Hi, my name is Supportw! Is there help available for gardening? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Supportw! Is there help available for gardening?

Options
Supportw
Supportw Community member Posts: 6 Listener

GARDEN FUNDING!!! Keen gardener but cant access garden.

Funding help required to adapt a garden to make it accessible.

Hi has anyone experienced needing to access a garden but being unable to due to being a full time motorised wheelchair user a the garden layout/surface being unsuitable?

Council can only contribute so much and im currently researching potential opportunities for funding help towards the cost? I need suitable ground surface to be laid down and tree stumps removing and a garden shed re-locating

I've tried turn to us and a few others but just wanted to ask if anyone had been through this experience.

thank you

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hi @support and welcome to the community.

I'm not sure where you might get funding to adapt your garden to make it more accessible, if you receive PIP I imagine that would be able to cover some of the cost. Have you researched how much it might cost and who could do the work for you?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you but hope other members can help 

Just wanted to say hi 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @Supportw

How are you doing today? Just wanted to stop by and find out how you had got on with sourcing some funding to adapt your garden and make it more accessible?

I know you said that the council funding would only cover part of the cost. I take it that would be by way of a Disabled facilities grant (DFG) then? Have you submitted an application for a DFG grant as yet? Or have you found at any more about that?

Also, I was just having a look on the Citizens' Advice page and I wanted to ask if you'd thought about applying to a Home Improvement Agency (HIA)? Just in case, I've included a link to the Foundations website, the National Body for Home Improvement Agencies in England. Not sure if that might be helpful to you?

All the best with the garden. Do let us know how you get on with it. :)
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness