Music Nostalgia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Music Nostalgia

Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
I have just bought my first ever MP3 player, why I didn't before I have no idea, they are great. 
I put my golden oldies on it and it got me to thinking about the past. All the songs are as fresh as they were back then, even in mono, remember that? I'm thinking mostly around the late 60's. (My mid teens.) as well as beyond. All the people I met, all those I wish I had, friends made, friends lost, good times, along with the bad, Things that put a smile on my face and those that don't. Things that shaped my life and things that came close to destroying it. What I should have done, what I didn't and why. 
We all look back on the good memories, but what about the bad? They have after all played a huge part in the making of us after all.
I tend to look back on them all with a kind of fondness, I do own them, whether I want to or not, for they are as much a part of me as life itself. ?‍♂️
Any thoughts on past memories? and the music you listened to?
One of my biggest regrets is not meeting my wife Lori earlier I was 47 now married 20yrs.
The again she is American, the ' big pond' was between us, but not now. ?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    That's a lovely thread 

Music  does indeed provoke memories and for me both good and bad 

Some songs make me cry for what I have lost others bring joy of happy times 

I think like you no matter what we have been through it makes us who we are today 

One of my biggest regrets is staying with my ex when I knew he was cheating . But I kept pushing it away for sake of our son , but it all came out in the end and he left. I could have avoided 3 years of pretence and heartache if I had acted on my gut instinct 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited April 2021
    What a brilliant idea for a thread @Dragonslayer! Thank you for starting this thread :)

I wholeheartedly agree! The beauty of music is such that it helps us make memories of those things that have put a smile on my face, and those things that haven't. It's bittersweet really, isn't it?

I need to put my thinking cap on to be able to answer this one properly, but I'm sure it will be very insightful reading what other members have to say about their own music nostalgia memories.
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Welshjayne2021
    Welshjayne2021 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    The Eurythmics Touch LP. This always takes me back to when I met my husband in 1983.  Great thread.
  • Dragonslayer
    @janer1967
    Sad story, but I'm pleased to hear it came out all right in the end.
    Thank you for sharing.
  • Dragonslayer
    @Username_removed
    Thanks for the link, just looked at it, saved it to read again.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    I couldn't live without my music, most of which is from the mid 50's to early 60's, I have 1,500 on you tube and recently have been listening to my alexa.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Dragonslayer

A song that brings back a memory is.= Roy Orbison – I drove all night.

When Lori first arrived here, I drove through the night to Gatwick to meet her.
    I only had one pound coin in my pocket. My cards were all maxed out, having spent it all on fitting out a new bought house. (We still live there) I had money in the bank but no way of getting at it.
    I parked not knowing how I would get the car out of the car park. I had to ask her for the money a little later I drove straight through a red light while looking at her. (She screamed) nearly killing us both. Then drove the wrong way down a one-way road.
    I then went through a junction the wrong way, causing locals watching to laugh. Then Got us hopelessly lost. The car then started to make funny noises and play up and I wondered if it would keep running.  
    I finally booked us into a pricey hotel without knowing how I would ever pay for it. And later had to ask if she could pay. My card did in the end work, but I was a little worried at the time

First impressions mean a lot they say. Still, she stayed with me.

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Music does really affect your mood. I listen to music everyday. I have always got the radio or am listen to songs on YouTube. My go to song when I feel upset or I am in a bad mood is satellite by the hooters it is such a happy folk rock song and always make me smile.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I find that music can change your mood instantly. So many occasions where I've felt down or low energy, I stick on one of my favourite tracks and it can be instantly transforming.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Dragonslayer
    @Ross_Scope
    I totally agree with all you say. I always have a tune or song in my head that fits the mood I am in at the time. 
    Now I have a MP3 player I can take all of my tracks with me.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad to hear you have an MP3 player @Dragonslayer! I've had Spotify for a year or so and the convenience that provides is super for me.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Dragonslayer
    Hi @Ross_Scope
    I've got Spotify but only the free version, so I can't download anything.
    We also have free Amazon music with Prime, but so do many others without prime and I still can't download on that either. They just give it £2 cheaper. That will bring it down to Spotify price. So I'm not sure which one to go for.
    Maybe you could explain just how Spotify works for me please?
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,568 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    I feel like a dinosaur as I still download my music from iTunes (paying for 1 song at a time)!

Never thought we’d get to a point where I could say that!!
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dragonslayer. I don't use Spotify premium because I can be a bit of a cheapskate :D But I'd say it probably is worth it if you're listening to music a lot. I believe that the features of the paid service include:
    • being able to download music
    • no adverts on music when streaming
    • unlimited skips
    • being able to listen to any song you want, rather than it playing a playlist of related songs
    I think you can only download songs and such with Amazon Music Unlimited, which is an extra service. I believe that it may be cheaper for Prime customers though than non-Prime customers, so it's worth checking that.

Does that help? Feel free to ask any further questions, and I can try and either find out or let someone with first-hand experience answer for you :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Tori_Scope
    edited April 2021
    Does iTunes even still exist @66Mustang? :D I thought it was all Apple Music now? Things do feel like they're moving on quickly, I agree.

• Dragonslayer
    66Mustang said:
    I feel like a dinosaur as I still download my music from iTunes (paying for 1 song at a time)!

Never thought we’d get to a point where I could say that!!

Come on @66Mustang, get with it LOL. (By the way do we still say that?) ?
  • Dragonslayer
    Hi @Tori_Scope
    Thanks for the explanation. I am leaning towards Spotify, it seems easier to get around somehow and thanks for explaining something about it. ?
    I think one of the reasons is, like you I am also a bit of cheapskate. For me it will depend on how much I use it. I will consider it a little while longer. I keep thinking we pay out enough with TV channels, movies, mobiles, prime on top of all the usual bills, but then its only money I suppose.
     ?
    If I get 'lost' I'll ask for more help.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Just spotted your link to that BBC news story @Username_removed.

I like it - 'a diary of my life in the grooves'. Look forward to reading the full article. Thank you for posting that for us. 
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Tori_Scope
    From using the free version I've found it pretty easy to navigate @Dragonslayer. I think there's a reason it's one of the more popular streaming services. I got used to using Deezer as it used to have a better free service than Spotify did (in my opinion!), but that quickly changed once it became more popular. 

There's nothing wrong with taking your time to work out whether it'd be worth it. I believe that you can also get a 1 month free trial, so that might be worth looking into as well. 

• Dragonslayer
    @Tori_Scope
    I'm still thinking about it. Already put together a playlist of all my golden oldies I would like to download, also some Motown, but not sure what I would want after that. I suppose I could always be sneaky and do it on the free trail! ? 

Brightness