How was it in your area? (12th April easing) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How was it in your area? (12th April easing)

fluffycat
fluffycat Community member Posts: 233 Pioneering
Here, little queues at Charity shops / Hair dressers, in passing.

Pubs / eateries had busy seating outside in passing.

Supermarket walked straight in and 'Lush' had couple people before me (@ Train Station though concourse seemed busier of travellers)

On the news people queueing up early and surges to get in shops. (didn't chance it, though cheap fast fashion or sports shops not my first port of call)

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I live in a very small town and it was far busier than usual, people just enjoying seeing people, almost a holiday spirit. Nice to see and experience.

Also lots of new haircuts of various kinds and a cheering crowd at the pub nearby. Bless.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Anomalous123
    Anomalous123 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Not braving it out there. Social anxiety has got me locked up in the house now the restrictions are lifted. Ironically, I had more freedom when everything was closed. Don't know how to feel about that... ?
  • fluffycat
    Not braving it out there. Social anxiety has got me locked up in the house now the restrictions are lifted. Ironically, I had more freedom when everything was closed. Don't know how to feel about that... ?
    I know what you mean, it was like a scene from an apocalypse film with nobody about at one time. NOW getting more bustle is a bit unsettling.
    I have to walk on the opposite bank of river and avoid some open spaces as heaving. 

Just have to pick right moment. (and place)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    i didn’t walk around the town I was driven so avoided the madding crowd so to speak.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I had to go to the post office, town centre was packed, sports shops, card shop, etc had queues going down the streets, loads of cars parked up the side streets then there has been for months, was mad. 
  • Pixie51
    Pixie51 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    We have a shop in a tourist attraction village and it was pretty mad out there. Was amazed how many people had come out. Last lockdown people seemed to head to the big high streets then after about a week started coming. The main village itself had queues into all the barbers ?
    Yoga heals the soul ??
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Very quite where I live some shops declined to open some have closed down any way porthcawl quite  neath quite Barry Island quite we haven't got cafes or pubs open here yet  on the wales corona virus group most people said they will be sticking to online shopping 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Haven't been out today, think we will leave it till the end of next week when hopefully it will be quieter.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm still not venturing out until I've had the second dose of the vaccine (this Saturday) but will wait until the end of the month. I love Primark but photos of people camping outside in tents is just madness, why get up and wait outside a store at a ridiculous time and wait hours just to buy things that won't last long.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Lisatho11987777
    There is always some one lol well it's different trying to light bleach lol 
  • Chrissilk
    Chrissilk Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Not going to do any shopping in supermarkets. My main weekly shop is done by one of my daughters. I can get most of what I need otherwise from the small shop in the village five miles away from where I live. 
  • Ayoung1979
    Ayoung1979 Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    I've been just going to work and home a lot.  I did venture out with my dad and brothers and co workers yesterday for secretary's day to some bars.  I was a blast!! Miss hanging out with people!! We'll see what happens as far as the COVID goes. I do have my first shot and will be getting my second one on the 29th.
  • fluffycat
    Seems to be pubs rammed and some eateries.
    shops (my type) on the whole not too bad but I anticipate quieter moments to go there. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I think it definitely does help going at quieter moments @fluffycat. I went to a large charity shop my friend had said was really full with a queue outside on a Saturday on a Tuesday afternoon and it was basically empty. 

It's the same with pubs I think, but also depends on how they've laid out the seating. I've been out to two places for drinks now and they were very well organised, with plenty of space between each table.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Some parts of wales have started to rise eith corona virus but there was an out break at the cup cake factory that then lead to corona virus in a school doesn't tske long to spread  hopefuly they will contain it to those areas 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Yes, I spotted that on the BBC news website @lisathomas

Thankfully, there seems to have been a swift response to the outbreak though and it looks like just one pupil from the local school had tested positive at the time that news report was published? 

I know that these types of outbreaks might still be a cause of concern for some people as restrictions continue to ease. But I would hope that we can all feel somewhat reassured by the hard work that the Health and Safety Executives (of both England and Wales) are continuing to do in terms of keeping these outbreaks confined and keeping us as safe as possible.
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • MarkM88
    It’s gone crazy. No social distancing, no one sanitising their hands, people basically so close to me I’ve literally had to ask them to step back. 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Yes, unfortunately I've seen similar behaviour @MarkN88 when I have ventured out. 

I'm not sure there is an answer and I do hope that people responded appropriately when you spoke to them. 

• MarkM88
    @Caz_Scope yes I’d say 75% of people have took noticed but the odd few have had something to say. 

I still avoid going out as much as I can to be honest. 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Well, I'm pleasantly surprised that the 75% majority took notice and took your comments on board @MarkN88.

So that's one positive, I suppose? :)

Brightness