Prince Phillip RIP - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Prince Phillip RIP

13»

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    There’s always going to be differing views but people do need to be respectful. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Thread closed pending review. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    It was clear that this thread was intended for members to show their respects following the passing of HRH Prince Philip and to loosely discuss the events around his death. While I am a firm believer in open and honest discussion, it feels as if this particular thread is not the right place for some of the subjects raised.
    As a result, I have removed a number of comments from this discussion. I mentioned before that I understand there will be mixed opinions on this subject, but it should be accepted that this is a sensitive topic and we should be mindful of one another's beliefs and sensitivity around it.

If members wish to discuss Brexit, the riots in Northern Ireland or Covid-19 they are welcome to do so but will be expected to discuss these elsewhere on the community.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    The funeral plans sound like it’s just what he would of wanted, a lower key event. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,765 Disability Gamechanger
    @MarkN88 yeah he wasn't a fan of all the pomp, just a quiet low key send off. 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    My deepest condolences to the royal family and in particular the Queen. Thank you. 
  • AlexJohn
    AlexJohn Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    am sorry he died  the queen and family  must be sad , i loss my dad , he was unwell in his head
  • Katharine_Alumni
    Katharine_Alumni Community member, Scope Member Posts: 66 Courageous
    This is incredibly sad news but the funeral does sound like what he would want, absolutely
    Katharine McKnight
    Careers Adviser, Career Pathways
  • Katharine_Alumni
    AlexJohn said:
    am sorry he died  the queen and family  must be sad , i loss my dad , he was unwell in his head
    sorry to hear that. Take care of you
    Katharine McKnight
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,765 Disability Gamechanger
    I'll be watching what little they allow us to see tomorrow 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    110,000 + complaints to the BBC for their "blanket" coverage last weekend, really? these people should get a life, ABC Justin Welby spoke well today, you really do have to feel for The Queen. x
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't think we can definitively say that the coverage was blanket, but it certainly was wide ranging across the BBC. I was listening to a podcast hosted by a Radio 1 DJ and he explained that they had prepared for situations like that, where you get an announcement which will make national and international news and trigger a period of mourning, and the staff were well trained in what was to happen. 

woodbine said:
    110,000 + complaints to the BBC for their "blanket" coverage last weekend, really? these people should get a life, ABC Justin Welby spoke well today, you really do have to feel for The Queen. x
    I don't think this is an appropriate way to address the situation, people are well within their right to make a complaint when they don't like certain coverage or programming and on such a huge occasion as this I would imagine that it's almost unavoidable. It would be interesting to see a split of that total, to see who complained because of the subject, or because of the way it was covered. The Queen and the family do have my sympathy though of course, regardless of the reasoning for the complaints the headlines won't be pleasant to read for them.

I think here, we should remain respectful of people's thoughts and feelings on the subject without making comments like "get a life", and our focus on this thread should remain on paying our respects to Prince Philip and marking his funeral today.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Funerals are private affairs how can they express their feelings and cry when people are watching  
  • Ross_Alumni
    Funerals are private affairs how can they express their feelings and cry when people are watching  
    Interesting point, I'd never thought of that. However, when I think of the times where I've lost a loved one I would say that I don't care how many cameras are on me, if I feel like expressing my grief then I will do that. I don't think people watching will stand in the way of them saying goodbye.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ross_Scope from whst I was told about the funeral the Queen remained poised and didn't cry I didn't watch it I cant explain it properly as I don't want to offend  when it's televised and so many people are watching it doesn't feel right sorry 
  • AlexJohn
    AlexJohn Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    queen on tv looked very sad . she on her own sitting in the church. :(
  • Katharine_Alumni
    It was incredibly sad, but it was very poignant and an important moment I think. 
    Katharine McKnight
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    I watched the funeral on Saturday and I felt it was extremely sad but very poignant. Once again, our incredible Queen and her family, put duty above personal matters. The family were incredibly dignified in what must have been an incredibly difficult day. Prince Phillip would have been incredibly proud of them. Thank you. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    An interesting article Mike, thanks for sharing. Of course, I'm sure everyone will acknowledge and appreciate that Prince Philip wasn't without fault during his lifetime, 

Open and honest discussion is a welcomed thing as long as it is done respectfully from all sides, however as previously mentioned, this thread was intended for people to pay their respects following his passing. Even though he undoubtedly made some mistakes during his lifetime (the quotes in that article evidence that clearly), Prince Philip and the rest of the Royal Family mean a great deal to many people, which this thread has demonstrated. 

Due to the length of time that it has been since any comments were made here relating to the subject of paying respects, I believe this thread has served it's purpose and I will therefore be closing it.

This discussion has been closed.

Brightness