Do you put milk in before you put in the hot water when making tea. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you put milk in before you put in the hot water when making tea.

Tree1
Tree1 Community member Posts: 23 Listener
Do you put milk in before you put in the hot water when making tea.

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Always after for me. 
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    Never before unless i forget etc 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Always but always after.  I shudder at the thought of before  :D
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    Always after! Sacrilege to do otherwise when you're making a mug of tea ;)

Though I am sometimes tempted to do it if I'm ever offered a pot of tea and a tea cup when I'm out and about!
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Really controversial point below

[spoiler]I'm sure there is a scientist somewhere with a reason I am wrong but I don't think it makes a difference?[/spolier]

Edit: my spoiler didn't work :( sorry!!
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    @66Mustang To be honest, I don't think it makes a difference either. :)

But you're right! There is a scientist who would say that we're both wrong. This from a Guardian piece published in 2014:

To test the recipe for the perfect cup of tea put forward in 1946 by George Orwell himself, Dr Stapley of Loughborough University established that putting the milk in after the boiling water is incorrect, as it causes the milk to heat unevenly (as opposed to pouring the water on top of it). This uneven heating of the milk causes the proteins in it to denature, meaning they lose their structure and “clump”, affecting the taste and contributing to that skin you get on the top. So when someone says they can tell if you put the milk in first or second in the tea you’ve made for them just by tasting it, turns out they probably can.

Interesting read for anyone who's interested in a bit of tea trivia . Also adding my own disclaimer here! This was based on a very quick bit of Google research and it could be that my science is already out of date on this one!

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I put the milk in first, I know how much I need and pouring the tea in saves me from stirring.
    Equally controversial however, do you warm the pot before adding tea and then hot water? (I used to when loose tea was used, lovely smell too.)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Milk after, always!

P.S. @66Mustang- you can make something a spoiler by typing code <div class="Spoiler">your text here</div> in the HTML view (I think!). It might be easier to click the 'format' icon and select 'spolier' from that list though :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I forgot there was a button to change the formatting, thanks @Tori_Scope!
    Interesting research @Caz_Scope!!! I still don’t think I’d be able to tell though, maybe I just have a less sophisticated palate :p
  • Pixie51
    Pixie51 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    edited May 2021
    Always after for me! I find I can't get the stength I like if the milk goes in first!
    Yoga heals the soul ??
  • Dusty_Hammer
    Dusty_Hammer Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    No! That’s savage! Ha ha.  :D

Water. Tea bag. Let it brew for approx 4 mins and give it a good mash before you take it out. Then add the milk. 
  • spankie76
    spankie76 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    I think the idea of milk first was because in days past we made tea in tea pots and used China cups and hot water in China cups can damage them so the milk cooled it as its poured. That's just from things I've read as I don't drink tea ?
  • Dusty_Hammer
    @spankie76 ahhh yes that would make sense. 

Interestingly with coffee I put the coffee in, then the milk, then the water, as I don’t want to burn the coffee. I worked in a coffee shop briefly and it was drilled into me that you should always put water in first and then coffee so that you don’t burn it - so my logic puts the milk in first so I don’t burn it! Not sure it’s the same with the instant coffee I use but not a habit I can get out of! Ha ha
  • happyhippygirl
    happyhippygirl Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    If makeing tea bag tea,I put the milk in last has you can judge how strong you want it,But if you makeing loose tea in a teapot,put milk in first
  • spankie76
    edited May 2021
    @Dusty_Hammer I understand that I worked in a coffee shop and I was told the same and got a bit of a talking too when I said "how can you burn something that's already been roasted" but they couldn't explain it ?. Needless to say that job didn't last long
  • Marie88
    Marie88 Community member Posts: 114 Courageous
    I've always put the milk in after. I leave the tea bag to brew for a good 5 minutes - I like it nice and strong!
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,828 Disability Gamechanger
    I tend to put tea bag 1st, when I've put milk 1st by mistake takes ages to get it to right strength, plus you never see people putting milk in the tea pot.
    With coffee hot water can burn the coffee so milk 1st or mixed with coffee then hot water.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I always put milk in first when I make coffee 
  • Dusty_Hammer
    spankie76 said:
    @Dusty_Hammer I understand that I worked in a coffee shop and I was told the same and got a bit of a talking too when I said "how can you burn something that's already been roasted" but they couldn't explain it ?. Needless to say that job didn't last long
    Brilliant ? it never occurred to me to ask such an insightful question lol.
    You can taste the difference with fresh coffee though, I don’t actually think it matters with freeze dried 
  • spankie76
    @Dusty_Hammer it's the reason I don't keep jobs for long, apparently I ask too many questions and think too much ? and friends come to think of it?

Brightness