LCWRA assessment help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA assessment help

em1711
em1711 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
edited April 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello, I just posted another post on a separate topic but decided to make another post on this topic as both of them are quite big. I have a few questions to ask about the lcwra assessment for uc.

How exactly does the assessment work? From what I've read this is a phone call (now because of covid), am I right in saying this? My fiancé has severe anxiety and is unable to speak on the phone to them. I spoke to a benefits advisor and she suggested writing a letter for the pip assessment, could this be the same here? Or am I able to be his advocate and speak on his behalf as he is unable to? I don't know how to get around this. I have also read the criteria and the point scoring system. Do they straight up ask these questions, or do you have to answer relating to the points scoring if that makes sense? And also would the amount of money my fiancé get change if I was working? Does it matter if I work full time or part time? I'm a bit confused so any help around this would be brilliant thank you

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    em1711 said: And also would the amount of money my fiancé get change if I was working? Does it matter if I work full time or part time? I'm a bit confused so any help around this would be brilliant thank you
    If you are living with your fiancé as a couple then UC entitlement is based on your circumstances as a couple. If you have children on the claim or if he is found to have LCW or LCWRA there will be a Work Allowance. The WA is an amount of earnings that are disregarded. The WA is £293/month if the UC claim includes help with rent, £515 if it doesn't. For every £1 you earn above the Work Allowance the UC payable will reduce by 63p.

Lots of information on UC here 
    https://www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk
    and
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-toolkit-for-partner-organisations

Am going to leave others to speak to the assessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

As per other post you could become his appointee call dwp yo sort this for his uc

Thr assessment is based around the uc50 form and depends on condition and su can't really say what questions are as they are dependant on each individual 

Have a copy of the form at hand and  read through b4 the assessment 
  • em1711
    em1711 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    @janer1967 do you need to have medical evidence to become an appointee? He has severe anxiety and the only medical evidence is a diagnosis of anxiety from when he went to see the gp, and his past prescription for propranolol. I'm not sure if this is enough or if severe anxiety is one of the issues they will allow an appointee for
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again 

I don't think that would be enough to have an appointee the claimant has to lack mental capacity to deal with their own  benefits including payments . The appointee deals with all aspects of the claim letters go to them and all communication is through them 

He could request a paper based assessment usually supported by a letter from his gp but again it doesn't always happen 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.