Work Capability Phone Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work Capability Phone Assessment

Chris2911
Chris2911 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi,

Last year while at work I had an accident which resulted in me having to stop working and claiming universal credit. In August 2020 I was informed I needed to take part in a work capability assessment by telephone which I did. A few weeks later I received a letter stating the assessment couldn’t be completed until they seen me face to face. 

I provided all the evidence, GP letters, my orthopaedic consultant wrote to them, they were provided evidence of operations I require, anything I had was given to them.

I’ve been claiming benefits for nearly a year now and because they won’t make a decision I’m losing out on what I’m entitled too.

In contrast I also did a PIP assessment in September which after a mandatory reconsideration was approved, this assessment was also done by telephone and they exact same questions were asked.

I’m sure I’m one of many people in this situation but there must be something we can do to combat this outrageous injustice to people who are in the same situation.

Thanks

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Yes lots are in the same situation f2f are starting again at the end of this month for people in your situation  so hopefully it won't be too long now 

It's no consultation  but if awarded you will get backpay from the 4th month 

PIP and wca are different with different criteria wca looks at your ability to carry out work PIP I'd about daily living tasks 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Chris2911 and a warm welcome to our online community.  How are you doing today?

I empathise with how you're feeling and really hope it's not too long before your appointment comes round.  If when it comes to closer to the time you need more support, please do give us a shout.  Good luck. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Pioneering
    Got my WCA tomorrow. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Did you mean to comment that on this post, or a different one @wendy41

I hope that it goes well for you today :) Best wishes!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • wendy41
    I was commenting on this post. As was looking up who experienced phone assessments. All done just got to wait the wait and see what happens. 

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh well done @wendy41 you sound nice and chilled about it - fingers crossed for you.
  • wendy41
    edited September 2022
    The assessment took longer than I thought. I had to chase them as they didn't ring within the time stated in the letter. But found out it was due to them being 'busy' they transfered my appointment to another assessment centre so my call didn't get missed.  So that was the delay. Was clearly told that she couldn't tell me when a decision would be made as she had to pass on her report to DWP and they pass it on to a decision maker. So is just waiting for an answer that I assume may take for as long as it took for the phone assessment to happen. 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Yep another waiting game @wendy41 fingers crossed for you.
  • jamrumples
    jamrumples Community member Posts: 112 Connected
    If f2f are staring up again does this mean that you can. No longer request a telephone assessment 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    If f2f are staring up again does this mean that you can. No longer request a telephone assessment 
    F2F have been going on for some time. You can still request a telephone assessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • wendy41
    Had another phonecall from DWP today re: work capability assessment 'overview'. Just quickly went over the questions I was asked to clarify my answers and then said to check my UC journal tomorrow for more information. So watch this space. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    wendy41 said:
    Had another phonecall from DWP today re: work capability assessment 'overview'. Just quickly went over the questions I was asked to clarify my answers and then said to check my UC journal tomorrow for more information. So watch this space. 

I would think that would have been the decision maker. Sometimes they ring before making a decision. Do let us know how you get on.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wendy41
  • poppy123456
    @wendy41 That means you've been found fit for work, i'm sorry to hear that. They will no longer accept any further fit notes. You can challenge that decision by requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) within 1 month of the date of the decision.
    Have you had a look at the descriptors for both groups? If not you can see them here.
    You need to state which one you think applies and your reasons why.
    The most likely outcome will be the decision remains the same, if this happens you can request the Tribunal.
    I'd also advise you to get some expert advice from an agency near you. Start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • wendy41
    Thanks @poppy123456. Just give up! Fed up! 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wendy41 Many people are who are in the same situation as you fight the decision at MR and Tribunal successfully, please don’t give up and use the link above for expert help. Do come back and let us know how you get on.
  • poppy123456
    wendy41 said:
    Thanks @poppy123456. Just give up! Fed up! 

It's perfectly normal to feel that way right now. Give it a little time and then request the MR, you can do that on your journal, if you want to.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.