Need help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need help

xxjessexx
xxjessexx Community member Posts: 23 Connected
Hi am wondering if you can help me my partner gets esa he should of been paid today which he didn’t so I go into the Job centre and she has a look on her computer and she sees he hasn’t been paid and doesn’t understand why but she said that it said on his journal that because I get carers allowance for our daughter because she gets high rate dla that this should of been taken into consideration but she didn’t understand what that ment so am just confused by that because even tho she told me she’s requested it to go into the account it still hasn’t gone in and am worried because of this note on the system it’s going to delay the payment it’s just strange because they know am a carer for my daughter 5 years ago when he started claiming esa and hasn’t been a problem but all of a sudden they flagged it up thanks 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    xxjessexx said:
    ..she didn’t understand what that ment ..
    There have been several discussions recently about people not getting their ESA on time.

It may be that as the person in the JobCentre didn't understand what they were seeing on screen what they told you may have nothing to do with it.

You would be better speaking to ESA (although sadly, even then you may not get the correct information).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • xxjessexx
    Yes I did think that she asked if I got a letter recently and I said yes 2 weeks ago but only about what he gets for April and it doesn’t even mention me or that I get carers on the letter so didn’t understand why it’s been flagged up now all of a sudden I did contact esa why he hasn’t been paid and she said she will put it in now but still hasn’t come in yet and never mentioned that I get carers maybe if it hasn’t gone in by tomorrow I will ring them again and find out what’s going off 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Another member posted that they hadn't been paid today and they were told the computer system was down 
  • calcotti
    They have no reason to mention the Carers Allowance if you are asking about the ESA payments. Have a look at the last award letter you will be able to see if the Carer's is bing taken into account. The calculation will show a carer premium as part of the entitlement and a deduction for the Carer's Allowance.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • xxjessexx
    I got my last award letter 2 weeks ago and doesn’t mention my carers and I don’t get the carers premium. They said they would pay me straight away but didn’t so am going to after ring them back Monday 
  • calcotti
    xxjessexx said:
    I got my last award letter 2 weeks ago and doesn’t mention my carers and I don’t get the carers premium. They said they would pay me straight away but didn’t so am going to after ring them back Monday 
    In your opening post you said your partner gets ESA. In your latest post you said you got 'my last letter'. Can you clarify which of you is getting ESA? I assume that if you are getting CA it is indeed your partner. Can you confirm also whether his (if it is him) ESA includes income based bits or is it just contribution based?
  • xxjessexx
    My partner gets esa am on his claim as a joint claim and I get carers allowance which as never affected the esa claim before so I think it’s just been a misunderstanding with the job centre which am going to sort Monday 
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    I would expect his ESA entitlement to have the carer premium added to his entitlement and then have a deduction for the Carer's Allowance you receive. If this has not been happening then he may have been overpaid. 
  • xxjessexx
    No he doesn’t get the carers premium added am going to after ring them Monday because they never mentioned carers being a problem on the phone they said he will get his payment and that was it but now am getting worried that he had to have a carers premium on his claim but I’ve never heard of that until now 
  • calcotti
    Because you receive Carer's Allowance you are a carer. The income based ESA is based on your joint circumstances. This means that the carer premium is added to the ESA entitlement but it also mean that the Carer's Allowance you receive should be taken into account as joint income and taken into account, as a deduction, when working out the amount of ESA payable. 

If ESA were definitely informed by him that you receive Carer's Allowance and have failed to amend his claim accordingly as result of which an overpayment has occurred that is official error and they will not be able to recover the overpayment.

Obviously my comments are based on the limited information you have posted.
  • xxjessexx
    Thank you for replying back to me my partner did tell them right at the beginning but it makes sense why they have stopped my money now and saying they going to put it in when they are clearly not I just hope they know this is their fault and they do not try to make us pay it all back when this is not our fault. Do you know what the new payments will be thank you for your help 
  • calcotti
    What has he been getting up to now?
  • xxjessexx
    So he gets 114.10 a week 
  • calcotti
    xxjessexx said:
    So he gets 114.10 a week 
    In that case I don’t think he is getting any income based ESA. That is the amount for the standard single person allowance and the Support Group component and any contribution based entitlement will not change.

Given that you said that he claimed ESA 5 years ago I would expect him to have been assessed for both income based and contribution based ESA and can only assume you have other income (or savings) that reduce any income based entitlement to nil.

What does the calculation attached to his award letters show?
  • xxjessexx
    Right sorry I’ve told you wrong it’s that amount at the moment because he’s paying a loan in June he goes up to 147 a week for you and your partner he has been on it 5 years on the support group and the work related program and that what he’s on now he had an adviser what he used to see every 6 months but his condition got worse in that time so mental health became invoved again and he got put back into his high medication what the nurses bring to him the adviser told me to get the letters off the mental health team because he should be put back into the support group and he would send them to the assessment because he was due one but then Covid hit and the adviser rang me and said the assessment been put on hold due to Covid but I thought it was only going to be 3 months but it’s been a year now due to Covid 
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    That looks to be the standard couple allowance £117.40 plus the WRAG component £29.70 = £147.10

I think it should also be plus the carer premium of £37.70 minus the Carer’s Allowance £67.60 you receive making the amount payable £117.20.
  • xxjessexx
    Ok thank you so will I lose all the carers allowance then and will they stop all my money until this is sorted 
  • xxjessexx
    Am just shocked with it because when my daughter got awarded dla I was on income support at the time over 7 and a half years ago and they helped me apply for pip and told me I wouldn’t lose any of my income support which I never I got income surpport plus my carers then my partner changed over to esa and they said nothing will change with my carers and now 5 years later  am going to lose it all 
  • calcotti
    edited April 2021
    xxjessexx said:
    Ok thank you so will I lose all the carers allowance then and will they stop all my money until this is sorted 
    xxjessexx said:.. they said nothing will change with my carers and now 5 years later  am going to lose it all 
    Your Carer’s Allowance is not affected, you are entitled to that because you care for your daughter and will continue to receive it. It’s the ESA award which appears not to have been revised to reflect the fact that you get Carer’s Allowance. 

Taking the Carer’s Allowance and ESA together, as a couple, you are better off by £37.70/week as a result of claiming Carer’s Allowance.
    —————
    When you say they helped you apply for PIP, is that for yourself? If so, what bits do you you get? Does your partner get PIP? If not, do you think his health difficulties are such that he might qualify?
  • xxjessexx
    ok thank you so much I must of miss read it was panicking then thinking I was going to lose all my carers. Can I ask another question I got a payment today from Dwp iics of 137 but I’ve never heard of it am going to ring them Monday and ask why I’ve been payed this payment 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.