I was told DWP would stop paying my ESA if I notify them of a change of address. Is this correct? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I was told DWP would stop paying my ESA if I notify them of a change of address. Is this correct?

dementia
dementia Community member Posts: 3 Listener
i have been told if i change my address  the dwp  wont pay my esa dlaany more which i was awarded  for dementia is  this correct please any one thank you

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    A change of address does not affect your ESA.

However if you are claiming Housing Benefit you may only be able to transfer the HB claim if your new address is in the same local authority. If you are moving to a new local authority, in most cases, you will not be able to make a new HB claim. If that is the case and you want help with rent you would need to claim Universal Credit.

The act of claiming UC would then end your income based ESA. If you have contribution based ESA entitlement that would continue alongside the UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • dementia
    calcthoithanktti said:thankthnk
    A change of address does not affect your ESA.

However if you are claiming Housing Benefit you may only be able to transfer the HB claim if your new address is in the same local authority. If you are moving to a new local authority, in most cases, you will not be able to make a new HB claim. If that is the case and you want help with rent you would need to claim Universal Credit.

The act of claiming UC would then end your income based ESA. If you have contribution based ESA entitlement that would continue alongside the UC.

• dementia
    thank you thats helped put  my mind at resti will stay away from uc has long has i can the horror storys i have heard in my area are scary trying to get  honest trying toget a s8 forwardanswer from the dwp is nigh on imposible

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.