Hi, my name is postmanpat68! New Style ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is postmanpat68! New Style ESA

postmanpat68
postmanpat68 Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
Hi.
After an initial application for NS ESA in early DEC 2021 I finally had a telephone assessment on the 27th April 2021 and the assessor ( who seemed quite pleasant and informal) did say they were only going to ask about physical aspect as they are reluctant to discuss for fear of upsetting people on the phone, I'm sure she did say they had enough medical evidence for my mental capabilities (10 page physiological report) caused by a serious car accident in 2019.

The interview took around 50 mins to complete and she wouldn't give any indication with regards to which group or if I was fit to work unlike a previous assessment in 2016.

Really not sure how to interpret these telephone assessments.

Comments

• postmanpat68
    Hi.
    After an initial application for NS ESA in early DEC 2021 I finally had a telephone assessment on the 27th April 2021 and the assessor ( who seemed quite pleasant and informal) did say they were only going to ask about physical aspect as they are reluctant to discuss for fear of upsetting people on the phone, I'm sure she did say they had enough medical evidence for my mental capabilities (10 page physiological report) caused by a serious car accident in 2019.

The interview took around 50 mins to complete and she wouldn't give any indication with regards to which group or if I was fit to work unlike a previous assessment in 2016.

Really not sure how to interpret these telephone assessments.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

It isn't the assessor who makes a decision so they shouldn't comment on the outcome of the assessment , they just do the report and make recommendations 

It is the dwp decision maker who decides based in the report and your other evidence 
  • janer1967
    Answered on your other post 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Hi @postmanpat68,

Hope that janer1967's post has helped to put your mind at rest a bit about your telephone assessment?

Do keep in touch as you go along, if you have any further questions about the process. Or if we can be of help with anything else. 

Look forward to seeing you around on the community :)

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • postmanpat68
    Thank you janer and caz.
    I had been working since 2016 and fighting through mental and physical pain but things have now gone downhill faster than I thought.
    Going from a decent wage with WTC to a basic £74 a week is a struggle and now the waiting game is making me anxious.

• janer1967
    I understand that it must be a struggle have you checked if you are entitled to any other benefits 

Do you claim pip or think you may be eligible 
  • postmanpat68
    Hi.
    I have checked and it was only NS ESA that I could claim as my partner has shares, I will think about PIP.

I am expecting a accident compensation payout in the near future and have received a letter from the compensation recovery unit who will recover any benefit payments from the defendant.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @postmanpat68

I've my fingers crossed for the outcome of your assessment and would agree with looking at claiming PIP if your impairments impact your ability to carry out the activities and descriptors listed.   

You mentioned that your mental and physical pain had gone downhill recently and I wondered how you were coping?  Have you spoke with your GP about this?  Please let us know if you think you need additional support as we'd be happy to help.

Just to add: I've merged your two threads together about this question so you can see all answers in one place.  Take care and speak soon.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    @postmanpat68 I think @Cher_Scope just beat to the punch in getting back to you there.

So sorry to hear that you finding things a struggle. That's completely understandable of course, given the circumstances. 

In addition to what Cher's already mentioned, I thought it might be helpful to leave a few other PIP links here, in case that's something you do decide to pursue. So, we've got the Scope website PIP info, plus the 'What is PIP?' and 'What is the PIP test?' from Turn2Us. They might be helpful starting-points for you, if and maybe when you do decide to put in a PIP claim. Though I realise that you might be holding off on doing anything for the time being, given what you've said about your potential compensation.

Plus, you can always pop back and speak to us any time you feel like things are getting a bit much. As I said earlier, please do keep in touch and we'll do our best to support you whilst you're waiting to hear back about your assessment.
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • postmanpat68
    Hi All.
    Last night had an unexpected ESA payment of backdated ESA and a letter the same day to say I am in the support group which was totally unexpected.
    It took 3 weeks after telephone assessment, but as yet no sign of the report.

As my claim is N/S ESA (cont based) at least I know it will not be restricted to 12 months :).
  • postmanpat68
    Hi @postmanpat68

I've my fingers crossed for the outcome of your assessment and would agree with looking at claiming PIP if your impairments impact your ability to carry out the activities and descriptors listed.   

You mentioned that your mental and physical pain had gone downhill recently and I wondered how you were coping?  Have you spoke with your GP about this?  Please let us know if you think you need additional support as we'd be happy to help.

Just to add: I've merged your two threads together about this question so you can see all answers in one place.  Take care and speak soon.
    Hi. Thank you for your concern.
    I am in sort of regular touch with all the health professional involved as much as allows at this time.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi All.
    Last night had an unexpected ESA payment of backdated ESA and a letter the same day to say I am in the support group which was totally unexpected.
    It took 3 weeks after telephone assessment, but as yet no sign of the report.

As my claim is N/S ESA (cont based) at least I know it will not be restricted to 12 months :).
    You will not get sent a copy of the report unless you requested it (which there is little point in doing).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.