ESA for National Insurance top up, unable to work with Fibromyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA for National Insurance top up, unable to work with Fibromyalgia

charlie62
charlie62 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I am 57 and have suffered with Fibromyalgia for approx 15 years, but have managed to do full and part time work, until recently when I had to resign from my well paid job. I could no longer manage the stress  and my pain, depression and anxiety prevented me from concentrating properly, so I started to make mistakes. Rather than try to understand my situation, my new manager decided to put me on Capability procedures, which just made it work. Therefore, as there was no other work the company were willing to employ me in, I resigned. Rather than work my 3 months notice, which I was more than happy to do, they paid me off with one week's notice without reason,  which felt like a kick in the teeth for all the hard work I had done over the last 3 years. 

My question is, can I claim ESA or NI top ups only, as I have a military pension and do not need think I am eligible for income support payments?

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @charlie62, I'm really sorry to hear you were treated like that when you left your job.

You might want to look at ACAS as they could offer support about the way you have been dismissed.

Also, here is a benefit calculator which will allow you to see what you could be entitled to.

Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• charlie62
    charlie62 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Chloe, thanks for the suggestions.
    unfortunately, as I left of my own accord, ACAS were unable to help.
    As far as benefits are concerned, I am not eligible because of my pension. NI contributions are only paid if I am entitled to Job seekers Allowance or similar, which I can't claim because I am not able to work and my pension. So, bit of a catch 22 scenario, looks like I have to live on what my pension provides and top up my NI in order to qualify for a full state pension.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    If you have a Fit Note from your GP you can claim new style ESA. Even if your pension income means that nothing is payable you will get referred for a Work Capability Assessment and if found to have Limited Capability for Work will get NI credits.

ESA payable is reduced by 50% of pension income above £85/week.

If you haven’t done so yet worth checking your pension forecast to see how many more years of credits you need to get a full pension.

https://www.gov.uk/future-pension-centre
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.