PIP / Adult Disability Payment (ADP) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP / Adult Disability Payment (ADP)

Options
tcellmutation
tcellmutation Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
edited April 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello

I understand that in Scotland PIP is being replaced by Adult Disability Payment (ADP). Can we expect this to happen in England and if so apart from the name change what exactly is changing?

Thanks

Update:

What i did find out is 
  • all awards will be made on a rolling basis
  • where a person’s condition is unlikely to improve there will be at least 5 years between ‘light-touch reviews’
Unlike here in England the PIP benefit i was awarded 2 years ago which is an ongoing award with a "light touch review" in 10 years

p.s. (i know they can review us at anytime)

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Options
    It is a Scottish government initiative under devolved powers. It seems, to me, unlikely that England will follow  in the near future.

Scotland appears to be changing the rules for terminal illness. The Westminster government have also said they are looking at that for PIP (and other benefits)

Rolling basis of awards would be a great improvement.

The major policy intent seems to be not having functional assessments and for claimant consultations to only take place if there is insufficient evidence to enable a decision to be made without one.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/consultation-adult-disability-payment/pages/8/

As regards ‘light touch’ the implication is that far more awards in Scotland will be treated as light touch.

obviously how all this works out in practice will only become clear over time.

To some extent the proposals reverse some of the changes introduced when PIP was introduced to replace a DLA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • tcellmutation
    edited April 2021
    Options
    calcotti said:
    It is a Scottish government initiative under devolved powers. It seems, to me, unlikely that England will follow  in the near future.

Scotland appears to be changing the rules for terminal illness. The Westminster government have also said they are looking at that for PIP (and other benefits)

Rolling basis of awards would be a great improvement.

The major policy intent seems to be not having functional assessments and for claimant consultations to only take place if there is insufficient evidence to enable a decision to be made without one.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/consultation-adult-disability-payment/pages/8/

As regards ‘light touch’ the implication is that far more awards in Scotland will be treated as light touch.

obviously how all this works out in practice will only become clear over time.

To some extent the proposals reverse some of the changes introduced when PIP was introduced to replace a DLA.

"Work is underway to establish parameters that could be put in place for the provision of indefinite awards for certain clients whose needs are very unlikely to change"

That sounds good. Even better than a "10 year light touch review".

One of my 5 auto immune conditions (full house) there are only around 30 known cases in the world. I have CTLA-4 (Me, my mum and my sister are included in that figure. It's a rare type. We are a weird family. Our consultants are still learning as they go. I have encephalitis, my consultant would always go on at me to watch the movie (brain on fire)...so I did. That's me! (it's on Netflix) With my epilepsy, I present an episode which they have never seen before. I literally take 32 tablets a day and have to inject all the time having darn type 1 diabetes. Fun! My thyroid levels keep changing evening when taking the same dose. Need B-12 injections. Now my liver is playing up and vitamin D levels are very low. I don't smoke, drink. Never have. Just one day, 6 years ago, went to bed feeling fine. Woke up, got out of bed and BAM. Couldn't walk...Then everything above happened. Literally everything above. Constantly staying in hospital having scans after scans. Couldn't move my head to the right even just a tiny bit without being sick. It was horrendous. This went on for months even whilst having treatment. Trying to sleep was torture. Any moment just made me feel sick. It went on for months and month because of all the inflammation on my brain. All I remember thinking was "I would not wish this on my worst enemy". Had ambulances out on too many occasions. Had to learn to walk again with the help from the occupational therapists whilst in hospital. Life has just halted. Now my walking comes and goes. I can be walking and all of a sudden it's like my brain has just dissconnected and I've no coordination. The amount of times I've had to be helped out it's embarrassing lol. I know everyone in my town tho because they have seen what I have and am going through. The doctors, the pharmacy, all the local shops where I've been when I've suddenly had no balance and the've kindly helped me out. I would love to move but people are so nice here. I can sleep with my head to the right now I just can't move it too fast or I'll be sick so that's all good. Now 35...I'm hopeful 

• tcellmutation
    edited April 2021
    Options
    It does “sound” good. Very much a case of careful what you wish for. Exactly the same thing led to the end of DLA. 

Hopefully it'll come back now the PIP assessments are a lot more stringent and now people can't get £40K cars on the motability scheme.
  • tcellmutation
    edited April 2021
    Options
    What I don't understand is the following latter part of the statement...

"The government will be working with stakeholders to design the light touch review process – for example, by providing information on services available and ensuring that contact or bank details have not changed"

I'm pretty sure people would have contacted them to update their bank details?!
  • tcellmutation
    Options
    Why would you be pretty sure of that. A failure to notify a change of circumstances is the single biggest cause of overpayments across the UK.

If someones bank account had changed they wouldn't be receiving the benefit money?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.