doesn’t help at all! Very annoying.?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 183 Pioneering
    What are the laws that prohibit parking on pavements?
    • It is an offence to drive on to a pavement, contrary to s.72 of the Highway Act 1835 and s.34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988).
    • It is an offence to leave a vehicle on a road (including the pavement) in a dangerous position, contrary to s.22 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.
    • It is an offence to obstruct a pavement, contrary to Regulation 103 of The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986.
    • Rule 145 of the Highway Code states You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency.

As well as the general legislation, there is an extra law that being parked on a pavement is illegal, whether or not the vehicle was driven on to the pavement and whether or not it is causing an obstruction. This is enforceable by councils and means that pavement parking is easier to prevent in London.

http://www.pedestriansafety.org.uk/pavement_parking_q_a.html
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Good job you don't live where I live there are always cars parked on the pavements because they aren't allowed to park on the road so the pavements are wider 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,709 Disability Gamechanger
    Same here cars park in middle of paths and vans. I did report it to council they didn't even send email back or do any thing 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Hi @jinnty :)

You feel free to have a gripe about this! It's definitely not a trivial matter and I don't think you're blowing it out of proportion at all. In fact, it looks like lots of us agree on this. 

Unfortunately, I think you're absolutely right - it's not taken seriously enough by the authorities. 

It looks like some of our members have found quite a nifty way round this though, using just a sheet of A4 paper!
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Andy58
    Andy58 Community member Posts: 41 Pioneering
    Pavement parking, and also lack of dropped kerbs are 2 things that really annoy me
  • jinnty
    Thank you everyone so much, I’m overwhelmed by the response, especially as I worry that I might be making an issue out of nothing. I now think that I may contact the council about it, because if I have said it out loud, then I should say it to council. So thank you all again so much. Stay safe. 
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Pavement parking is against the law, but some just ignore the rules, ignoring how it can affect others. Its just rude.
    I see a lot parked in disabled bays when they have no badge. I also see a lot of cars parked in them with driver sitting there while another shops so they can move if needed, while I drive around looking and waiting.

Brightness