Welfare rights / CAB / am I missing something ?? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Welfare rights / CAB / am I missing something ??

anxiousbird
anxiousbird Community member Posts: 162 Pioneering
hi all 
So I’ve heard and read a lot about welfare rights officer helping people with their pip / esa applications and appeals. I don’t know how it works and i thought I had to call citizens advice to get the support being spoken about. After long queues, I finally got connected with a local CAB agent and told her I needed help filling in my UC50 form. The lady literally ONLY asked me what medical issues was I suffering with, didn’t even ask me in detail how it affects my daily life etc and said that she’ll send me a letter to attach with my UC50 form. That’s it. So I got her letter and what she’s done is literally only written sort of like a list of keywords under each question that she thought I would score points in. (So for example under something like going out she’s written : anxious, depressed, lack of motivation.. ). Does this seem right? And is this the welfare rights support that people here talk about? If not, where do I access that support from? 
Thanks 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Cab is not welfare rights to find your nearest welfare rights just Google welfare rights and it should take you to a website to find your local one 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @anxiousbird - try here to see if there's a welfare rights office near you: https://advicelocal.uk/
    I hope you find some better help. :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    CAB advice is given by volunteers so you're unlikely to find someone with in depth knowledge of PIP there.

UC50 is for Universal Credit though, is that what you're applying for now?
  • anxiousbird
    Thanks all! I’ve sent an email to one of the places that showed on the link posted by chiarieds 
    @OverlyAnxious I’m currently on PIP MR stage and have recently also received a UC50 form (following a three month sick note) :) 
  • anxiousbird
    Hi guys, so an update. I’ve received a reply from the welfare team at my local council and they say that they don’t fill in forms etc but ‘citizen advice can help’!! 
    Am I doing something wrong or is it possible that there’s no welfare rights support available in my area?! 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Hi guys, so an update. I’ve received a reply from the welfare team at my local council and they say that they don’t fill in forms etc but ‘citizen advice can help’!! 
    Am I doing something wrong or is it possible that there’s no welfare rights support available in my area?! 
    There isn't one in my area so that might be the same for you.  I did try a 'disability advice service' instead but they couldn't help either.  Is there anything like that near you?  They should also show up on the link that was posted above.
  • anxiousbird
    There isn't one in my area so that might be the same for you.  I did try a 'disability advice service' instead but they couldn't help either.  Is there anything like that near you?  They should also show up on the link that was posted above.
    Ohh. So where did you get help from then? Or did you just do it all yourself? The only thing the link was showing was that email address for welfare rights and citizens advice. The others were for pensioners or cancer patients. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Ohh. So where did you get help from then? Or did you just do it all yourself? The only thing the link was showing was that email address for welfare rights and citizens advice. The others were for pensioners or cancer patients. 
    Had to do it all myself in the end - with a lot of help from this forum for PIP!!  I did ESA myself a few years before but don't have any experience with UC yet.

When you open the link and put in your post code etc, it should show a map of your area with all of the welfare type services.  Some areas seem to have lots of services, others barely any, it's a post code lottery unfortunately.

• anxiousbird
    Had to do it all myself in the end - with a lot of help from this forum for PIP!!  I did ESA myself a few years before but don't have any experience with UC yet.

When you open the link and put in your post code etc, it should show a map of your area with all of the welfare type services.  Some areas seem to have lots of services, others barely any, it's a post code lottery unfortunately.

Yea that’s why I’ve been doing PIP myself as I couldn’t find any support before either! This UC50 is also for ESA I think. It’s a form where I tell about my disabilities and then they’ll call me for an assessment n then decide whether to award LCW or LCWRA 
  • janer1967
    @anxiousbird yes you are right about the uc50

It is similar to PIP form and you should treat it pretty much the same 

Remember though they are looking at it from your ability to work and not daily living like PIP does 
  • OverlyAnxious

Yea that’s why I’ve been doing PIP myself as I couldn’t find any support before either! This UC50 is also for ESA I think. It’s a form where I tell about my disabilities and then they’ll call me for an assessment n then decide whether to award LCW or LCWRA 
    That'll be the New-Style ESA if you're eligible for that, I'm still on the old legacy type. 

The majority of people will get UC with a LCWRA element for long term health conditions so I'd guess that's what you'll be getting but I'm not sure exactly what your background is regarding previous work etc.

It is difficult without any support, but definitely still possible.  :)
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    anxiousbird said: ..This UC50 is also for ESA I think. It’s a form where I tell about my disabilities and then they’ll call me for an assessment n then decide whether to award LCW or LCWRA 
    The form is the same as you would get for ESA (but called UC50 rather than ESA50) but it isn't for ESA unless you also applied for ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • anxiousbird
    Hmm. Citizens Advice are not staffed exclusively by volunteers @OverlyAnxious
    . There are many paid staff and you would hope for accurate advice regardless. 

@anxiousbird who did you approach at CitA? Was it the UC Help To Claim team or CitA themselves? You are within your rights to go back and explain why you're unhappy with the work done and ask for it to be done properly as you would with any service. 
    I called the citizen’s advice phone number, waited for over an hour I think and then someone picked up and asked me questions about what help I need etc. They then transferred me to another team which took some more details and told me I’ll get a call back from someone. The next day I had a call back and this was the person who has sent me the keyword type answers. 
    Who should I go back to? Shall I call citizens advice again or shall I reply to the person who has sent me the answers for my form? 
  • anxiousbird
    calcotti said:
    anxiousbird said: ..This UC50 is also for ESA I think. It’s a form where I tell about my disabilities and then they’ll call me for an assessment n then decide whether to award LCW or LCWRA 
    The form is the same as you would get for ESA (but called UC50 rather than ESA50) but it isn't for ESA unless you also applied for ESA.
    My form says UC50. Tbh I don’t even know what I’m applying for, I just got the form and I’ve started filling in lol 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I needed help with a complex personal benefits issue last year and welfare rights were excellent, all done over the phone due to lockdown but the guy really knew his stuff and gave me a direct number if I needed further advice.
    My past dealings with CAB have in all honesty been mixed.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    It depends what benefit you are on are you on esa or uc 

The form is the same for both when referring to work capability 
  • anxiousbird
    woodbine said:
    I needed help with a complex personal benefits issue last year and welfare rights were excellent, all done over the phone due to lockdown but the guy really knew his stuff and gave me a direct number if I needed further advice.
    My past dealings with CAB have in all honesty been mixed.
    There seem to be no such support available in my area :( 
  • anxiousbird
    Who should I go back to? Shall I call citizens advice again or shall I reply to the person who has sent me the answers for my form? 
    You go back to the person you spoke to last and explain why it's not fit for purpose. 

Would you be willing to reveal your general geographical area? I may be able to locate services for you. No worries if you're not comfortable doing that. 
    Okay I’ll send her an email now. And I’m in Durham city. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• anxiousbird
    woodbine said:
    Thanks woodbine but that’s the same place I contacted and they told me to go to citizen’s advice as they don’t offer help with such things. :( 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.